From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KamaalTheAbstract

Re: From a current GW student- do not go to this school.

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 am

BU/BC does place a lot into Boston. Honestly though most people don't want to be there and the people that apply usually have weak ties. This isn't from me, I asked a recruiter at a Holland & Knight/Foley Lardener/ Mintz and that's what I was told. I'm at GW. Above the median and I had 2cbs and an offer there. Also, I was a strong believer that no one placed in Fed anymore but it isn't true. I know plenty of people with jobs from interning with an agency. Not a summer internship but a fall/spring semester internship. From the beginning of 2L year to 3L year. If you can stay with them a long time they offer you jobs. I definitely believe that less than 25% will place into NLJ but there are other jobs that people get by just being able to hang around DC. All anecdotal, but the BC/BU crowd is getting a little too high off their 33% big law numbers.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 am

Blindmelon wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
thexfactor wrote:so i think the advice 0Ls can get out of this thread is... go to BU or BC instead of GW, they have almost 2x placement for nlj250 firms.

I really regret not going to bu or bc......

This isn't accurate. This is just Boston trolling or BU/BC trolling. The job situation up there is similar to DCs...bad. Boston is a very popular town for grads to flock to, there are plenty of law schools in the area, and BU and BC are like having two GWs in the same town. Don't have buyers remorse because you chose one T25 over another T25. Have it because you didn't work harder in undergrad.

This is asinine. Look at the summer classes of DC firms - Gtwon, T14s, random assortment of top of the class at other regional schools across the country. Look at Boston firm summer classes - half BC/BU almost everywhere. The Boston schools have a much stronger hold on the local firms than GW does in DC.

And GW has a much stronger hold on Federal Government jobs than BC or BU could ever dream of. Or maybe all Harvard grads flock to DC and leave open spaces in Boston firms. Really this is arguing whose shit stinks less. Sorry to burst your bubble but none of these schools (with exception of Harvard) is anything special.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:46 am

MrAnon wrote:And GW has a much stronger hold on Federal Government jobs than BC or BU could ever dream of. Or maybe all Harvard grads flock to DC and leave open spaces in Boston firms. Really this is arguing whose shit stinks less. Sorry to burst your bubble but none of these schools (with exception of Harvard) is anything special.

That's pretty much exactly what happens.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:43 pm

thexfactor wrote:so i think the advice 0Ls can get out of this thread is... go to BU or BC instead of GW, they have almost 2x placement for nlj250 firms.

Caveat: unless you're an IP dooder.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:48 pm

BU's only competition for good Boston jobs is BC, which is a peer school, and the Harvard stragglers that stay in Boston. That is it. Compare that to DC, where you have Georgetown flooding the market, UVA not too far away, etc. The layers above on the hierarchy and simply more cumbersome at GW. And that is to say nothing of the health of the market itself. I don't think there is any problem in saying that BU/BC are certainly safer bets (relatively speaking) than GW, or any other T30 for that matter, right now.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:01 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

This isn't accurate. This is just Boston trolling or BU/BC trolling. The job situation up there is similar to DCs...bad. Boston is a very popular town for grads to flock to, there are plenty of law schools in the area, and BU and BC are like having two GWs in the same town. Don't have buyers remorse because you chose one T25 over another T25. Have it because you didn't work harder in undergrad.

This is asinine. Look at the summer classes of DC firms - Gtwon, T14s, random assortment of top of the class at other regional schools across the country. Look at Boston firm summer classes - half BC/BU almost everywhere. The Boston schools have a much stronger hold on the local firms than GW does in DC.

And GW has a much stronger hold on Federal Government jobs than BC or BU could ever dream of. Or maybe all Harvard grads flock to DC and leave open spaces in Boston firms. Really this is arguing whose shit stinks less. Sorry to burst your bubble but none of these schools (with exception of Harvard) is anything special.

I totally agree that BU/BC/GW are nothing special... but H people tend to flock to DC, as well as Yale, Stanford, Columbia, etc. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a few Yalies in any Boston firm summer class or really any Stanford people.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:04 pm

MrAnon wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/unemployed-boston-college-law-student-tuition-back/story?id=11937494#.TtpVfPLX_XU

Oh wow! One person wrote a letter? OKAY, you're right. I usually judge a school by what 1 or 2 people do. Thats why I always think that NYLS gets too much crap on these boards. I mean, heres a person who works at Cleary! CASE CLOSED, NYLS rocks. http://www.cgsh.com/abepko/.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
MrAnon wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/unemployed-boston-college-law-student-tuition-back/story?id=11937494#.TtpVfPLX_XU

Oh wow! One person wrote a letter? OKAY, you're right. I usually judge a school by what 1 or 2 people do. Thats why I always think that NYLS gets too much crap on these boards. I mean, heres a person who works at Cleary! CASE CLOSED, NYLS rocks. http://www.cgsh.com/abepko/.

Its as good as any guess of yours as to how the biglaw demographics breakdown from various schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Blindmelon, you're arguing with someone who completely ignores facts and statistics, makes huge blanket assertions, and generally is a douchetruck.

You may be right about the BU/BC vs. GW thing, but you're wasting keystrokes.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Don't like 40% of H grads end up in the pacific? Only 10-20% usually stick around in Boston.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:Blindmelon, you're arguing with someone who completely ignores facts and statistics, makes huge blanket assertions, and generally is a douchetruck.

Facts and statistics brought to you by the law school cartel.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 pm

MrAnon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Blindmelon, you're arguing with someone who completely ignores facts and statistics, makes huge blanket assertions, and generally is a douchetruck.

You're a god damn retard.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm

NYC Law wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

You're a god damn retard.

Because I don't buy into the cartel's research and statistics department?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:10 pm

MrAnon wrote:

lol

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Anyone else talk to a lady from GWU's admissions office at the law school forums who seemed like a typical distanced bureaucrat who didn't know anything about GWU (as in she had no information that wasn't in their viewbook and didn't know anything about law school in general)?

She's the sole reason why I didn't apply to this school (fyi in case any GWU admissions members happen to wonder into this thread: I was at the Los Angeles Sept 2011 forum) and after reading this thread, I'm very happy with my decision.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 pm

jjlee wrote:
law4vus wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
Your schtick is old, dude. You troll the what are my chances forum and tell people it's a good idea to go to Whittier or NCCU when clearly, the evidence suggests otherwise. Just stop. Go to a shitty school at sticker if you want, but no one else should join you.

hey brah i am just trying to be objective here, the diss on some of the schools r so unjustified, specially a school as prestigious as GW

I GO to GW and I think it's not that great of a school and I regret going here. I think the OP was a little extreme, but the sentiment is correct that the school isn't nearly as good as its ranking.

Though you haven't been to American do you get the feeling GW may not be much better than American? If you could do the process all over what would you do differently?

I'm seriously considering GW and so this means alot to hear from a current student!

GW is still definitely better than American. The only things I'd really take from American over GW would be a nicer campus/area and smaller class sizes.

In the end, money wasn't as big a concern for me so all things equal, I would have gone to GW anyway. That being said, if American somehow breaks its M.O. and provides significant scholarship money, you'd definitely have to consider it.

jjlee

Postby jjlee » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:48 pm

law4vus wrote:
jjlee wrote:
law4vus wrote:Though you haven't been to American do you get the feeling GW may not be much better than American? If you could do the process all over what would you do differently?

I'm seriously considering GW and so this means alot to hear from a current student!

GW is still definitely better than American. The only things I'd really take from American over GW would be a nicer campus/area and smaller class sizes.

In the end, money wasn't as big a concern for me so all things equal, I would have gone to GW anyway. That being said, if American somehow breaks its M.O. and provides significant scholarship money, you'd definitely have to consider it.

Thanks, I heard GW's campus is beautiful, i never thought American was nicer. Maybe you meant location? but Good to know.

Yes, with scholarship money i would definitely consider American more now.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up man. I'm out.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:06 pm

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 am

Out of curiosity, since BU/BC got brought into the conversation, exactly how insular is the Boston market?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:49 am

cynthia rose wrote:Out of curiosity, since BU/BC got brought into the conversation, exactly how insular is the Boston market?

Very.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 am

jjlee wrote:The only things I'd really take from American over GW would be a nicer campus/area and smaller class sizes.

AU's campus is way the fck out in the 'burbs and incredibly inconvenient if you don't own a car or live right on the campus. Sure, it's quieter, but I'll take the rumble of the occasional motorcade over having to drive to campus and/or taking a 20 minute train ride to/from the city.

Also, there are less than 200 more students at GW than AU, so I doubt class sizes are that much smaller.

Things to dislike about GW: (1) the grade scale has an A+ and (2) the curve is almost a 3.4.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:Out of curiosity, since BU/BC got brought into the conversation, exactly how insular is the Boston market?

Very.

Ya, Boston sounds worse than Chicago. You just... don't want to pay for lower tier schools. I'm not entirely clear GW is on that level, but I'm going to attempt to slap an NYU GPA against Sidley and other Chicago firms. Do you really want to compete with that from Loyola or DePaul?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:45 pm

ahduth wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Very.

Ya, Boston sounds worse than Chicago. You just... don't want to pay for lower tier schools. I'm not entirely clear GW is on that level, but I'm going to attempt to slap an NYU GPA against Sidley and other Chicago firms. Do you really want to compete with that from Loyola or DePaul?

Do you ever make sense?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”