IU v. UIUC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
biglaw$

New

Re: IU v. UIUC

Post by biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Grizz wrote:+1 to Romo.

If you go to law school, have fun learning about what exactly chicken is.
+1

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ahduth wrote: To the point, I suppose, I don't see IU-B in this picture at all. I wouldn't personally go to UIUC, but I don't think they're toast in terms of hiring. If you go to IU, I'd plan on working in Indiana.
If you're wondering what sort of thing I'm looking for when asking this question, this serves as a great example. Thanks :-)

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

IUB is definitely the weakest for the Midwest, but I'm just surprised that everyone thinks that they are that weak in Chicago.

Shame. Nothing can be perfect, I guess.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Gail wrote:IUB is definitely the weakest for the Midwest, but I'm just surprised that everyone thinks that they are that weak in Chicago.

The strongest in the midwest being...? (Despite the obvious Uchicago and NU)

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

HYS?

But really. I don't know. I guess that the consensus is WUSTL and ND, but I expect those. Then I'm guessing everyone would say that IUB stands below all the other public midwestern schools as well. I'd still go if I got the 120k, I think. Because I'm scared to death of a year off, and I'd be ok making a low law salary if I don't have to worry about the debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Gail wrote:HYS?

But really. I don't know. I guess that the consensus is WUSTL and ND, but I expect those. Then I'm guessing everyone would say that IUB stands below all the other public midwestern schools as well. I'd still go if I got the 120k, I think. Because I'm scared to death of a year off, and I'd be ok making a low law salary if I don't have to worry about the debt.
The strongest in the Midwest are Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan. Please assess the overall environment before ND hits the list.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 pm

ahduth wrote:
Gail wrote:HYS?

The strongest in the Midwest are Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan. Please assess the overall environment before ND hits the list.
He said excluding NU and UChicago. I forgot Michigan. My mistake.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm

biglaw$ wrote:
Grizz wrote:+1 to Romo.

If you go to law school, have fun learning about what exactly chicken is.
+1
Im not sure whether I should be proud or embarrassed that I understand this reference....

To add something on topic: UIUC > IUB

allamerican73

New

Post by allamerican73 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 pm

As a UofI alum, I'm disappointed in the "scandals" but have to laugh at the posters who think it's going to change the law school's reputation. Not a UofC or NU, but certainly better than any of the Chicago schools and on par with WUSTL and ND. Been that way for DECADES and not about to change. IUB is a fine school, too. Curious if the haters on this board bash Illinois and IUB, do they think it's worth going to any non T14 law schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I have no idea what romothesavior, a law student, is writing about concerning "international law". Also, I am not a law student. OP much of what the other 1Ls & OLs, & some 2Ls apparently, post are "echo chamber" posts that do not apply to your interests or to your situation.

P.S. Thanks for the PM. I agree !
Huh? I see you giving advice on here all the time about law school related stuff? You're seriously not even in law school?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm

allamerican73 wrote:As a UofI alum, I'm disappointed in the "scandals" but have to laugh at the posters who think it's going to change the law school's reputation. Not a UofC or NU, but certainly better than any of the Chicago schools and on par with WUSTL and ND. Been that way for DECADES and not about to change. IUB is a fine school, too. Curious if the haters on this board bash Illinois and IUB, do they think it's worth going to any non T14 law schools?
I'm with you on the UIUC front at least, I know administrative judges and various departmental lawyers who call that their alma mater. State of Illinois is filled with these folks.

And I agree on the reputation. Welcome to Illinois. Business as usual friends.

IUB I've never heard of however.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

ahduth wrote:
allamerican73 wrote:As a UofI alum, I'm disappointed in the "scandals" but have to laugh at the posters who think it's going to change the law school's reputation. Not a UofC or NU, but certainly better than any of the Chicago schools and on par with WUSTL and ND. Been that way for DECADES and not about to change. IUB is a fine school, too. Curious if the haters on this board bash Illinois and IUB, do they think it's worth going to any non T14 law schools?
I'm with you on the UIUC front at least, I know administrative judges and various departmental lawyers who call that their alma mater. State of Illinois is filled with these folks.

And I agree on the reputation. Welcome to Illinois. Business as usual friends.

Only a T25 school, NBD.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 pm

allamerican73 wrote:As a UofI alum, I'm disappointed in the "scandals" but have to laugh at the posters who think it's going to change the law school's reputation.
Especially for hiring in Chicago. Chicagoans are almost proud of these kinds of scandals. It's hard for me to imagine that Chicago firms are going to be terribly influenced by this.

In fact, if U of I pulled a Cornell and held OCI in Chicago next year, I bet they'd have record Chi placement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Only a T25 school, NBD.
That places like Marquette.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
allamerican73 wrote:As a UofI alum, I'm disappointed in the "scandals" but have to laugh at the posters who think it's going to change the law school's reputation.
Especially for hiring in Chicago. Chicagoans are almost proud of these kinds of scandals. It's hard for me to imagine that Chicago firms are going to be terribly influenced by this.

In fact, if U of I pulled a Cornell and held OCI in Chicago next year, I bet they'd have record Chi placement.
Haven't the last three IL governors all been indicted for something?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Opie wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I heard once you're more likely to end up in prison by becoming the Gov of IL than by murdering someone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 pm

iu = ttt

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am

IAFG wrote:
Opie wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I heard once you're more likely to end up in prison by becoming the Gov of IL than by murdering someone.
I think the math is there to support that. Even if you get caught murdering someone.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am

IAFG wrote:
Opie wrote:
IAFG wrote:

But you get to meet Oprah first, so that's cool.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:43 am

Gail wrote:IUB is definitely the weakest for the Midwest, but I'm just surprised that everyone thinks that they are that weak in Chicago.

All the Midwest T25ish schools are weak in Chicago, save for UIUC (kind of). Pre-ITE, a decent chunk of the T25 students went to Chicago biglaw. It is very, very hard now.

I go to WUSTL and it is supposed to be our top market, but people aiming for Chicago got slaughtered this year. The problem is that most of our Chicago OCI firms are cream of the crop firms up there (Sidley, Jones Day, K&E, Skadden, etc.), so they can be very picky. The non-elite Chicago firms simply don't have big enough class sizes to absorb many of us T25 folks, especially when you're mass mailing a firm that gets thousands of apps for like 8-10 spots. And a surprising number of strong Chicago firms don't do OCI here. Winston Strawn is probably our strongest connection in Chicago (great alumni who actively try to hire our students), but they only take 20-25 SAs total ITE, so only like 3-4 usually from WUSTL.

Things are probably a little better at UIUC, and probably slightly better at ND, but in general going to a T25 is a bad decision if you are dead set on the Windy City.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 am

romothesavior wrote:

All the Midwest T25ish schools are weak in Chicago, save for UIUC (kind of). Pre-ITE, a decent chunk of the T25 students went to Chicago biglaw. It is very, very hard now.

I go to WUSTL and it is supposed to be our top market, but people aiming for Chicago got slaughtered this year. The problem is that most of our Chicago OCI firms are cream of the crop firms up there (Sidley, Jones Day, K&E, Skadden, etc.), so they can be very picky. The non-elite Chicago firms simply don't have big enough class sizes to absorb many of us T25 folks, especially when you're mass mailing a firm that gets thousands of apps for like 8-10 spots. And a surprising number of strong Chicago firms don't do OCI here. Winston Strawn is probably our strongest connection in Chicago (great alumni who actively try to hire our students), but they only take 20-25 SAs total ITE, so only like 3-4 usually from WUSTL.

Things are probably a little better at UIUC, and probably slightly better at ND, but in general going to a T25 is a bad decision if you are dead set on the Windy City.
This. I'm just a 1L, but look, you're competing with the T6 + NU and Michigan. It's not NYC, there's not an unlimited number of jobs. I'm from NYU, and if you're an ND person looking for a Chicago job, I just took yours.

Gov't becomes a different story, because of the huge number of UIUC alums (again, at least afaik). But you better have ties - I have a couple judges who I might "call on." Illinois doesn't just have corruption, it runs on it - anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't lived there very long.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 am

romothesavior wrote:

I imagine this should lead people to prefer IUB at 120k over UIUC with maybe 45k or sticker. UIUC gives you better chances in a bloodbath for Chicago biglaw, but if its as bad as you say, why bother? Why not minimize debt and enjoy a career instead?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am

@Ludovico Technique: Yes, I am not in law school. Seriously. But I bet that you'll figure it out. :D

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Gail wrote:I imagine this should lead people to prefer IUB at 120k over UIUC with maybe 45k or sticker. UIUC gives you better chances in a bloodbath for Chicago biglaw, but if its as bad as you say, why bother? Why not minimize debt and enjoy a career instead?
If those are the numbers, then yeah you should probably do that. But if the numbers are closer, or you are an Illinois resident, I'd probably say take UIUC. All things being equal. Illinois is the better school by quite a bit. And you also get locked in tuition at Illinois, which probably would save you a few grand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”