Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
peanutmms
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby peanutmms » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

I was recently offered admission into Cardozo's January program with a $20k/year scholarship, 2.95 stip.

After speaking to lawyers and reading what's out there, I am starting to become nervous about attending. I would like to ask for some advice. Should I accept the offer and attend Cardozo starting in January, or wait for other offers? If I decide not to attend Cardozo, I plan to submit applications to some t-30 schools, such as W&L, Washington U, UC Davis, Fordham, etc. My cgpa is horrible (2.9) but my LSAT is relatively high (169). I realize applying to a t-30 school may be a reach. I also have pretty weak softs, I would say. I would be sending in the applications as early as possible. Sometime in the next week.

I have already applied to some other schools, such as Lewis & Clark, U of Minnesota (because they sent me a fee waiver), Maryland, Tulane, University of Illinois (Free app), Baylor, Wake Forest, Loyola Chicago, and Loyola LA.

My concern is that although Cardozo may be a higher ranked school than some of the other ones I applied to, it may be the highest one I receive an offer from. However, Cardozo is only ranked ~4-5 in ny, while a school like L&C is probably top in Oregon.

If I do not accept the offer, I plan to apply for their fall program again.

I would like some advice on whether or not I should wait it out, or accept the offer and what you believe my chances at a t-30 school is.

thanks!
Last edited by peanutmms on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Hold out man. URM with 169, you can do a lot better IMO.

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby sach1282 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 pm

URM with above 168 LSAT is almost a sure thing as WashU I think. Maybe even above there. Hold out.

peanutmms
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby peanutmms » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:41 pm

sach1282 wrote:URM with above 168 LSAT is almost a sure thing as WashU I think. Maybe even above there. Hold out.


Sorry, I wrote Washington U by accident, when I meant to write University of Washington haha. I hope you didn't make the same mistake. And I also made the mistake of saying I was URM. Geez, I'm sorry. I'm actually just pacific asian, so probably not URM.

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby sach1282 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:44 pm

I did not. Look at http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1112

Anyone with a 168+ gets in, regardless of GPA. That lowest point is a 168/3.0, and he's not even URM! You are IN at WashU at the very least, maybe even T-14 (though URM cycles are really hard to predict).

Edit: Just saw that you retracted URM status. Well, that makes T-14 out of the question, but nonetheless, WashU is still in play.
Last edited by sach1282 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 pm

You're not a URM. Just wait for other responses.

rebeccac
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: Cardozo January w/ $20k or wait for other offers?

Postby rebeccac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 pm

In exactly the same boat here. If we planned to decline and apply again for fall, should we contact them first?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests