Got into Villanova with $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
philly_law
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby philly_law » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Many people not from the area said they were grilled on why they would want to come here and if they were really committed to staying. I was born and raised here, and I was frequently asked by Philly firms if I wouldn't rather be in NY. The Wilmington firms were even worse. It seemed overly paranoid to me, but they all asked my about 8-10 questions about my past involvement with Wilmington, who I know there, isn't NY better, etc. It's important to them, it just is. I don't agree with it, I think going to one of the Philly T2s shows strong commitment to the area, and Wilmington is literally 25 minutes away. But from my experience and other people's that went through it, it just seems like it's important to the firms.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 pm

philly_law wrote:Many people not from the area said they were grilled on why they would want to come here and if they were really committed to staying. I was born and raised here, and I was frequently asked by Philly firms if I wouldn't rather be in NY. The Wilmington firms were even worse. It seemed overly paranoid to me, but they all asked my about 8-10 questions about my past involvement with Wilmington, who I know there, isn't NY better, etc. It's important to them, it just is. I don't agree with it, I think going to one of the Philly T2s shows strong commitment to the area, and Wilmington is literally 25 minutes away. But from my experience and other people's that went through it, it just seems like it's important to the firms.

Right, having ties helps, but your prior post seemed to imply it was next to impossible to get a job here without them.

User avatar
philly_law
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby philly_law » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Fair enough, didn't mean to imply that. It feels damn near impossible to get a job here with anything from where I'm sitting haha. And you're right, really stellar people got good jobs, regardless of where they're from. I just wanted OP to know it's another obstacle to getting a biglaw job, and that s/he will need good answers about being commited to the area.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby Wholigan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:59 am

I'll say this about ties - I do think it makes it harder without ties besides attending a Philly area school. I think for Wilmington, that is even more of a factor. Using my own experience (Not at Nova, Philly ties, but no Wilmington ties), I had a CB rate over 50% with Philly firms, while on the other hand I did 4 Wilmington interviews and got 0 call backs, including a couple of interviews which I thought went very well. I do know of at least one person who got a Wilmington offer with no other ties other than going to school in the area, but it's tough to do.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am

Villanova 2L here, if you're not in the top 25% after 1L just drop out. Top 15-20% "should" probably be the drop out line, tbh. Depends on your goals I guess, but SA class sizes are still extremely small.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby Noval » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Top 10% seems narrow, I was thinking more like 20%. I assume you're just talking about biglaw? TLS forgets sometimes that there are good jobs outside of biglaw.


That pay well? On the percentages this is really splitting hairs. I guess it matters whether 1 out of 10 students in the class get a job that will allow them to live comfortably and raise a family or whether 2 of 10 do.

From what I've seen/heard, top 10% to be more or less biglaw secure, top 25% to have a shot at midlaw on up. Not excellent odds IMO.


It's a myth, midlaw almost never recruits and when they do, they are looking for experience.

Believe or not, but Villanova, just like Temple = Top 10% or get fucked up unless you got a killer connection/sucked a lot of cock.

Not adding "luck" into account, but Top-10% is pretty the only position where you shouldn't worry about employment.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Noval wrote:It's a myth, midlaw almost never recruits and when they do, they are looking for experience.

This isn't totally true. Technically, almost every DE firm is "midlaw" and a lot of philly firms are midlaw too. They don't recruit a lot, but they do recruit enough that people get jobs from them. That said, ITE midlaw and biglaw recruiting require the same grades.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Got into Villanova with $$$

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:48 pm

beach_terror wrote:Technically, almost every DE firm is "midlaw" and a lot of philly firms are midlaw too. They don't recruit a lot, but they do recruit enough that people get jobs from them. That said, ITE midlaw and biglaw recruiting require the same grades.

This. Midlaw, while still tough to snag, is not at all a "myth" in larger secondary markets like Philadelphia.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests