Regional v. Top Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Regional v. Top Schools

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote: I mean, I did pick my lowly T7 over NYU so clearly, I put my money where my mouth is. And, since it worked out splendidly for me, I would wager that I know a little something about how recruiting in the Wild West works.
Touche. Fair enough dude. I'm glad you did well, and I don't doubt that you know more than me about mountain west recruiting, especially if that is where you ended up landing a position (or at least targeting)... I'm actually a fan of yours on here (we have the U of A connection... or at least the AZ connection)... but I felt like you came on rather strong considering that I was just offering generalized speculation that probably (as far as generalizations go) isn't totally off as a rule of thumb.. Like I said though, feeling kind of feisty, and I came on strong so my apologies if I offend you. :D
No problem man. You looking to target AZ yourself or going elsewhere?
I've targeted multiple markets including AZ, ATL, TX, and NYC.. No luck yet.. But I don't have super-strong grades, and I am at a T20 (as opposed to Penn, which actually has pretty kick-ass placement power), so its not much of a surprise to me that I haven't landed private sector up to this point (and obv is not a good time to still be looking)...

I am starting to look more at Govt. and public interest options (which in many ways I would prob prefer to firm in any case), including some overseas non-profit type options... But getting private sector initially is nice for the loans--I'm happy for you man; I wish the legal market didn't suck so bad, making it ridiculously hard for many of us to get well-paying jobs, but I def feel happy for peers who do get something regardless of my own situation.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote: I mean, I did pick my lowly T7 over NYU so clearly, I put my money where my mouth is. And, since it worked out splendidly for me, I would wager that I know a little something about how recruiting in the Wild West works.
Touche. Fair enough dude. I'm glad you did well, and I don't doubt that you know more than me about mountain west recruiting, especially if that is where you ended up landing a position (or at least targeting)... I'm actually a fan of yours on here (we have the U of A connection... or at least the AZ connection)... but I felt like you came on rather strong considering that I was just offering generalized speculation that probably (as far as generalizations go) isn't totally off as a rule of thumb.. Like I said though, feeling kind of feisty, and I came on strong so my apologies if I offend you. :D
No problem man. You looking to target AZ yourself or going elsewhere?
I've targeted multiple markets including AZ, ATL, TX, and NYC.. No luck yet.. But I don't have super-strong grades, and I am at a T20 (as opposed to Penn, which actually has pretty kick-ass placement power), so its not much of a surprise to me that I haven't landed private sector up to this point (and obv is not a good time to still be looking)...

I am starting to look more at Govt. and public interest options (which in many ways I would prob prefer to firm in any case), including some overseas non-profit type options... But getting private sector initially is nice for the loans--I'm happy for you man; I wish the legal market didn't suck so bad, making it ridiculously hard for many of us to get well-paying jobs, but I def feel happy for peers who do get something regardless of my own situation.
Sorry to hear it man, where do you actually want to work? I mean, I'm sure you'd take a job anywhere but like, if you had the choice.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Veyron wrote: Well, where do you want to work?
I know regionality is very key with hiring.. problem is that I have lived all over country and really don't have super strong preferences (except prob do prefer somewhere warm)... But it looks like I could possibily have some options for international placements for next summer which I would be eager for, although the prob is that they may not translate to offers...

Anyway, sorry to highjack the thread here... I do think for substantial scholly a strong regional school will often prove the better value than a top school at full price, especially if the regional school is where the person wants to end up. But I think top schools can sometimes open doors that regional schools can't for sure.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Veyron wrote: Well, where do you want to work?
I know regionality is very key with hiring.. problem is that I have lived all over country and really don't have super strong preferences (except prob do prefer somewhere warm)... But it looks like I could possibily have some options for international placements for next summer which I would be eager for, although the prob is that they may not translate to offers...
Yah, I feel you man, I got slaughtered wherever I didn't have ties.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 pm

While we're hijacking the thread...

What kind of questions do they ask re ties? Do they really drill you that hard? Is there any way to convince an employer that you want to work in a given market even though you have no tangible/quantifiable ties? Say, for example, you go to UT and want to work in Seattle/Portland/SF, but your entire resume screams Texas. Any chance at convincing these firms you actually want to live there and will stay around?

Would it be better to just take a job at a firm in your local market (assuming you can get one), and try to lateral after a few years? I ask as someone who would ideally like to work in a market that I have no ties to, and I'm wondering what my best chance is at making that happen...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:43 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 pm

I just find that hard to understand. I've been around TLS long enough to see people mention ties in any thread related to legal employment, but I've never understood the "why?" of it other than they are afraid that you are going to jump ship to go back home, but it seems like any competent lawyer could convince someone that they are going to stick around. Or is there more to it than that?

Even if you mass mailed lots of small and midsize firms, you really think they would just trash a Texas resume? Is it different for biglaw than small or midsize firms?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm

+1 to Veyron on PacNW. All my family is in Oregon, I've worked there and lived there, but never in Seattle specifically. You would think that would be good enough, but Seattle firms weren't buying it. I had an interviewer say, "So why Seattle? I see you've worked in Washington State and Oregon, but never actually in Seattle... Why not Portland or Spokane?"

I felt like all of the east coast was more open, the South was more insular, Minneapolis seemed more insular (e.g. being from another Midwestern state wasn't good enough) Milwaukee was more open to more tenuous ties... But I would definitely ask around TLS/OCS before going all in on a market based on whatever ties you have.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 pm

yeah I'm trying to do my research before I bid at OCI next fall (I know this is a long way away, but right now this thread is a welcomed distraction).

I don't want to bid exclusively on markets that are likely to dismiss me for not having ties and leave me out in the rain with no umbrella (hehe)

If it comes down to no job v. job in TX, I would obviously choose the latter. BUT...I don't want to give up on moving to PNW if I can make it happen, even if it requires a lot of extra leg work...

edit sp
Last edited by crit_racer on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 pm

crit_racer wrote:I just find that hard to understand. I've been around TLS long enough to see people mention ties in any thread related to legal employment, but I've never understood the "why?" of it other than they are afraid that you are going to jump ship to go back home, but it seems like any competent lawyer could convince someone that they are going to stick around. Or is there more to it than that?

Even if you mass mailed lots of small and midsize firms, you really think they would just trash a Texas resume? Is it different for biglaw than small or midsize firms?
They would be even more likely to trash a Texas resume than a large form IMHO. At least a big firm might be open to persuasion if you were top 5%, EIC of the law review or something.

As for the why, well, spin doesn't usually convince firms, you really do need legitimate ties. They are worried you are going to jump ship because believe it or not, it costs a shitton to recruit and train you. Thats why they might be open to persuasion by the cream of the UT crop because, after all, you COULD go anywhere so wherever you end up is presumably where you most want to be. Problem is, if you've never lived in the market, they'll probably just think you want to be there because you have some idealized notion of it and once you live there you might want to jump ship after a while even if you DID want to live there initially.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:59 pm

crit_racer wrote:yeah I'm trying to do my research before I bid at OCI next fall (I know this is a long way away, but right now this thread is a welcomed distraction).

I don't want to bid exclusively on markets that are likely to dismiss me for not having ties and leave me out in the rain with no umbrella (hehe)

If it comes down to no job v. job in TX, I would obviously choose the latter. BUT...I don't want to give up on moving to PNW if I can make it happen, even if it requires a lot of extra leg work...

edit sp
Sorry but you're totally, totally boned in PacNW. The only thing that might possibly sorta help is 1L summer there, but still, my money is on "epically boned in PacNW."

Or maybe transferring to U of W? Jesus, maybe...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
crit_racer wrote:yeah I'm trying to do my research before I bid at OCI next fall (I know this is a long way away, but right now this thread is a welcomed distraction).

edit sp
Sorry but you're totally, totally boned in PacNW. The only thing that might possibly sorta help is 1L summer there, but still, my money is on "epically boned in PacNW."

Or maybe transferring to U of W? Jesus, maybe...
Yah, I mean, if you transferred DOWN like that that has got to show some pretty serious commitment to the market. Still, probably no dice.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:02 pm

lol @ Seattle firms thinking U of W is transferring "down."

But in all seriousness, not only is it icy to non-Seattle folks, there are like 40 jobs in the whole city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm

lol @ Seattle firms thinking U of W is transferring "down."
Touche.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:13 pm

How about bringing a T14 (NU, specifically) JD home to Portland? My ties are as deep as they come: lived here 25 years, family here, UG in-state, own a condo here. Can median at NU compete with the top of the classes at the Oregon schools? I can't believe I'd be viewed as a flight risk, but how much do they care about prestige vs. local school pride?

Obviously I'll try not to be median, but someone has to be. :P

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Veyron wrote: In answer to your question, that person is never going to get a job in the PNW. The only way to pull it off would be to work there for a few years before law school before applying. The PNW is one of the most insular legal markets in the country.

Questions I got re ties:

Why do you want to work here, why not ________.
What is your connection to _________.
Why did you go to Penn?
Did you go to high school here?

etc.
My favorite in the South was very oblique references to your ties, almost trying to trap you. They would rarely ask directly, but you'd get a lot of variations on the following:

From people in market Y: "So I see you worked in home market X this summer. Did you enjoy seeing your family and being back home, and how did you enjoy working in X?"

TCR: "I did enjoy home and family, but I really missed [a, b, and c] in market Y. Although I really enjoyed my time in X, I'd really like to work in market Y because of [1, 2 and 3] in market Y."
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How about bringing a T14 (NU, specifically) JD home to Portland? My ties are as deep as they come: lived here 25 years, family here, UG in-state, own a condo here. Can median at NU compete with the top of the classes at the Oregon schools? I can't believe I'd be viewed as a flight risk, but how much do they care about prestige vs. local school pride?

Your ties are good but Portland is like Seattle X1000 - INSANELY INSANELY INSANELY competitive. Frankly, I just don't think that median will cut it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How about bringing a T14 (NU, specifically) JD home to Portland? My ties are as deep as they come: lived here 25 years, family here, UG in-state, own a condo here. Can median at NU compete with the top of the classes at the Oregon schools? I can't believe I'd be viewed as a flight risk, but how much do they care about prestige vs. local school pride?

The only problem is that there aren't many jobs. It looks like around 30 SAs at all the NALP firms? And not any of them come to our OCI (for Portland). But I don't think you'll have a ties problem.

Like I mentioned before, in secondary/tertiary markets, I see two "hiring habits" that are firm-dependent and not market-dependent. Firms are either:

1) Going to want to hire top 1%/5%/10%/whatever at local schools and not be wow'd by T14 (unless you're in a similar top X% there too, but remember, this habit is at least partially attributable to school loyalty), or
2) Firms are going to be prestige-conscious and cut you a little more slack on grades (if you need that).

In my experience, I think branch offices of bigger firms are probably more impressed with T14 than purely local firms, but it's hard to know until you get in there.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Veyron wrote:

Your ties are good but Portland is like Seattle X1000 - INSANELY INSANELY INSANELY competitive. Frankly, I just don't think that median will cut it.
This might be of interest:

--LinkRemoved--

This is not all the firms in Portland that take 2Ls, obviously, but if I had to generalize, looks like T14 + UT and Vandy plus the cream of the crop from local schools.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:22 pm

Gail wrote:I'm getting the picture that law school is not at all a way to relocate across the country. Firms like kids who grew up near their city.
It is if you have a fake fiance'.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Grizz wrote:
Veyron wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

This is not all the firms in Portland that take 2Ls, obviously, but if I had to generalize, looks like T14 + UT and Vandy plus the cream of the crop from local schools.
The problem is that that isn't even enough of a sample size to generalize off of. 31 summer associates, damn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Grizz wrote:
Veyron wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I actually did the breakdown of Portland NALP firm associates hired since 2000. About 51% are from the 3 Oregon schools, and 21% from T14.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nItVU90VkE

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Veyron wrote:

+1

I think this is true of most smaller, insular markets. While firms would love to have someone from a higher ranked school w/ ties, they'd love even more to have someone with Law Review/Order of the Coif distinctions.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Veyron wrote:

+1

I think this is true of most smaller, insular markets. While firms would love to have someone from a higher ranked school w/ ties, they'd love even more to have someone with Law Review/Order of the Coif distinctions.
FL is eating up people from T14 strong regionals (Vandy, UT) to the detriment of UF and FSU. Soooo many people who have ties and leave.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Hmmm, I doubt Penn is looked at as equal to Columbia in any region...
In DC, there is HYS, then TTT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”