Which T14 is having a car TCR? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rickfox

New

Which T14 is having a car TCR?

Post by rickfox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Most helpful in, I'm guessing, Michigan, Duke, and UVA. Maybe boalt too?

Gold

Re: Which T14 is having a car TCR?

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 pm

rickfox wrote:Most helpful in, I'm guessing, Michigan, Duke, and UVA. Maybe boalt too?
It's unnecessary at Michigan if you live downtown (we ride buses for free). If you live further out, it's immensely helpful but people still do without.

rickfox

New

Post by rickfox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:38 pm

This is really helpful, ty. If you live in LC, do you need a car?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm

rickfox wrote:This is really helpful, ty. If you live in LC, do you need a car?
No, in fact I'd advise against it as there is no parking. Although the LC is closing for construction and I don't know what complexes they've leased to take up the slack. I'd guess they are close by. Try posting in the Michigan thread...someone has to know.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Im actually interested in this too. Whenever I go to DC I would really prefer to have a car so if I ended up at Gtown I'd want to keep my car, but not if I never use it. I know if I go to CLS or NYU I'll have to sell my baby, and at Michigan I'm trying to figure this out now because my car is too low to survive a Michigan winter. I'm curious about Chicago schools though (NU, uchi) and berkeley. I've never been up there, but if their public transportation is anything like LA im keeping my car.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:55 pm

hyakku wrote:Im actually interested in this too. Whenever I go to DC I would really prefer to have a car so if I ended up at Gtown I'd want to keep my car, but not if I never use it. I know if I go to CLS or NYU I'll have to sell my baby, and at Michigan I'm trying to figure this out now because my car is too low to survive a Michigan winter. I'm curious about Chicago schools though (NU, uchi) and berkeley. I've never been up there, but if their public transportation is anything like LA im keeping my car.
They plow roads here. If it's front-wheel drive...it's fine.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:00 pm

blowhard wrote:
hyakku wrote:Im actually interested in this too. Whenever I go to DC I would really prefer to have a car so if I ended up at Gtown I'd want to keep my car, but not if I never use it. I know if I go to CLS or NYU I'll have to sell my baby, and at Michigan I'm trying to figure this out now because my car is too low to survive a Michigan winter. I'm curious about Chicago schools though (NU, uchi) and berkeley. I've never been up there, but if their public transportation is anything like LA im keeping my car.
They plow roads here. If it's front-wheel drive...it's fine.
No, lol, I really can't bring my car to areas with a lot of snow/rain because I'm liable to die driving if I do lol. I've got a 300zx TT from the 90s so not only is it rwd, but I've literally 360 drifted across an LA on ramp after getting new tires and not aligning them when my boost kicked in. They are very prone to fishtailing/drifting in moisturized conditions. Been terrified to drive in rain / snow that's heavy ever since. Plus the salt will just eat out the bottom so I'd rather just sell her to someone that will love and cherish her (it should be apparent I've got an unhealthy relationship with my car).
Last edited by hyakku on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:01 pm

You'll need one at Texas and probably Cornell.

Most students at NU don't have one, but I do.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:You'll need one at Texas and probably Cornell.
Texas? Really? The bus system in Austin isn't that bad, it just depends on where you choose to live.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 pm

hyakku wrote: but if their public transportation is anything like LA im keeping my car.
FWIW, in my experiences traveling the country, east coast and midwest city public transit is 10,000 times better than LA, provided that you understand where you need to look when you look at housing. It's a different story if you're in a smaller place.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:06 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Texas? Really? The bus system in Austin isn't that bad, it just depends on where you choose to live.
Well... maybe need isn't the correct word. It is Texas, so I'm assuming that the pure convenience of having a car would be nice. Taking the bus to a grocery store or Walmart would suck.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Well... maybe need isn't the correct word. It is Texas, so I'm assuming that the pure convenience of having a car would be nice. Taking the bus to a grocery store or Walmart would suck.
The area around the UT-Austin campus is one of the few places in Texas where being carless is fine. There's two bus systems to rely on, the normal city system and the university shuttle system, which runs routes between the campus and student-popular residential areas. An H-E-B grocery store is not too far away by bus, and there are smaller groceries (and co-ops) closer to campus. Heck, if they're still running it, they even have a Sixth Street shuttle running late into the morning on weekends; it's literally a bus to take you to get drunk and party and then bring you back.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
I lived in Austin one year w/o a car and two years with. Life is much easier with, but it can be done without, provided you're okay with bumming rides from people a lot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
hyakku wrote: but if their public transportation is anything like LA im keeping my car.
FWIW, in my experiences traveling the country, east coast and midwest city public transit is 10,000 times better than LA, provided that you understand where you need to look when you look at housing. It's a different story if you're in a smaller place.
I'm really interested in mid west transportation as I'm least familiar with those areas and two if my top choices are there (Chicago and Michigan). I was born and raised in NNJ/NY and travelled up and down the east coast to visit family extensively, and have lived in LA the past four years so I'm pretty familiar with that. If the systems are similar to say, NJ transit, Im considering keeping my car. But if it's more like NY and buses/trains are every few minutes then I'm not. I guess I'll talk to one of my old roommates from there, but I'm pretty sure he had a car in high school so it wnt be too helpful.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Bicycling is always TCR w/ re: to transportation in urban areas. Public transport as a backup.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:48 pm

hyakku wrote:
I'm really interested in mid west transportation as I'm least familiar with those areas and two if my top choices are there (Chicago and Michigan). I was born and raised in NNJ/NY and travelled up and down the east coast to visit family extensively, and have lived in LA the past four years so I'm pretty familiar with that. If the systems are similar to say, NJ transit, Im considering keeping my car. But if it's more like NY and buses/trains are every few minutes then I'm not. I guess I'll talk to one of my old roommates from there, but I'm pretty sure he had a car in high school so it wnt be too helpful.
Well, nothing is as good as NYC transit. It's the best in the country. But it's hardly all the PATH or anything like that.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd get rid of it at NU, and Chicago depends on where you live. A lot of people have them but you can survive without. Parking runs close to 150 a month in the downtown area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Texas? Really? The bus system in Austin isn't that bad, it just depends on where you choose to live. TEXAS ISN'T T14
FTFY

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
I'd get rid of it at NU, and Chicago depends on where you live. A lot of people have them but you can survive without. Parking runs close to 150 a month in the downtown area.
I'd actually prefer not to have my car here, but my wife doesn't want to get rid of it. It doesn't get used on weekdays, and it's not even necessary on weekends. The only time we really use it is for road trips, which would be cheaper to just use a rental.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
I'd actually prefer not to have my car here, but my wife doesn't want to get rid of it. It doesn't get used on weekdays, and it's not even necessary on weekends. The only time we really use it is for road trips, which would be cheaper to just use a rental.
Are you at Chi? I ED'd there and if I get in, we'll be going car-less

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Are you at Chi? I ED'd there and if I get in, we'll be going car-less
NU. It's actually easier to not use a car is most cases.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Grizz wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Texas? Really? The bus system in Austin isn't that bad, it just depends on where you choose to live. TEXAS ISN'T T14
FTFY
Surprise, Texas is T-14 this year.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 pm

paul34 wrote:
hyakku wrote:
No, lol, I really can't bring my car to areas with a lot of snow/rain because I'm liable to die driving if I do lol. I've got a 300zx TT from the 90s so not only is it rwd, but I've literally 360 drifted across an LA on ramp after getting new tires and not aligning them when my boost kicked in. They are very prone to fishtailing/drifting in moisturized conditions. Been terrified to drive in rain / snow that's heavy ever since. Plus the salt will just eat out the bottom so I'd rather just sell her to someone that will love and cherish her (it should be apparent I've got an unhealthy relationship with my car).
Proper winter tires can help a great deal with your Z, as can staying out of boost. But keeping two different sets of tires (and wheels, if you want) isn't cheap.

I can't imagine driving my 350 in any weather conditions involving moisture..

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”