From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kaiser

Re: From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ahduth wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:Out of curiosity, since BU/BC got brought into the conversation, exactly how insular is the Boston market?

Very.

Ya, Boston sounds worse than Chicago. You just... don't want to pay for lower tier schools. I'm not entirely clear GW is on that level, but I'm going to attempt to slap an NYU GPA against Sidley and other Chicago firms. Do you really want to compete with that from Loyola or DePaul?

Do you ever make sense?

You beat me to it

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:Out of curiosity, since BU/BC got brought into the conversation, exactly how insular is the Boston market?

Very.

Ya, Boston sounds worse than Chicago. You just... don't want to pay for lower tier schools. I'm not entirely clear GW is on that level, but I'm going to attempt to slap an NYU GPA against Sidley and other Chicago firms. Do you really want to compete with that from Loyola or DePaul?

lol

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 pm

NYC Law wrote:

Very.

Know at least one person who got a Boston offer with no ties. Great grades + T14 can help.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 pm

kaiser wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Do you ever make sense?

You beat me to it

No. Why bother?

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 am

GermX wrote:. It's IP program, called one of the nation's strongest, consists of a few classes and a journal that you can get on just by applying to it (they accept like 80 people, I wish I was exaggerating, most of whom have below 3.2 GPAs).

Check the top law firms for IP in Washington DC they have quite a few GW people. They seem to only take Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and GW.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:19 am

msuz wrote:Seriously, what kind of person brags about how rich they are online?

1) People with a lot of money, who want to feel important about it?
2) People with no money who want others to think they have a lot of money?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 am

MormonChristian wrote:
GermX wrote:. It's IP program, called one of the nation's strongest, consists of a few classes and a journal that you can get on just by applying to it (they accept like 80 people, I wish I was exaggerating, most of whom have below 3.2 GPAs).

Check the top law firms for IP in Washington DC they have quite a few GW people. They seem to only take Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and GW.

Which firms are those? Just curious.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 am

Blindmelon wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

http://www.averyindex.com/top_patent_firms.php to start with.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:43 am

MormonChristian wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

http://www.averyindex.com/top_patent_firms.php to start with.

Damnit you trolled me bad... should've known with the username. And lol at Finnegan or Fish & Richardson recruiting only at HYC and GW.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

Which firms are those? Just curious.[/quote]

http://www.averyindex.com/top_patent_firms.php to start with.[/quote]

Damnit you trolled me bad... should've known with the username. And lol at Finnegan or Fish & Richardson recruiting only at HYC and GW.[/quote]

I think you didn't do your due diligence.

No trolling involved, unless it is from you.

I doubt you were curious by the bigotry in your response.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm

MormonChristian wrote:I think you didn't do your due diligence.

No trolling involved, unless it is from you.

I doubt you were curious by the bigotry in your response.

facepalm

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Damnit you trolled me bad... should've known with the username. And lol at Finnegan or Fish & Richardson recruiting only at HYC and GW.

Funny thing - I have a friend who is a hiring partner at one of these firms and his SA class this year has one kid from H, one from Y, one from C, and one from GW. :lol:

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Dammit I wish I was IP secure.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:56 am

Also, for your six-figure debt, GW extends you the privilege of taking your final exams in a room that, only 48 hours before, was flooded with toilet water and reeks like mildew and bad dairy. Thanks, GW.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm

MormonChristian wrote:

This is an incorrect overgeneralization. The "boutiques" (e.g. Fish and Finnegan) do some recruiting from GW but my sense is that it is representing a smaller percentage than it used to. Furthermore, this list omits GULC, which has historically placed a significant number of attorneys in these firms.

Regarding the GP firms on that list that do patent litigation, my sense is that they hire a smaller percentage of GW and GULC grads than the boutiques relative to other schools.

Finally, Yale does not warrant mention on this list.

Employers are certainly not hiring only from these schools, and the list you provided doesn't substantiate your claim as to schools from which the "top firms" hire.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Just here to see if OP ever comes back.

Vyvyan

Postby Vyvyan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:21 pm

My one and only experience with GW.

At big law school day fair, lots of schools in attendance, many sent students to represent their program. Get excited to see GW, a good school, sent someone who seemed to be actually in their admissions department.

Eager-eyed I walk over, introduce myself, and ask something akin to: "The legal industry is changing, what would GW do to prepare me for a job in the new legal landscape?"

Her response: "First off, there are over 8,000 applicants to my school every year, why should we let you into our university?"

Frankly I was stunned, but I suppose maybe I did come over as a little cocky and conceited, but then again, the law fair was to give prospective students information. I tried to backtrack with a joke about not having my resume on me at the moment and went on to say: "what i mean is... There are a lot of people saying I shouldn't go to law school because there aren't enough legal jobs and I was wondering how GW stands out in preparing its students to find gainful employment?"

Response: "Who says don't go law school?"

Me: "...A lot of people in law school actually..."

Response: "Well if they don't like it they can leave. Like I said, there are over 8,000 applicants to GW every year, plenty of people would like their spots."

Me: "Well that's kinda my point... they say to many people want to be lawyers and there aren't enough legal jobs."

Response: "I've never heard that."

At this point I grabbed some literature and scurried away. I have not applied to GW.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm

tl;dr version, GW, along with almost all T1 schools ite is a fucking TTT for biglaw.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:28 pm

law4vus wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Damnit you trolled me bad... should've known with the username. And lol at Finnegan or Fish & Richardson recruiting only at HYC and GW.

Funny thing - I have a friend who is a hiring partner at one of these firms and his SA class this year has one kid from H, one from Y, one from C, and one from GW. :lol:

can i ask which firm?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Vyvyan wrote:tldnr version: Someone from the admission dept at GW, who I'd never talk to if I became a student there, was rude and didn't answer my question about there not being enough openings in the legal market for all the students who were graduating. Therefore, I did not aplpy to GW.

I'm sure there's not going to be anyone like that at the school you decide to attend... :roll:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Vyvyan wrote:My one and only experience with GW.

At big law school day fair, lots of schools in attendance, many sent students to represent their program. Get excited to see GW, a good school, sent someone who seemed to be actually in their admissions department.

Eager-eyed I walk over, introduce myself, and ask something akin to: "The legal industry is changing, what would GW do to prepare me for a job in the new legal landscape?"

Her response: "First off, there are over 8,000 applicants to my school every year, why should we let you into our university?"

Frankly I was stunned, but I suppose maybe I did come over as a little cocky and conceited, but then again, the law fair was to give prospective students information. I tried to backtrack with a joke about not having my resume on me at the moment and went on to say: "what i mean is... There are a lot of people saying I shouldn't go to law school because there aren't enough legal jobs and I was wondering how GW stands out in preparing its students to find gainful employment?"

Response: "Well if they don't like it they can leave. Like I said, there are over 8,000 applicants to GW every year, plenty of people would like their spots."

Me: "Well that's kinda my point... they say to many people want to be lawyers and there aren't enough legal jobs."

At this point I grabbed some literature and scurried away. I have not applied to GW.

He's right. They're gonna get paid anyway.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Wow.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Was this a lady in her mid-50s? I had the EXACT same experience with a GWU rep at a law school forum.

She's the person I alluded to in my post on the previous page of this thread.
JDizzle2015 wrote:Anyone else talk to a lady from GWU's admissions office at the law school forums who seemed like a typical distanced bureaucrat who didn't know anything about GWU (as in she had no information that wasn't in their viewbook and didn't know anything about law school in general)?

She's the sole reason why I didn't apply to this school (fyi in case any GWU admissions members happen to wonder into this thread: I was at the Los Angeles Sept 2011 forum) and after reading this thread, I'm very happy with my decision.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

I'm not surprised. I seriously urge anyone reading this thread that is considering GW to run away. It's just really not worth going to this school ITE. The large class, the huge market combined with competition from GULC and the rest of the T14 just make it a poor decision. It's a decision I wish I didn't make and I hope others don't make the same one.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:24 am

law4vus wrote:I'm not surprised. I seriously urge anyone reading this thread that is considering GW to run away. It's just really not worth going to this school ITE. The large class, the huge market combined with competition from GULC and the rest of the T14 just make it a poor decision. It's a decision I wish I didn't make and I hope others don't make the same one.

law4vus has a point. i did okay here, but i would encourage people to think twice (thrice, however many time for them to really be sure law school is the right thing for them). and as a few previous posts have also shown, most (except for J. Goffe) of the CDO is completely worthless - any 1L summer, 2L extern, or 2L SA success I have had is NOT because of them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”