Georgetown or UVA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jediknight2424

Georgetown or UVA?

Postby jediknight2424 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:08 pm

If no scholarship at either school, is one clearly better than the other?

Tim0thy222

Re: Georgetown or UVA?

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Everything I've read on this site suggests that UVA significantly outplaces Georgetown everywhere, even in DC.

Also, Law School Transparency and the NLJ 250 placement statistics suggest that UVA outplaces Georgetown for biglaw and clerkships.

So if you can get into UVA, I don't see what the advantage to Georgetown would be.

Curious about this as well though, since my knowledge is limited.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:12 pm

UVA obviously. Beats Georgetown at everything that matters.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:05 pm

johansantana21 wrote:UVA obviously. Beats Georgetown at everything that matters.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:13 pm

top30man wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:UVA obviously. Beats Georgetown at everything that matters.

Notably, softball.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:37 pm

I agree that I'd chose UVA over Gtown. Unless you're a city person- I imagine Cville is a lot different from DC. Gtown also might give you more chances to network or do externships during the school year.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:38 pm

UVA

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 pm

UVA. GULC is a TTT diploma mill in decline. hth

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:16 am

Both great schools, obviously. Ranking-wise, UVA is ahead, but Georgetown is very well respected in the DC area and if you want to do something with international law or foreign policy, I would go for Georgetown. However, this is from someone that doesn't know a lot about UVA, but knows several Georgetown graduates, a few of which are currently working overseas, and one for a think tank in DC. If this appeals to you, I'd say Georgetown (that's why it's one of my top choices). I also like the fact that Georgetown's law center is right in the middle of DC, just a few blocks away from Union Station. I don't know much about Charlottesville, but I really like the energy of DC.

Good luck either way though!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:20 am

hookem12 wrote:If you want to do something with international law or foreign policy, I would go for Georgetown.

LULZ

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 am

More on top international law schools: http://www.macquil.com/articles/topintlaw.php

Georgetown is #4, UVA is #10. Just in case you're interested - not that 6 spots really makes that much a difference

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 am

hookem12 wrote:More on top international law schools: http://www.macquil.com/articles/topintlaw.php

Georgetown is #4, UVA is #10. Just in case you're interested - not that 6 spots really makes that much a difference

More LULZ.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 am

hookem12 wrote:More on top international law schools: http://www.macquil.com/articles/topintlaw.php

International law is almost nonexistent and specialty rankings are worthless.

HTH.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:31 am

Grizz wrote:

HTH.

Agree with you on the specialty rankings, just found it interesting. My stepmother does a lot with international law, working in Saudi Arabia, and has friends working in England, France and Qatar. Most people don't do IL, but for those that are interested (and considering UVA and Georgetown), it's certainly a unique option.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 am

hookem12 wrote:
Grizz wrote:

HTH.

Agree with you on the specialty rankings, just found it interesting. My stepmother does a lot with international law, working in Saudi Arabia, and has friends working in England, France and Qatar. Most people don't do IL, but for those that are interested (and considering UVA and Georgetown), it's certainly a unique option.

Doing what?

Practicing American law abroad =/= international law, incidentally.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:36 am

I would pick GULC over UVA if I know FOR SURE wanted to do gov't, lobby or work on the Hill, because I would want to have access to externships during the schoolyear and be able to build relationships/my network of connections.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:45 am

Grizz wrote:
hookem12 wrote:
Grizz wrote:

HTH.

Doing what?

Practicing American law abroad =/= international law, incidentally.

I'm aware of that - and I know of some people doing that with American corporations abroad so I don't mean to imply that those are the same thing at all. My stepmother is the deputy general counsel at KAUST (King Abdullah's University of Science and Technology) - it's a graduate school in Saudi Arabia (unique in that it allows women to study there). The compound and university are both new but expanding rapidly and she has played a major role in creating the laws and regulations - which, in a place where people from many different parts of the world live, each having very different and sometimes strict social customs, can be a challenge.

The friend that I mentioned who works in France currently deals mainly with humanitarian issues and IL - it seems interesting (and rewarding). I wish that I had more insight into what the friend in Qatar does - I was able to meet him for lunch and still was a bit unsure of what his job entails - but he is a partner at Institution Quraysh for Law & Policy - they have offices in Doha, London, and another city in the gulf states (possibly Riyadh).

Didn't mean for this to be so lengthy, but I have sort of a different perspective on IL, just wanted to share.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:59 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:GULC is a TTT diploma mill in decline. hth

This is retarded. Both are T14

That said, id go UVA. Cost is lower, placement is solid, it's T10, the school is gorgeous, etc.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:35 pm

TMC116 wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:GULC is a TTT diploma mill in decline. hth

This is retarded. Both are T14

That said, id go UVA. Cost is lower, placement is solid, it's T10, the school is gorgeous, etc.

Gtown's gonna be at 14 for the foreseeable future like it has been for a while now. But it's true that it basically is a diploma mill considering that the DC market is pretty saturated and there are so many kids graduating from Gtown every year fighting for the same jobs with each other and kids from other top schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”