Pittsburgh Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
89vision

Bronze

Pittsburgh

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 pm

I want to stay in Pittsburgh, any schools other than Pitt I should consider? I am not considering Duquesne, and Pitt is my top choice (I'm at and above their medians).

I'm looking at schools relatively close to PGH, I'm thinking about CWRU, OSU, Cincy, PSU, and Temple (instate). I don't know how well they place in PGH.

I am interested in public interest/con law, want to go into the public sector, if that matters. I have 30+ fee waivers and want to narrow my list down.

Any insight?

Thanks!

JK910

New

Re: Pittsburgh

Post by JK910 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Why apply to Temple if you want to work in Pittsburgh? If you want to work in Pittsburgh, it's really Pitt or nothing.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:24 pm

U Pitt or bust.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:01 pm

mrtoren wrote:U Pitt or bust.
Yeah outside of the T14 Pitt is your best option. OSU, CWRU, Temple etc. dont place well in Pittsburgh.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:05 pm

JK910 wrote:Why apply to Temple if you want to work in Pittsburgh? If you want to work in Pittsburgh, it's really Pitt or nothing.
Not so if you have ties, but you're right in the respect that outside of the T14 + a few super-regional schools (I've heard Notre Dame, which doesn't sound implausible given PGH's high concentration of Catholic residents), Pitt is the best choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JK910 wrote:Why apply to Temple if you want to work in Pittsburgh? If you want to work in Pittsburgh, it's really Pitt or nothing.
Not so if you have ties, but you're right in the respect that outside of the T14 + a few super-regional schools (I've heard Notre Dame, which doesn't sound implausible given PGH's high concentration of Catholic residents), Pitt is the best choice.
Dont Reed and K&L Pittsburgh OCI at Penn? I was almost sure they did, or at least used to.
Also heard of the Notre Dame thing. I know a few Notre Dame grads who are associates in biglaw here, which is interesting because the market tends to be relatively insular.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:34 pm

In state tuition is several thousand dollars cheaper and I like their externship opportunities more than Pitt's.

My numbers are a good fit for Pitt, but I want to apply to a couple of other schools. I just sent in my application. Thought it would be good to apply to more schools than Pitt.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Con Law? Wut?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:49 pm

89vision wrote:
In state tuition is several thousand dollars cheaper and I like their externship opportunities more than Pitt's.

My numbers are a good fit for Pitt, but I want to apply to a couple of other schools. I just sent in my application. Thought it would be good to apply to more schools than Pitt.
I see your line of reasoning, but if you want to stay in Pittsburgh, its really U Pittsburgh or T14. However, even T14 grads may have a hard time breaking into firms that historically hire from U Pitt. Pittsburgh is a small secondary market that doesn't have the exposure that Philadelphia or Chicago do. Not a whole lot of competition outside of its main university.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks! Pitt's my top choice, I'm worried about a c&f addendum and some disciplinay issues I had during undergrad. I'm retaking in dec because if I boost my score two or three points I would definitely get money (according to their dean of admissions). I'm applying to schools I received fee waivers from. Just seeing if there were any other good places to throw in an application. Duquesne has awful employment prospects from what I hear, and I don't like their catholic affiliation. I saw Scalia at duquesne and the dean of admissions wasn't impressed by the school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:30 pm

89vision wrote:Thanks! Pitt's my top choice, I'm worried about a c&f addendum and some disciplinay issues I had during undergrad. I'm retaking in dec because if I boost my score two or three points I would definitely get money (according to their dean of admissions). I'm applying to schools I received fee waivers from. Just seeing if there were any other good places to throw in an application. Duquesne has awful employment prospects from what I hear, and I don't like their catholic affiliation. I saw Scalia at duquesne and the dean of admissions wasn't impressed by the school.
Don't go to Duquesne. Pitt students are having enough trouble finding jobs.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
89vision wrote:Thanks! Pitt's my top choice, I'm worried about a c&f addendum and some disciplinay issues I had during undergrad. I'm retaking in dec because if I boost my score two or three points I would definitely get money (according to their dean of admissions). I'm applying to schools I received fee waivers from. Just seeing if there were any other good places to throw in an application. Duquesne has awful employment prospects from what I hear, and I don't like their catholic affiliation. I saw Scalia at duquesne and the dean of admissions wasn't impressed by the school.
Don't go to Duquesne. Pitt students are having enough trouble finding jobs.
Yes Duquesne law is an awful, awful place in regards to employment.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Bust your butt for the LSAT and go to Pitt. If you improve enough, you can possibly swing a near full ride.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 am

DefyingGravity wrote:Bust your butt for the LSAT and go to Pitt. If you improve enough, you can possibly swing a near full ride.
With extremely few exceptions, the most Pitt gives is 14k a year.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 am

DefyingGravity wrote:Bust your butt for the LSAT and go to Pitt. If you improve enough, you can possibly swing a near full ride.
That is the plan. My actual score was much lower than my PT's (4-9 points), and if I can hit my PT average, I'll be happy. I was stressing the first time around, and it was the first test that I studied for and choked, I'm still a bit salty. I went to a prospective student day event, toured the school, and sat in on a class. I hear the most Pitt gives is half tuition, except maybe for diversity scholarship's. I plan to apply for the public interest scholarship.

I'd be happy going there, should I have ED'd? I'm currently at the median's, but I'd like to push my score to definitely receive a Dean's scholarship.
Last edited by 89vision on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 am

I wouldn't Ed. If you hit a 161 you get an automatic half ride you won't get through Ed.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 pm

top30man wrote:I wouldn't Ed. If you hit a 161 you get an automatic half ride you won't get through Ed.
Great. The 161 promises 10K, not 14K (tuition is currently around 28K). I'm just nervous about the C&F...nothing legal, but that's the only knock on my application.

I can get extended time on my undergrad work and tests if needed (dr's excuse), but LSAC puts an asterick if you get extra time on the LSAT.

Do schools question the legitimacy of your score if you receive extra time? A little late for that, but just curious. I know everyone would do better with more time, but I do have legitimate medical documentation. I'm frustrated because my IQ is so much higher than my LSAT scores (probably like everyone one here, I was tested in grade school). I wish admissions was based on IQ!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:30 pm

89vision wrote:I wish admissions was based on IQ!
:lol:

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
89vision wrote:I wish admissions was based on IQ!
:lol:
*were. Luckily grammar isn't on IQ tests...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”