Ohio v Florida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bradleydee16

Ohio v Florida

Postby bradleydee16 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I am in a bit of a dilemma. Ohio resident 3.61/161 four years of military service (Army CPT) and attended military school. My wife is Cuban from Miami and I am a Cleveland native (born and raised). Naturally my wife and her family are pushing me towards Miami. Her mother would babysit my son so my wife can finish her degree, etc. I have had my eye on OSU since before I started LSAT prep. Looking at the rankings I OSU quite a bit above Miami. If you're married you understand you don't want a disgruntled spouse. I kept hearing Miami places well in south florida but it's expensive. I see the conveinience of Miami but my heart and head tell me OSU makes more sense. I also am not sure I will get into Moritz. I am also contemplating sitting this cycle out, retaking and applying ED OSU. I love Ohio and Cleveland is home but I'm not going to lie the Miami area is pretty amazing. I am just very nervous from what I keep hearing about UM.

My list of preference
1. OSU
2. UM
3. Case
4. UF
5. Columbia -got several emails, letters and a fee waiver (I honsetly laughed at this one but maybe they need a better representation of middle class white males with an average LSAT and GPA...that's diversity right?)

soj

Re: Ohio v Florida

Postby soj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Seriously, though, I heard that Miami's legal market is hard to get into without strong ties. Not sure if your ties through your wife count as strong, but definitely consider job prospects in your decision.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Don't know much about Ohio hiring, but FL hiring is a toilet. I wouldn't go to Miami unless I got a full scholarship. Even then maybe not.

bradleydee16

Postby bradleydee16 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Lebron might be the only person who can take his talents to south beach and have a job. Well even he isn't working right now.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

This is the one time I might advocate Case, if you don't get into OSU. They throw out a lot of full rides (or near it) and I think the new Dean has called off all stipulations for them unless you flunk out. You also have ties to Cleveland and housing is pretty cheap, especially compared to UM.

Don't even waste the fee report for Columbia.

bradleydee16

Postby bradleydee16 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm

The only consideration for me is I won't have to worry about the cost of living in Miami. I will have a place to stay. My wife would go to school with GI bill benefits and my mother in law will be giving us a car and baby sitting my son. I just don't want to go into a not so good job situation in Miami because my mother in law is babysitting my kid for free. I think OSU is my best option. What are my chances there? Am I correct in estimating a little less than 50/50. My numbers are fairly close so I would guess I am not a long shot?

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm in a similar situation with you, OP. I'm NE OH born and raised and also looked into schools in FL (I'm still open to FL but shifted a lot of my attention towards other locations). IMO, your best option might be to move to Miami, stay for a year, claim Florida residency, and eventually try your luck at UF. FL market is really tough right now, but UF would give you the best job opportunities. Plus, in-state tuition would be a great benefit.

It's tough to get into UF out-of-state because of their residency requirement. You would likely have a tough time this cycle, but you would have good chances as a FL resident. I think the biggest hurdle in this sitch would be getting your wife to pick up and move to GVille.

I give you props for looking at staying in OH. I hate this state with everything I have and am counting down the seconds til I'm out. I still love my CLE sports teams, though. Go Browns!

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:35 pm

bradleydee16 wrote:1. OSU
2. UM
3. Case
4. UF
5. Columbia

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 pm

bradleydee16 wrote:Lebron might be the only person who can take his talents to south beach and have a job. Well even he isn't working right now.

Sadly this

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Have you gotten into these law schools yet? Threads posing hypotheticals in the "Choosing a Law School" forum are a waste of time and space. Wait to see what schools you get into and then come back if you still aren't sure.

And you're not getting into Columbia and the only other law school worth attending on that list is OSU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”