From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:17 pm

HyeMart wrote:OP's posts are simply not true. :roll:
you mad bro? why don't you compare some hard numbers?
no school below 20 does better than GW in terms of job placement.
OP struck out of OCI and is crying
classic symptom bro, your projecting blame after failure.

You should provide some hard numbers. Where does that "no school below 20 does better" thing come from?

Also, aren't you a first semester 1L?

HyeMart wrote:I know the torts prof your talking about is Turley, one of the most cited professor in the country.

What does that have to do with the guy's teaching ability?

Yep, gotta be a 1L.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 pm

anewaphorist wrote:But would people like me consider ourselves failures, would we drown in debt only to end up alone and friendless by taking a secondary legal market position or T25 academia?

FYI those positions tend to go to top people from top schools who publish top quality shit.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
GermX wrote:They have a torts professor who spends the entire semester without once explaining what a tort is, and then suddenly in the last 2 classes he releases "videos" explaining intentional torts (which he never did all semester, I mean literally never even talked about it) which incidentally make up 90% of his exam. What does he actually talk about the whole time? Stories of his back in Chicago. A whole lot of products liability, which is 5% of his exam. And when I say products liability, don't mistake it for a discussion on the rules and how to apply them. It's actually more of a "did you guys hear what Ford did? OMG!" discussion.

Dude, this shit happens everywhere. Law professors are not hired on their teaching ability. Here at HLS, when a couple students learned I was a transfer, their first reaction was to ask, "Are the professors better where you were?" It's a crapshoot everywhere. Law schools have a whole bunch of profs who happen to be really good at teaching and enjoy it, and also a whole bunch who hate it or suck at it or who don't even have the basic people skills necessary to interact with their students. I got lucky with most of my 1L profs, but my Torts experience wasn't that much better than yours.

+1 with a similar experience (not HLS, though).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:34 pm

GermX wrote:I know this thread has sidetracked into a "non-t14 =fail" thread. But I just want to say that there's A LOT of schools outside the t-14 which are pretty great. Fordham is definitely one of them. And GW simply put is not. It's a shitty, crappy school, and most of us now in the top 20% are hoping we can get a 65k/yr job if we're lucky. This is not a good school. It's actually amazing how horrifyingly bad it is. Even the atmosphere is just pure shit.

I wasn't going to bring this up (I don't want to kick a man while he's down), but looking back at this thread from last year and your general behavior on TLS overall, you really were such a douche back then that I have to.

Your current tone is quite a 180 from how adamant you were that TLS was all wrong about you taking GW over Fordham for NYC biglaw. You were warned by the entire TLS community that you were making a huge mistake, you were told that basing your decision on USNWR rankings rather than NLJ 250 placement was completely asinine. You knew this. You can't come in here and bitch about your school when you had fair warning.

Your blind adherence to the USNWR rankings came back and bit you in the ass hard. I'm sorry that happened, but I hope your story serves as a cautionary tale to other prospectives. Good thing your family is so rich that you won't have any problems, right?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:42 pm

yikes

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:44 pm

GermX, u mad because you won't be as successful as your daddy?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Grizz wrote:GermX, u mad because you won't be as successful as your daddy?

I actually laughed.... in the middle of a lecture on letters of credit.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Law school is a scam which will leave you jobless along with life-crushing debt. Don't go.

ggibelli

Postby ggibelli » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:00 pm

roflcopter

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GermX wrote:I know this thread has sidetracked into a "non-t14 =fail" thread. But I just want to say that there's A LOT of schools outside the t-14 which are pretty great. Fordham is definitely one of them. And GW simply put is not. It's a shitty, crappy school, and most of us now in the top 20% are hoping we can get a 65k/yr job if we're lucky. This is not a good school. It's actually amazing how horrifyingly bad it is. Even the atmosphere is just pure shit.

I wasn't going to bring this up (I don't want to kick a man while he's down), but looking back at this thread from last year and your general behavior on TLS overall, you really were such a douche back then that I have to.

Your current tone is quite a 180 from how adamant you were that TLS was all wrong about you taking GW over Fordham for NYC biglaw. You were warned by the entire TLS community that you were making a huge mistake, you were told that basing your decision on USNWR rankings rather than NLJ 250 placement was completely asinine. You knew this. You can't come in here and bitch about your school when you had fair warning.

Your blind adherence to the USNWR rankings came back and bit you in the ass hard. I'm sorry that happened, but I hope your story serves as a cautionary tale to other prospectives. Good thing your family is so rich that you won't have any problems, right?

Bravo

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:

180 investigative skills. Sympathy revoked.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1 Lol, dude quit law school and go back to flying around the world on your trust fund :roll:

msuz

Postby msuz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 pm

I was going to say something about giving him a break about things he posted a year ago... then I actually read it... I did not even know there were real people like that. Seriously, what kind of person brags about how rich they are online?

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Romo thank you for pointing out that previous thread:
romothesavior wrote:I wasn't going to bring this up (I don't want to kick a man while he's down), but looking back at this thread from last year and your general behavior on TLS overall, you really were such a douche back then that I have to.

Not gonna lie. Because of statements like this, touting houses in:
London, Paris, Madrid, Riyadh, Dubai, Lebanon, Amman, Cairo, the Philippines

I totally want to find out who you are in our school and put a face to the dbag. ha ha.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Not a good look.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 pm

monkey85 wrote:Romo thank you for pointing out that previous thread:
romothesavior wrote:I wasn't going to bring this up (I don't want to kick a man while he's down), but looking back at this thread from last year and your general behavior on TLS overall, you really were such a douche back then that I have to.

Not gonna lie. Because of statements like this, touting houses in:
London, Paris, Madrid, Riyadh, Dubai, Lebanon, Amman, Cairo, the Philippines

I would eerily respect, well maybe not respect but definitely not look down on him as much, if he were lying. I mean, who has a house in Dubai? A house?

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:29 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I mean, who has a house in Dubai? A house?

I would prefer the palm tree island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Islands)

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Damn, dude's family got a crib in 10 different countries?

Sounds like he's set up for BIGINTERNATIONALLAW.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 pm

monkey85 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:I mean, who has a house in Dubai? A house?

I would prefer the palm tree island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Islands)

Actually he meant to say he has several islands there too. And several small countries. But hes not the richest person he knows. Strictly middle class.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

While we don't own our own private jet, we do fly first-class on the world's best airlines, and we fly whenever, wherever we want.
The dude doesn't even have a private jet. Flying commercial is like riding the bus in the sky.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 pm

GermX wrote:^ Who said I'm not doing anything or doing part time jobs etc...? I'm so worried I even took a job working for a judge during the winter break instead of going back home.

I know this thread has sidetracked into a "non-t14 =fail" thread. But I just want to say that there's A LOT of schools outside the t-14 which are pretty great. Fordham is definitely one of them. And GW simply put is not. It's a shitty, crappy school, and most of us now in the top 20% are hoping we can get a 65k/yr job if we're lucky. This is not a good school. It's actually amazing how horrifyingly bad it is. Even the atmosphere is just pure shit.

It's not just jobs prospects. Most of their professors are terrible. Here are some examples:

They have a torts professor who spends the entire semester without once explaining what a tort is, and then suddenly in the last 2 classes he releases "videos" explaining intentional torts (which he never did all semester, I mean literally never even talked about it) which incidentally make up 90% of his exam. What does he actually talk about the whole time? Stories of his back in Chicago. A whole lot of products liability, which is 5% of his exam. And when I say products liability, don't mistake it for a discussion on the rules and how to apply them. It's actually more of a "did you guys hear what Ford did? OMG!" discussion.

They have a constitutional law professor who is literally 85 years old. He is so fucking old that he can't even tell when people are in and out of his class. On his exam, he writes a giant hypothetical then asks "what is standing?" and that's it. That's how hilarious his class is. The people who got As in his class figured out where he likes his answers from (he wrote a supplement that's an exact copy of his course).

Their LRW program? Two words: SPOON FEEDING. Last year, I was literally spoon fed all the major cases, everything, and hilariously they said "you need to spend weeks on research!!!" It took me 5 minutes to Shepardize all the cases you gave me and come up with some new ones to make it look like I did work.

They need to stop bringing in people from Harvard who look down at GW students and find some professors who actually care. I'm seriously not kidding, every single professor has made a "joke" about how we will all be jobless and in debt crying, and everyone laughs, nobody realizes how serious these guys are actually being. It's like someone coming up to you and jokingly saying "your mom is going to die tomorrow" and you crack out loud laughing, even though he's totally right.

Maybe you got unlucky on the draw? All my profs are damn good, except one is boring is all.

For LRW, we went over about 6 cases, only three of which were actually important.

Another thing I'm unsure about; are you saying that you can't find a job at all, or that you can't find a biglaw job? If you have a shit ton of debt and can't find that biglaw job, I can appreciate you're being pissed, but I don't think I ever heard that biglaw is guaranteed at GW unless you're on LR and are at least decent at interviews. But if you can't find a decent legal job at all, then that's really crazy.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:02 pm

freestallion wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1 Lol, dude quit law school and go back to flying around the world on your trust fund :roll:

Now I get why germ is bad-mouthing his/her own school: spoilt.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Even if this guy is only one tenth as affluent as he claims to be, his family is probably connected to some prestigious law firms. The question is, with such an entitled attitude, will he be able to pull his weight after getting his foot in the door?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Damn germx you had a 3.4 and 169?
you must be kicking yourself for not reapplying or going to a better school...........

IMO i don't think there is a huge difference in level of competition between schools like GULC and GW. However, there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in job prospects.

It seems like all the schools between T3 and T1 have a good balance between difficulty and job prospects. Schools like Fordhamd, WUSTL, UIUC, Emory have it the hardest. The strength of the class is relatively high, yet the job prospects aren't on the same level. Once you get to Vanderbilt/Ucla GULC, it becomes more balanced.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

LOL nice find, that is PURE GOLD!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”