Creating the best lawyer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cmartin5970

Creating the best lawyer

Postby cmartin5970 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:52 pm

I live in NC and have a 3.5 GPA with a 163 LSAT. I have applied to all the NC law schools except for Duke. I was wondering what anybody knew about which school makes the best court-room lawyer. I do not want to work as a politician or corporate law, but instead more public interest as a public defender or for Legal Aid.

These are the schools I applied:

UNC
WFU
NCCU
Elon
Campbell
Richmond
Charlotte

jackattack17

Re: Creating the best lawyer

Postby jackattack17 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 pm

For PI, with those numbers, and assuming you're IS, there is no other choice than UNC. Go Heels.

cmartin5970

Postby cmartin5970 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Ive talked to a few alumni of NCCU and a few other lawyers around here and they all said that NCCU may not have the prestige but they create the best court-room lawyers and if my goals are to work as a public defender or something along those lines it would be my best choice due to the low low cost of tuition, the training and the relative reputation in the state of NC

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:they create the best court-room lawyers

You have got to be kidding me.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:34 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:UNC (maybe)
WFU
NCCU
Elon
Campbell
Richmond
Charlotte

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:39 pm

biglaw$ wrote:
cmartin5970 wrote:UNC (maybe)
WFU
NCCU
Elon
Campbell
Richmond
Charlotte

+1

UNC or WFU with $$$$ but with your stats there really is no other better choice than UNC especially if we are talking sticker

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:makes the best court-room lawyer

No law school does a good job of this.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:38 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:Ive talked to a few alumni of NCCU and a few other lawyers around here and they all said that NCCU may not have the prestige but they create the best court-room lawyers and if my goals are to work as a public defender or something along those lines it would be my best choice due to the low low cost of tuition, the training and the relative reputation in the state of NC

These alum you spoke with are obviously biased. TCR is UNC easy. In-state tuition is insanely cheap and you get the 'prestige' you certainly do not get with central.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm

moandersen wrote:
cmartin5970 wrote:Ive talked to a few alumni of NCCU and a few other lawyers around here and they all said that NCCU may not have the prestige but they create the best court-room lawyers and if my goals are to work as a public defender or something along those lines it would be my best choice due to the low low cost of tuition, the training and the relative reputation in the state of NC

These alum you spoke with are obviously biased. TCR is UNC easy. In-state tuition is insanely cheap and you get the 'prestige' you certainly do not get with central.

+1

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

dstars823 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

+1

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:00 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:I live in NC and have a 3.5 GPA with a 163 LSAT. I have applied to all the NC law schools except for Duke. I was wondering what anybody knew about which school makes the best court-room lawyer. I do not want to work as a politician or corporate law, but instead more public interest as a public defender or for Legal Aid.

These are the schools I applied:

UNC
WFU
NCCU
Elon
Campbell
Richmond
Charlotte

WF is well known for being a litigation powerhouse. UNC is known for being PI focused. The rest aren't worth going to.

Edit: WF isn't worth going to at sticker (as opposed to UNC in state), but no one goes there at sticker.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 pm

dextermorgan wrote:WF is well known for being a litigation powerhouse lulz

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm

No school creates good courtroom lawyers. Look for one with a bunch of clinics in crim law and that gives a lot of credit for externships so you can learn courtroom advocacy in the field.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Veyron wrote:No school creates good courtroom lawyers. Look for one with a bunch of clinics in crim law and that gives a lot of credit for externships so you can learn courtroom advocacy in the field.

This. Even one semester/summer of clinic or internship experience taught me more than I've learned in nearly three years of law school. I managed to learn a lot quickly by doing clinics and finding places to volunteer and earn pro bono hours.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

UNC, WFU & NCCU.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:UNC, WFU & NCCU.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I don't think that OP is seeking biglaw.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I don't think that OP is seeking biglaw.

That's probably a good thing considering UNC isn't exactly a perennial biglaw recruiting hub. Be that as it may, UNC is the only school worth attending out of the ones OP mentioned.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 pm

I feel like with all your posts you would have somewhat legit things to say, but your answer says otherwise....

/mini rant

WF is hardly a lit powerhouse. The courses offered tend to be more lit focused than transactional, so maybe thats what you meant.

full disclosure: WF 2L

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Maybe someone should explain to cmartin5970 that the issue is not which law school "creates the best lawyer" but which law school provides the most law students with legal jobs. I think OP's a little in the dark about a number of basic TLS assumptions, like the fact that the legal market is in the shitter.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Bronte wrote:Maybe someone should explain to cmartin5970 that the issue is not which law school "creates the best lawyer" but which law school provides the most law students with legal jobs. I think OP's a little in the dark about a number of basic TLS assumptions, like the fact that the legal market is in the shitter.

Wanting to be a trial lawyer is a very different proposition than getting most other jobs. Obviously OP needs to go somewhere where he doesn't pay a penny because aiming to be a trial lawyer is a crapshoot but otherwise, the normal recruiting rules don't apply.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23 pm

moandersen wrote:

I feel like with all your posts you would have somewhat legit things to say, but your answer says otherwise....

/mini rant

WF is hardly a lit powerhouse. The courses offered tend to be more lit focused than transactional, so maybe thats what you meant.

I have read some not-nice-things on TLS about WF, but according to the Go To Schools List, Wake does a better job than UNC of biglaw placement - I would be curious to hear from a WF student - care to comment moandersen?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Veyron wrote:
Bronte wrote:Maybe someone should explain to cmartin5970 that the issue is not which law school "creates the best lawyer" but which law school provides the most law students with legal jobs. I think OP's a little in the dark about a number of basic TLS assumptions, like the fact that the legal market is in the shitter.

Wanting to be a trial lawyer is a very different proposition than getting most other jobs. Obviously OP needs to go somewhere where he doesn't pay a penny because aiming to be a trial lawyer is a crapshoot but otherwise, the normal recruiting rules don't apply.

Criminal defense can be extremely competitive. In this market, getting any full time, JD-required job is competitive because it qualifies you for LRAP programs. Thus, students displaced from better schools inside and outside of any given market are clamoring for JD required jobs.

On another note, being a trial attorney is not a rare thing among those who actually do practice law. It's true that many people hold the misconception that being a lawyer means going to court. It's also true that even among "trial attorneys," the majority of cases settle and the majority of work is out of court. But that shouldn't lead to the opposite misconception that few lawyers are trial attorneys.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
moandersen wrote:

/mini rant

I have read some not-nice-things on TLS about WF, but according to the Go To Schools List, Wake does a better job than UNC of biglaw placement - I would be curious to hear from a WF student - care to comment moandersen?

I don't want to derail the thread. Post in the Ask a Law Student wf thread and you should get some good responses. Big law is def obtainable from wf

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm

biglaw$ wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:WF is well known for being a litigation powerhouse lulz

Lol, out of state idiot.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”