Can't Get Any More Non-Traditional Than ME!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cinephile

Re: Can't Get Any More Non-Traditional Than ME!

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:10 am

tarp wrote:
Actually, I would. Who are you to accuse me of sexism, without knowing me? No single parent of 3 kids could possibly succeed in law school without doing a huge disservice to those children. Now, if they have a family member who is willing to watch the kids for a significant amount of time, it might work out.

Source: I am a parent.

I'm not a parent, but grew up with a single mom who worked and don't see how that's so different from going to school. My mom brought her work home with her and it seemed fine and normal. Besides, this is what daycare's for.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

lol just lol at this thread

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm

tarp wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
tarp wrote:How can you go to law school if you're a single mother with 3 kids? Who is going to watch the kids?

Really? This comment was not helpful. Also, I doubt if you'd have said this to a single father.

Actually, I would. Who are you to accuse me of sexism, without knowing me? No single parent of 3 kids could possibly succeed in law school without doing a huge disservice to those children. Now, if they have a family member who is willing to watch the kids for a significant amount of time, it might work out.

Source: I am a parent.

I'm glad that being a parent gives you the grounds to tell other people who are also parents that they're doing it wrong.

tarp

Postby tarp » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Your reading comprehension is highly suspect, Johnnyutah. So the original poster is currently in law school while raising 3 kids? Oh wait, she is not. So how could I be telling her she is "doing it wrong" when she isn't doing it yet? As a parent who is in law school, I am saying it would be very difficult to juggle law school with parental responsibilities. Daycare is not a substitute for a parent, plus it is highly expensive. I know a mother of two boys who is in law school, and her ex-husband basically has the kids 24/7. Law school is demanding. Raising children is a full-time job. Now if they are three teenagers, that might be a different story. But small children are a huge time commitment. You cannot sit a toddler in front of the TV and expect to read your casebook. It just doesn't work that way. If you are not a parent, then you have absolutely no concept of this and no amount of description could elucidate it for you. Until you become a parent, you will not understand.

Also, law school is quite different from working. The schedule is far less predictable. You may well have to take some evening classes when there is no daycare available, especially in a part-time program. Also, you may end up going to law school in a city where you have no family nearby to help.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Love opening random threads to see tarp ruining them. And here I thought it was just the Philadelphia ones.

tarp

Postby tarp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:15 am

Beach_terror: Ruining, or providing more insight than your limited brain has ever provided?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:53 am

tarp wrote:Beach_terror: Ruining, or providing more insight than your limited brain has ever provided?

No. I meant ruining.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:47 am

tarp wrote:Daycare is not a substitute for a parent, plus it is highly expensive. I know a mother of two boys who is in law school, and her ex-husband basically has the kids 24/7. Law school is demanding. Raising children is a full-time job.

Please keep telling her about what it's like to be a parent. Epic douchebaggery is exactly what this thread needs more of on Thanksgiving.

Additionally,
tarp wrote:Also, law school is quite different from working.

No, it's really not.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”