Media Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sellingout89

Media Law?

Postby sellingout89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Before I get to my question: I've been researching the law school application process, studying for the LSAT, etc.etc. the past few months and this forum has been an awesome resource. Thanks to the people who throw in serious comments (....and the trolls who make fun of the many that take themselves too seriously on here)

Now some things I couldn't find answers to anywhere, that I'm guessing others have asked: What about media law? Are there firms that specialize in working with newspapers, magazines, TV stations, etc.? (Lerman Senter is all I've found online, anyone know about them?) Are there any programs I should aim for to work in the field, like a JD/PhD in Journalism at Mizzou? I work as a reporter right now and I'm passionate about free speech, public access to and free flow of information, copyright/trademark rights of authors and news organizations, and so on. The ability to work around those topics day in and day out is what I'm hoping to get out of law school.

Advice, anyone?

Opie

Re: Media Law?

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:33 pm

I don't think the PhD. will help much because the issues a media lawyer faces are mostly legal and not journalistic. With that said, I don't know much about what schools would be best. I would imagine you should go to the highest ranked school that is near a media hub like NYC so that you have a good shot at meaningful summer work.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:46 pm

To learn more about firms that do this work, run some searches in Chambers: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ There's not a lot of this work, so it'll be very, very competitive. I don't think a PhD would help you to get the kind of job you want, but I think your work experience will. It just, unfortunately, won't be enough. You'll probably also need connections, good school, good grades, or all of the above.

sellingout89

Postby sellingout89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't think the PhD. will help much because the issues a media lawyer faces are mostly legal and not journalistic.

That makes sense. The big upside to a PhD in my mind is that it makes law school 100% free at Mizzou and a couple other places I've seen, though it does add 2-2.5 yrs beyond the law degree usually. And even if it doesn't help practically, it seems like it would help get a job at a good media firm and/or get into consulting or teaching down the road. Thoughts?

And does anyone know specific programs I should take a look at? Or firms with media lawyers where I can find someone to give more detailed advice?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm

sellingout89 wrote:
I don't think the PhD. will help much because the issues a media lawyer faces are mostly legal and not journalistic.

That makes sense. The big upside to a PhD in my mind is that it makes law school 100% free at Mizzou and a couple other places I've seen, though it does add 2-2.5 yrs beyond the law degree usually. And even if it doesn't help practically, it seems like it would help get a job at a good media firm and/or get into consulting or teaching down the road. Thoughts?

And does anyone know specific programs I should take a look at? Or firms with media lawyers where I can find someone to give more detailed advice?

A lot of firms actually don't like dual degrees. There are lots of threads inhere that support this.

Also, what are your numbers? Mizzou is probably not a good enough school to get you a job in this field.

sellingout89

Postby sellingout89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Opie wrote:A lot of firms actually don't like dual degrees. There are lots of threads inhere that support this.

Also, what are your numbers? Mizzou is probably not a good enough school to get you a job in this field.

That's interesting, any good threads you can point me to on that?

As for Mizzou, the interest is more because of the top-ranked journalism program and its great ties to DC and NYC media companies. Obviously I realize the law school is a long way from top tier. Iowa is another good journalism/law mix, if you're going by rankings. Northwestern would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath to get in, or out with less than $150k in debt.

As for my numbers (pending an LSAT retake in Feb/summer '12, this time with some prep) are...3.3 gpa, 166 on the LSAT, and by the time I apply I'll have ~3 years of strong work experience and obvious career progress. I've also had two highly competitive fellowships (12 selected each time, 1000+ applicants) and I have some other strong soft factors that won't hurt my chances (multiple languages, great writing ability, great letters). I've played around with LawSchoolPredictor, LawSchoolNumbers, etc., but any thoughts with schools I should shoot for with my #'s and goals in mind?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm

The journalism program won't get you a law job. Most firms won't even consider it. I'd probably shoot for the best school you can get in NY or Los Angeles.

sellingout89

Postby sellingout89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Opie wrote:The journalism program won't get you a law job. Most firms won't even consider it. I'd probably shoot for the best school you can get in NY or Los Angeles.

At least on the surface I don't understand why a firm with a media practice wouldn't want someone with a few years of experience as a journalist and an advanced degree in the field, or why it would hurt my chances. What's the reasoning? (please copy & paste from another post if this has already been beaten to death......)

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:13 am

LOL at opie's shitty advice

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:41 am

sellingout89 wrote:
Opie wrote:The journalism program won't get you a law job. Most firms won't even consider it. I'd probably shoot for the best school you can get in NY or Los Angeles.

At least on the surface I don't understand why a firm with a media practice wouldn't want someone with a few years of experience as a journalist and an advanced degree in the field, or why it would hurt my chances. What's the reasoning? (please copy & paste from another post if this has already been beaten to death......)

Because it can make you be perceived as a flight risk.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 am

WSJ_Law wrote:LOL at opie's shitty advice

Explain?

As for threads, I'm on my phone right now, so I will have to do that later.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”