Cardozo with money, good place to go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rebeccac

Cardozo with money, good place to go?

Postby rebeccac » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 pm

I was informed by phone that I got admitted to Cardozo with 20,000 scholarship. The problem is: I got in Spring admission while I'm still waiting for my fall admission results (of schools ranking 20-40). Should I take the offer or should I wait? Any thoughts? Thanks!

ilovesf

Re: Cardozo with money, good place to go?

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 pm

we need more information. most people on this board dislike cardozo so i don't think you'll get many positive responses. i actually got into cardozo last cycle with 20,000 and i ultimately decided not to go, mainly because i didn't want to live in nyc after graduation.
what are your stats?
what are the scholarship stipulations?
do you want to stay in NYC after graduation?
where else did you apply?

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:23 pm

My numbers are 164/3.6
I prefer to staying in NC, so I applied to UNC and Wake. If I got accepted by any of the two schools, I will not got to Cardozo.
But I don't know when these two schools will give back results. Hopefully I could know before spring.
Last edited by rebeccac on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I don't mind staying in NYC after graduation. But I prefer to staying with family in NC in the next three years.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 pm

You should wait, especially as you haven't heard from your top choices yet.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Remember: 20k is nothing, and will only cover MOST of your living expenses. You will still have to pony up the other 40-50k per year to go to the fourth-best school in a highly saturated market. Do not go.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

It also says the scholarship will be automatically renewed in the 2nd and 3rd years if I keep 3.0 GPA or better (like being top 80% in class). How hard is it to maintain the scholarship?

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

use search function to read some of user areyouinsane's posts. Dozo is a bad idea

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

I would wait you are in at Wake probably with some money and the COL in NC is significantly less than NYC, and like others have said 20k would barely cover living expenses

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 pm

No way, not if you're going to borrow the rest of the money. I have some friends at Cardozo and it sounds like a bloodbath. CLS and NYU are doing okay in NYC, but Fordham is rough and the shit rolls downhill from there. $20k a year is not nothing, but you'll still be paying ~$150k for the degree and Cardozo just does not give you good odds of being able to pay back that kind of debt comfortably.

UNC or Wake probably won't get you biglaw either, but my understanding is that they are at least respected in NC. Hopefully a degree from one of those would put you in okay shape for local practice down there. Cardozo is just low, low, low on the totem pole in NYC, and pretty much anonymous elsewhere.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:52 pm

And you're competing against grads from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Duke, UVA, and many others for a piece of that sweet NYC pie. Cardozo isn't impressing anyone!

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:And you're competing against grads from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Duke, UVA, and many others for a piece of that sweet NYC pie. Cardozo isn't impressing anyone!

Columbia NYU>>Cornell >> Fordham >> Cardozo.
And these are only the schools that have NYC has a home market. Throw in HYSCMVPBDNG and I say wait.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm

top30man wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:And you're competing against grads from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Duke, UVA, and many others for a piece of that sweet NYC pie. Cardozo isn't impressing anyone!

Columbia NYU>>Cornell >> Fordham >> Cardozo.
And these are only the schools that have NYC has a home market. Throw in HYSCMVPBDNG and I say wait.

Hell might as well count Penn as having NYC as a home market, slotting between CLS/NYU and Cornell.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm

w/o full ride, no.

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 pm

How's NY for public interest/government work? Cardozo with good money still a bad choice?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Even with a full ride, COA at Cardozo will run you upwards of $20k a year. I would be wary of attending this school at all. It's a regional school in the most saturated market in the entire country.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 pm

rebeccac wrote:My numbers are 164/3.6
I prefer to staying in NC, so I applied to UNC and Wake. If I got accepted by any of the two schools, I will not got to Cardozo.
But I don't know when these two schools will give back results. Hopefully I could know before spring.

I'd say you're in at both. I was with 4.0/160. UNC is notoriously slow, though.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 pm

airbear1012 wrote:How's NY for public interest/government work? Cardozo with good money still a bad choice?

These days, the PI jobs in NYC go to T14 grads with decent grades and a fully loaded public-service resume. Also, budgets are getting cut and hiring is down as a result. Where do you want to work, Legal Aid? Bronx Defenders? NYLAG? NYCLU? Good luck with that. The club's nearly full, and going to Cardozo puts you near the back of a very long line.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:
airbear1012 wrote:How's NY for public interest/government work? Cardozo with good money still a bad choice?

These days, the PI jobs in NYC go to T14 grads with decent grades and a fully loaded public-service resume. Also, budgets are getting cut and hiring is down as a result. Where do you want to work, Legal Aid? Bronx Defenders? NYLAG? NYCLU? Good luck with that. The club's nearly full, and going to Cardozo puts you near the back of a very long line.

+1. I know you'll be standing in line behind NYU grads with stacked resumes, no matter what comes from other schools.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 am

ahduth wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

+1. I know you'll be standing in line behind NYU grads with stacked resumes, no matter what comes from other schools.

Yes... NYU grads with stacked resumes who are nonetheless very nervous in this economy. Public interest hiring seems to be suffering a much bigger dip than firm hiring these days.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”