What is the best secondary legal market right now?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Re: What is the best secondary legal market right now?

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Grizz wrote:Not ATL. Highly desirable, and only 100ish 2L SAs in the whole city. And they want ties.

Not Miami, for the same season, but only about 50 2L SAs in the whole city. And strong ties.

Not Nashville. Far fewer than 50 2L SAs, and they want strong ties.

vandy guy right??

Ya

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:34 pm

American_in_China wrote:
chem wrote:In terms of Nashville, would owning a house there be sufficient for a tie?

If you want Nashville, either go to Vanderbilt, or be from Nashville/Tennessee and go to a higher ranked school than Vanderbilt. Just from my info that seems to be about the only way in.

Even from Vandebilt it's gonna be tough. A lot of positions still go to people with ties from Vanderbilt. Part of the reason it's tough is that pretty much everyone loves the town and would consider staying, to some extent. It's doable though. I know people who've gotten jobs in Nashville with their only tie, or most significant tie, being Vanderbilt.

chem

Postby chem » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Grizz wrote:
American_in_China wrote:
chem wrote:In terms of Nashville, would owning a house there be sufficient for a tie?

If you want Nashville, either go to Vanderbilt, or be from Nashville/Tennessee and go to a higher ranked school than Vanderbilt. Just from my info that seems to be about the only way in.

Even from Vandebilt it's gonna be tough. A lot of positions still go to people with ties from Vanderbilt. Part of the reason it's tough is that pretty much everyone loves the town and would consider staying, to some extent. It's doable though. I know people who've gotten jobs in Nashville with their only tie, or most significant tie, being Vanderbilt.

Thanks. My fiance would be doing her graduate degree at vanderbilt, so I'd want to be in Nashville a couple of years at least while she finishes it up. I'd be graduating from Vanderbilt in that scenario. Just trying to get a read on what cities I can work in that are close to or contain good schools (MVP and down)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:31 pm

chem wrote:
Grizz wrote:
American_in_China wrote:

Thanks. My fiance would be doing her graduate degree at vanderbilt, so I'd want to be in Nashville a couple of years at least while she finishes it up. I'd be graduating from Vanderbilt in that scenario. Just trying to get a read on what cities I can work in that are close to or contain good schools (MVP and down)

Not gonna be good from a non-Vanderbilt school. You'd have to make it clear you intend on settling in the area (not sure if that's true).

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:Anyone privy to how the Philly market is faring?

Not doing well. Most firms are taking between 2 and 10 SAs. A few are taking above 15, but not many.

How about Gov/PI in Philly?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Larry David wrote:Any insight into...
Houston
Dallas

Answer: Texas in general

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Larry David wrote:Any insight into...
Houston
Dallas

Answer: Texas in general

If you grew up in TX and have family there, you can go to school almost anywhere and say you went to the best school you could but always intended to return to TX after graduation. If you didn't grow up in TX, then you'd better be in school there, network like crazy, and practice articulating reasons you want to stay in TX.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”