W&L v. UGA v. Pepperdine v. Baylor

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wannagotolaw

W&L v. UGA v. Pepperdine v. Baylor

Postby wannagotolaw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Any combination- Where should I go?

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: W&L v. UGA v. Pepperdine v. Baylor

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Where do you want to work, and what is the coa for each?

wannagotolaw

Postby wannagotolaw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Full tuition at each. I want to either clerk or US Attorney/ D.A.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

If in-state tuition at Georgia, then that is the easy answer. Otherwise, decide between Georgia and W&L.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If in-state tuition at Georgia, then that is the easy answer. Otherwise, decide between Georgia and W&L.

Agreed.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 pm

wannagotolaw wrote:Full tuition at each. I want to either clerk or US Attorney/ D.A.

Not trying to be harsh, but none of these schools are worth sticker (with the possible exception of UGA at instate rate).

My suggestion would be attend a school for cheap (with no rank/gpa stipulations) in the area you would like to work and shoot for the local DA's office. (USAO is not likely to happen unless you go to a top school and have great grades...and it rarely is a straight-from-Lawschool gig.) Retaking the LSAT and waiting a year is generally TCR as well.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Easy UGA. I don't know how easy it is to get instate, but that would make it a lot cheaper. Definitely not Pepperdine or Baylor and W&L is not worth sticker.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

don't go to baylor.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Haven't applied to Baylor, but would like to hear a critique of Baylor, beyond the usual TLS schpiel

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Haven't applied to Baylor, but would like to hear a critique of Baylor, beyond the usual TLS schpiel

Search my posts for Baylor and you'll find a couple of threads with a lot of information.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Easy UGA. I don't know how easy it is to get instate, but that would make it a lot cheaper. Definitely not Pepperdine or Baylor and W&L is not worth sticker.

Extremely easy. So easy that almost everyone gets an equalization scholarship for 1L year.

wannagotolaw

Postby wannagotolaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 am

What about W&L and UGA- same price?

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 am

wannagotolaw wrote:Full tuition at each. I want to either clerk or US Attorney/ D.A.

Clerking will be very difficult from any of those schools. I don't know how US Attorney / D.A hiring works in southern markets, but if you want to do that you should aim for a school that has a solid LRAP. Paying off sticker debt from any of those schools with a PI salary would be awful.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:59 am

wannagotolaw wrote:What about W&L and UGA- same price?

bad hypo since they're not the same price

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:03 am

You aren't getting the USAO straight out of law school, or probably even with 5-7 years of law school. It's extraordinarily competitive.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 am

buckilaw wrote:

Clerking will be very difficult from any of those schools. I don't know how US Attorney / D.A hiring works in southern markets, but if you want to do that you should aim for a school that has a solid LRAP. Paying off sticker debt from any of those schools with a PI salary would be awful.

Uga is actually really good for clerking. Look at its numbers.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:51 pm

This is really easy, UGA.

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Haven't applied to Baylor, but would like to hear a critique of Baylor, beyond the usual TLS schpiel

Talk to any Baylor 2Ls or 3Ls and all will tell you how miserable it is except for maybe one or two. SMU with a large scholarship, or UH with a scholarship or in-state tuition are much better options with much better job prospects.
I think the bad things you hear about it are mostly all true. It is full of gunners who live and breathe law school. It is not that people are going to hide books or anything like that, but it is intense and competitive in the work everyone puts in.

They give out lots of scholarship $, but as I said, the competition is steep (and the class size is small) and the stipulations are not as generous as you think. I have a feeling basically everyone except for a few (literally) are on scholarship, it is their main way to draw people to the school.

If you pay sticker, ever, for any semester there, you are probably screwed. The job situation is terrible there b/c they are the fourth best school in TX in a small market and they mainly place in Government work like prosecutor's offices which have become much more competitive. Or, the other option, which is why they stress knowing how to take cases to trial, is you go open a solo practice in BFE, Texas, and try to pay off your debt doing divorces & DUIs.

They are on a quarter system. 4 sets of exams each year.

The professors are pricks, not personally, it is just part of the school's gimmick. They take pride in humiliating their students and getting the better of them. There is a reason most of their faculty are Baylor Law alums, because they are crazy, and have been through this insane method and believe in it (I will give them that, I do think they believe in it and it probably is helpful to some people, just not all). There was a guy on here who sat in on a class and asked a professor for a syllabus - he refused, for no good reason - they are just like that. Sit in on a class in the first week and see if you still want to attend.

Everything costs a ridiculous amount at the school, to use the Baylor (undergrad) gym, it is something like $300 per quarter. The parking decal is a couple hundred although parking is not an issue. In the first quarter, you have about 12 books, at least 4 to 5 are Texas specific.

Waco is depressing, dirty & seedy. The worst part is that there just doesn't seem to be much of a legal community there. Or, the lawyers that do practice there are a lot of solo practitioners and don't need any help.

The building is really super nice, and the library has a great view so I don't think there are any complaints on the facilities.

Their claim to fame is Leon Jaworski as an alum, and they even have some cutesy museum set up for him in the library. I know, you are probably saying who in the hell is that? He prosecuted Nixon, but he is probably more famous for starting Fulbright & Jaworski, a big law firm. What is more sad, though, is that you only have about a 1% shot of getting a job with that firm.

Bottom line: if you get in to Baylor with a scholarship, you probably have the #s for Houston or SMU with a scholarship, which are much better options. And even more so, if you actually can do well at Baylor, then you are competitive enough to re-take the LSAT and get in to Texas, the best option.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

UGA all day. and doesn't UGA have the exact same 165 wall as SMU?

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I vote Pepperdine. At least when you graduate w/o a job you'll be able to tell your grandkids you lived in Malibu for three years.

T00L

Postby T00L » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I know TOO MUCH about all of those schools, having been accepted to each last cycle. I also went to undergrad at one of them...PM me if you want to know which one.

Only go to Pepperdine if you are heart set on their dispute resolution program. Malibu is expensive, boring and bubble-like.

Georgia is cheap, respected, and more real.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”