Law for judges/profs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IAFG

Re: Law for judges/profs

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:
IAFG0 wrote:If you've already done that and they've just said to get some American JD, the curriculum at most schools is pretty equivalent so I would be bargain-shopping. If money were no object, I'd probably be aiming for DC-area schools.

Just curious, why DC over other areas?

Great externing opportunities during the school year, especially relevant to OP's stated interests.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 am

IAFG wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:
IAFG0 wrote:If you've already done that and they've just said to get some American JD, the curriculum at most schools is pretty equivalent so I would be bargain-shopping. If money were no object, I'd probably be aiming for DC-area schools.

Just curious, why DC over other areas?

Great externing opportunities during the school year, especially relevant to OP's stated interests.

Yeah, it seems like DC is where it's at.

Just wondering, how would you rank DC-area schools in terms of interning/externing opportunities? And (I have no idea about DC-area geography or infrastructure) do you think UVA is within decent range of DC-area jobs for a commuter?

Off-topic but: Is UMD in decent commuting range of the Hill? (UMD not for law school but for a special program I'm applying to.)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 am

SehMeSerrious wrote:Yeah, it seems like DC is where it's at. Just wondering, how would you rank DC-area schools in terms of interning/externing opportunities? And (I have no idea about DC-area geography or infrastructure) do you think UVA is within decent range of DC-area jobs for a commuter?

I think to be in the "sphere" of good externship opportunities, you'd have to be able to work there all day twice a week, and the school has to let you do that for credit. Dunno if that's practical from UVA or if they grant credit?

NU is super flexible about letting you take advantage of all the orgs in Chicago, from CFTC to EPA, and it's easy to work there a couple days a week. DC has even more awesome orgs and my understanding is that most of the DC-area schools try to empower students to take advantage of those opportunities.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 am

SehMeSerrious wrote:do you think UVA is within decent range of DC-area jobs for a commuter?

http://g.co/maps/g6vx4

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:28 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:do you think UVA is within decent range of DC-area jobs for a commuter?

http://g.co/maps/g6vx4

Yeah, that's not very feasible. I guess Georgetown it is?

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:29 am

IAFG wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:Yeah, it seems like DC is where it's at. Just wondering, how would you rank DC-area schools in terms of interning/externing opportunities? And (I have no idea about DC-area geography or infrastructure) do you think UVA is within decent range of DC-area jobs for a commuter?

I think to be in the "sphere" of good externship opportunities, you'd have to be able to work there all day twice a week, and the school has to let you do that for credit. Dunno if that's practical from UVA or if they grant credit?

NU is super flexible about letting you take advantage of all the orgs in Chicago, from CFTC to EPA, and it's easy to work there a couple days a week. DC has even more awesome orgs and my understanding is that most of the DC-area schools try to empower students to take advantage of those opportunities.

Thanks, this is very good info!

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm

You should look at the profiles of law school Professor's. I know some brochures detail where particular law Professor's attended school. I think it is dependent on where you want to teach. MSU has multiple faculty from Cooley and Columbia...which shows a variance in education. I am not saying go to Cooley if you want to be a Professor, but thought that it was interesting.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”