ED UCLA, Retake, or Lower Ranked School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LesPaul2010

ED UCLA, Retake, or Lower Ranked School

Postby LesPaul2010 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:28 pm

I have no idea what to do and would appreciate help ASAP.

Non-URM, earned degree in 3 years

GPA: 4.0 from respectable Mid-West public university

LSAT 159- I have a history of poor standardized tests performances and can verify w/ ACT scores

I PT"d on the LSAT in the 165 ballpark. I know I choked on test day big time. UCLA is my top choice without question. Would I be better off:

Applying ED by Wed with LSAT addendum

Retaking in Dec (currently registered but haven't prepped a ton because of 20 hr semester)

Taking a year off (not preferred but willing to do if needed)

I'm also looking at Loyola, Miami, and Stetson's JD/Grado en Derecho Spanish law program.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

JamMasterJ

Re: ED UCLA, Retake, or Lower Ranked School

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 pm

retake

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:33 pm

I'd say retake when you are ready -- you definitely don't want to retake in december and get another 159. Like you said, if you don't mind sitting out another cycle, I think that's what you should do and prepare for the test when you don't have to take 20 hr semester lol

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Schang1 wrote:I'd say retake when you are ready -- you definitely don't want to retake in december and get another 159. Like you said, if you don't mind sitting out another cycle, I think that's what you should do and prepare for the test when you don't have to take 20 hr semester lol

oh yeah. this is what I meant. You should be looking at a June retake

LesPaul2010

Postby LesPaul2010 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. My parents are not happy at all with the prospects of a year off, but I think a year of WE plus a strong June LSAT (I have an easy spring semester) could go a long way. I'm capable of so much better on the LSAT. I will have earned my degree in 3 years, so it's not like I would be technically behind where I should have been anyway.

One more question: Would it be worth shooting UCLA an ED app anyway if I go the June retake route? LSN says I have an 18% chance, and I'm confident about my PS and LORs.

Thank you guys so much!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

LesPaul2010 wrote:I was thinking along the same lines. My parents are not happy at all with the prospects of a year off, but I think a year of WE plus a strong June LSAT (I have an easy spring semester) could go a long way. I'm capable of so much better on the LSAT. I will have earned my degree in 3 years, so it's not like I would be technically behind where I should have been anyway.

One more question: Would it be worth shooting UCLA an ED app anyway if I go the June retake route? LSN says I have an 18% chance, and I'm confident about my PS and LORs.

Thank you guys so much!

1. who gives a shit?

as far as EDing to UCLA right now, I would say no. A 165 will be solid for ED to UVA next year and a high 160s will be money at the lower T14.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:54 pm

You won't have any problems getting into Miami or Stetson if that is what you want. but don't sell yourself short! I would retake :D good luck

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 pm

I wouldn't ED. Even if you do get in, I wouldn't pay even in-state rates for UCLA.

LesPaul2010

Postby LesPaul2010 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:18 pm

I was leaning towards the retake and year off route, so you guys have made me feel a lot better :) I ultimately want to practice in Florida, Cali or abroad. I've been landlocked my whole life and want out of the Midwest so badly. I know that the key to LA biglaw would be T14 or UCLA.

If I decided I would want to practice in Florida (have some family there), what would be my best option? I haven't read about any of the T14 placing high #s of grads in Florida. I've heard Miami and Stetson both place solidly in their respected regions and would be in good shape for a decent scholly at Stetson and possibly Miami. I could stay w/ family in Miami for free COL. Western Europe suits my personality, and I wouldn't mind getting of Dodge with the way things are in the US, hence my interest in Stetson's JD/Grado program with la Universidad de Granada.

With the current shape of the market, part of me thinks it might be wiser to take money at a regional school. On the other hand, I don't want to look back in 15 years and wonder how things would have been different had I pushed myself towards a top tier school. Am I crazy for considering TT/TTT's?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:22 pm

LesPaul2010 wrote:I was leaning towards the retake and year off route, so you guys have made me feel a lot better :) I ultimately want to practice in Florida, Cali or abroad. I've been landlocked my whole life and want out of the Midwest so badly. I know that the key to LA biglaw would be T14 or UCLA.

If I decided I would want to practice in Florida (have some family there), what would be my best option? I haven't read about any of the T14 placing high #s of grads in Florida. I've heard Miami and Stetson both place solidly in their respected regions and would be in good shape for a decent scholly at Stetson and possibly Miami. I could stay w/ family in Miami for free COL. Western Europe suits my personality, and I wouldn't mind getting of Dodge with the way things are in the US, hence my interest in Stetson's JD/Grado program with la Universidad de Granada.

With the current shape of the market, part of me thinks it might be wiser to take money at a regional school. On the other hand, I don't want to look back in 15 years and wonder how things would have been different had I pushed myself towards a top tier school. Am I crazy for considering TT/TTT's?

1. Have you read the news? Things aren't much better in Europe right now (and its not just Italy and Greece). Spain is in really poor shape and unemployment is through the roof.

2. Don't underestimate the power of job potential. My honest opinion is retake and go to the highest school you can get into. Honestly with a 4.0 GPA if you can just get yourself to high 160's you prospects are going to be amazing. Just retake and skip the ED application.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 pm

I wouldn't go to Stetson or Miami with anything less than a full ride and probably not even then. FL has few jobs and is very insular. You have some family there, which is good, but you might be viewed with suspicion as an outsider. Stetson's Granada thing is pointless/worthless. You might be able to sneak into UF with those numbers though. 1 yr. nonresident tuition will suck though.

You're not crazy for considering TTs, but you are if they are located in FL.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm from Florida and I currently go to UF. UF Law has a 90% residency requirement....or close to it .. no joke. The class of 2014 was 85% Florida residents... so it will be very difficult for you to get into UF without Florida residency. I know friends with 168+ and high GPA's who were denied admission to UF solely b/c they were out of state. This is the thing with Miami, its not the best law school, but it is in Miami. Again I have had friends who barely got through UM law but got great jobs in Miami making a lot of money. So if you would like to practice in Miami, UM might not be a bad choice at all. However, UM has like 0 reach outside of Miami. I don't know much about Stetson so I can't really attest to that schools. Hope this helps a little.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm

OP: You have no idea what to do because you do not have any well defined options. Consider applying this cycle to several law schools to create options. Based on the lawschoolnumbers.com graphs, admission to UCLA with a 159 seems unlikely, but you won't know for sure until you apply. Nevertheless, many Tier One (Top 50) law schools should accept you with a 159/4.0 combination.

Consider applying to:

WashUStL
Indiana
Illinois
UC-Davis
Iowa
Wash & Lee
Alabama
Arizona
Arizona State (ASU)
Wake Forest
Utah
SMU
Baylor
among others.

If you don't like the results, then retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle. But I think that you may be surprised this cycle by your results.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 pm

There is simply no right answer here other than retake. You have an astronomical GPA. Bring your LSAT score up to around a 165 and you will have some much better options.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Grizz wrote:I wouldn't ED. Even if you do get in, I wouldn't pay even in-state rates for UCLA.

This. Retake.

Champion

Postby Champion » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by Champion on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesPaul2010

Postby LesPaul2010 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 am

You guys all raise a bunch of valid points. I definitely think retaking is the way to go. There are a lot of great T1s out there, but I'm pretty set on going coastal. Honestly, I just hate the Mid-west. After T14, I get the vibe it's all pretty much a regional factor where you go to school. My family in Miami has some really strong connections, so that would be worth considering if I could even raise my LSAT a little bit and get a substantial scholly. Southern California is my dream, but I need a dramatic improvement on my LSAT to make it worth going out there (USC/UCLA) with the COL/tuition.

I've got the Bibles on the way. I'm leaning towards the DEC retake. I don't see myself choking as badly as I did the first time on the LSAT, and a better score would definitely make it worth checking out my options this cycle. If I could even pull off my previous PT (165), I'd find myself in a completely different situation.

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!!!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:48 pm

get 3-5 more pts and ED to UVA.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:51 pm

The above is sound advice imo.

LesPaul2010

Postby LesPaul2010 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Everyone has given great advice so far. I just took my first PT since Oct. 1 (first time I've touched anything LSAT since then) and scored a 166. I've had the Bibles for 2 days and love them so far. I'm really confident I can bump up my pathetic first score and get into a school worth going to. Thanks a lot!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”