From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
moshid

Re: From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

Postby moshid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:43 pm

pretty sure that was just a joke

edit: "that" meaning the post about being rich

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
GermX wrote:I know this thread has sidetracked into a "non-t14 =fail" thread. But I just want to say that there's A LOT of schools outside the t-14 which are pretty great. Fordham is definitely one of them. And GW simply put is not. It's a shitty, crappy school, and most of us now in the top 20% are hoping we can get a 65k/yr job if we're lucky. This is not a good school. It's actually amazing how horrifyingly bad it is. Even the atmosphere is just pure shit.

I wasn't going to bring this up (I don't want to kick a man while he's down), but looking back at this thread from last year and your general behavior on TLS overall, you really were such a douche back then that I have to.

Your current tone is quite a 180 from how adamant you were that TLS was all wrong about you taking GW over Fordham for NYC biglaw. You were warned by the entire TLS community that you were making a huge mistake, you were told that basing your decision on USNWR rankings rather than NLJ 250 placement was completely asinine. You knew this. You can't come in here and bitch about your school when you had fair warning.

Your blind adherence to the USNWR rankings came back and bit you in the ass hard. I'm sorry that happened, but I hope your story serves as a cautionary tale to other prospectives. Good thing your family is so rich that you won't have any problems, right?

180 investigative skills.

+1

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:46 pm

GermX wrote:Their LRW program? Two words: SPOON FEEDING. Last year, I was literally spoon fed all the major cases, everything, and hilariously they said "you need to spend weeks on research!!!" It took me 5 minutes to Shepardize all the cases you gave me and come up with some new ones to make it look like I did work.

I'd rather spend less time on LRW if at all possible, but that's just me.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 pm

at the DC law school softball tourney last saturday - at least 10 out of 14 3Ls on my GW team were going to vault firms and only maybe 1 or 2 of us are top 15% / on LR.

different people have different experiences and OPs experience sucks but could happen at any T20 school including fordham, even a lower T14.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm

GermX is either most epic year+ flame or got totally pwnd due to entitled and spoilt attitude that came across in OCI interviews. Probably looked down on your interviewers' attire, didn't you?

If you are a real person and struck out top 20% at GW even though you could've gone to fordham, all I have to say is -- karma is a B.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

c3pO4 wrote:GermX is either most epic year+ flame or got totally pwnd due to entitled and spoilt attitude that came across in OCI interviews. Probably looked down on your interviewers' attire, didn't you?

If you are a real person and struck out top 20% at GW even though you could've gone to fordham, all I have to say is -- karma is a B.

It's funny how people can't fake an average personality for an interview...

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

dood wrote:at the DC law school softball tourney last saturday - at least 10 out of 14 3Ls on my GW team were going to vault firms and only maybe 1 or 2 of us are top 15% / on LR.

different people have different experiences and OPs experience sucks but could happen at any T20 school including fordham, even a lower T14.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:17 pm

dood wrote:at the DC law school softball tourney last saturday - at least 10 out of 14 3Ls on my GW team were going to vault firms and only maybe 1 or 2 of us are top 15% / on LR.

Are you suggesting that 70% of GW's class gets BIGLAW? Also that must have been an interesting discussion you had on class rank. Odd though because typically its terribly difficult to get current law students to be chatty about class rank.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:

Dood's experience may not be the norm, but just to put more anecdotal evidence out there: I'm a GW 2L with friends that range from being in the bottom half of our class to people on law review, and many of us have jobs for summer. Do the below median folks have BigLaw jobs, no, but they have jobs nonetheless. So take from that what you will.

As to GermX...some of the stuff he says is true. The economy is crappy, DC is a tough market, and every other highly-ranked school in the country sends people here. Not every single professor is fabulous. Let's not lie, LRW here pretty much bites. (Who grades sections of 11 or 12 people on a curve? Seriously?)

But to paint a more accurate picture: the vast majority of our professors are awesome; there are students getting BigLaw and BigFed jobs, as well as local government and small/midlaw gigs (though I'm not sure I buy GW's self-provided numbers on how many); and LRW is only worth 2 units each semester, and is curved higher than any other class. So it's not perfect, but it's not awful either.

And, as has been pointed out, everything that has been talked about in this thread is stuff that was talked about before GermX (or I) made our decisions to go here; so it's hard to complain that we've been misled.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:

Dood's experience may not be the norm, but just to put more anecdotal evidence out there: I'm a GW 2L with friends that range from being in the bottom half of our class to people on law review, and many of us have jobs for summer. Do the below median folks have BigLaw jobs, no, but they have jobs nonetheless. So take from that what you will.

As to GermX...some of the stuff he says is true. The economy is crappy, DC is a tough market, and every other highly-ranked school in the country sends people here. Not every single professor is fabulous. Let's not lie, LRW here pretty much bites. (Who grades sections of 11 or 12 people on a curve? Seriously?)

But to paint a more accurate picture: the vast majority of our professors are awesome; there are students getting BigLaw and BigFed jobs, as well as local government and small/midlaw gigs (though I'm not sure I buy GW's self-provided numbers on how many); and LRW is only worth 2 units each semester, and is curved higher than any other class. So it's not perfect, but it's not awful either.

And, as has been pointed out, everything that has been talked about in this thread is stuff that was talked about before GermX (or I) made our decisions to go here; so it's hard to complain that we've been misled.

Define summer job: do they have employment that is (a) paid and (b) likely to lead to a job after graduation? Or does "job" mean internship to you?

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Veyron wrote:
Define summer job: do they have employment that is (a) paid and (b) likely to lead to a job after graduation? Or does "job" mean internship to you?

The non-BigLaw folks have employment that is paid. I honestly don't know how likely permanent employment following graduation is where they'll be at.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 pm

MrAnon wrote:

Are you suggesting that 70% of GW's class gets BIGLAW?

This is the kind of inference only a lobotomized monkey would make.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Veyron wrote:

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Here's my anecdote.

I'm a 2L, and seriously I know FOUR people with summer work lined up. 3 biglaw, 1 in one of those super-rare paid government positions.

I know a helluva lot more than four people at this school, the vast majority of whom are at least above median.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Veyron wrote:Define summer job: do they have employment that is (a) paid and (b) likely to lead to a job after graduation? Or does "job" mean internship to you?

My thoughts as well. I would be very surprised to hear that more than a very small handful of sub-median people at a T20 have a job that satisfies both (a) and (b). Not saying they won't get one down the road since a lot of small and mid-sized firms, local government positions, PI jobs, etc. are on a later timetable, but the majority of hiring so far has been paid SA work for decent-sized firms. If a bunch of sub-median people at GWU are getting respectable, paid SA work, then they must be placing like a T14.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Veyron wrote:Define summer job: do they have employment that is (a) paid and (b) likely to lead to a job after graduation? Or does "job" mean internship to you?

My thoughts as well. I would be very surprised to hear that more than a very small handful of sub-median people at a T20 have a job that satisfies both (a) and (b). Not saying they won't get one down the road since a lot of small and mid-sized firms, local government positions, PI jobs, etc. are on a later timetable, but the majority of hiring so far has been paid SA work for decent-sized firms. If a bunch of sub-median people at GWU are getting respectable, paid SA work, then they must be placing like a T14.

Like a T6.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Like a T6.

Bunch of sub-median people at Penn have SAs this year. T6 distinction is worthless.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I highly doubt that the few sub-median employed people I know are in any way representative. I was just pointing out that GermX's view that employment is impossible just isn't right.

Like I said, the economy sucks and DC is a tough market. Getting jobs isn't easy, and plenty of folks don't have them. Bug getting jobs is, at least, possible.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Like a T6.

Scooped.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Veyron wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Like a T6.

Bunch of sub-median people at Penn have SAs this year. T6 distinction is worthless.

Like a T7

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Like a T6.

Offer letters rainin' down, like a blizzard
When we did our OCI, it delivered
V10 impressive, please, we're talking V6
Now I'm feeling so fly, like a T6

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Like a T6.

Even vanwinkle can be witty at times, who'da thunk it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Like a T6.

*tips cap*

dood

Postby dood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am

MrAnon wrote:

no, not at all. im suggesting there's a large student body and each person's experience with GW, the CDO, prof, etc are going to be different. my experience at gw = the extreme opposite of the OP's experience.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 am

dood wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

no, not at all. im suggesting there's a large student body and each person's experience with GW, the CDO, prof, etc are going to be different. my experience at gw = the extreme opposite of the OP's experience.

You have IP tho

Return to “Choosing a Law School”