Buffalo, NY legal market

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sach1282

Buffalo, NY legal market

Postby sach1282 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:27 am

Anyone have any insight into the Buffalo, NY legal market?

My whole family is from Buffalo and I wouldn't mind going back there after law school.

My main interest is in litigation.

I know there are two NLJ250 firms in Buffalo (Hodgson Russ and Phillips Lytle). My mother worked at the latter for 5 years, then quit on the verge of becoming a partner because she gave birth to me and wanted to work part-time. I don't know if her having worked for them would have any impact, but thought I would mention it anyway.

Also, what T-14s would place better into the Buffalo market? I imagine the west coast schools and UT don't place well at all, but would that be mitigated by ties? Also, Cornell comes to mind seeing as how close Ithaca is to Buffalo. Aside from the aforementioned considerations, would any T-14 place better than any other into Buffalo?

noleknight16

Re: Buffalo, NY legal market

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I would imagine Cornell does well in Buffalo. I'm sure Syracuse has the possibility of being a decent option for Buffalo too

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

One of the toughest things about the Upstate New York market is that firms are afraid of losing offers to NYC firms, so local ties are almost a must. I know this holds true especially for the Syracuse/Rochester firms, and I'd assume it is the same for Buffalo as well. The ties that you have seem to be exactly what they are looking for, and as long as you reassure them you are set on Buffalo and not NYC, I think that most t-14/SU/UB are going to give you a fighting chance at these offices so long as you have the grades.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 pm

sach1282 wrote:Anyone have any insight into the Buffalo, NY legal market?

My whole family is from Buffalo and I wouldn't mind going back there after law school.

My main interest is in litigation.

I know there are two NLJ250 firms in Buffalo (Hodgson Russ and Phillips Lytle). My mother worked at the latter for 5 years, then quit on the verge of becoming a partner because she gave birth to me and wanted to work part-time. I don't know if her having worked for them would have any impact, but thought I would mention it anyway.

Also, what T-14s would place better into the Buffalo market? I imagine the west coast schools and UT don't place well at all, but would that be mitigated by ties? Also, Cornell comes to mind seeing as how close Ithaca is to Buffalo. Aside from the aforementioned considerations, would any T-14 place better than any other into Buffalo?

If Buffalo is like most smaller secondary markets, you can't just waltz in as a T14 grad and expect to be bowed down too. However, if you have strong ties to the area, I would imagine going to a T14 could prove advantageous, especially T14s that aren't so far away (eg, Cornell, Columbia, NYU).

More important, however, is that if you end up striking out at Buffalo, you'll have a lot more options as a T14 student than, say, someone from Buffalo, Syracuse, or Albany.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:23 pm

HeavenWood wrote:If Buffalo is like most smaller secondary markets, you can just waltz in as a T14 grad and expect to be bowed down too.

Is this true? Anyone have experience going from a T-14 to a small secondary?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:03 pm

sach1282 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:If Buffalo is like most smaller secondary markets, you can just waltz in as a T14 grad and expect to be bowed down too.

Is this true? Anyone have experience going from a T-14 to a small secondary?

lol I'm sorry, I meant "can't" (pretty unforgivable error).

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:20 pm

That's what I thought you meant, lol.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Cornell places really well to Buffalo and Rochester.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”