Law for judges/profs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Loyalty

Law for judges/profs

Postby Loyalty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Hello, I am a prospect law applicant and I am interested in becoming a judge or a law professor (probably after a few years of practicing law especially). What areas/focus of laws are especially good for preparing for the desired route? And, what law schools (top 100) should I look into?

thanks,

Loyalty

ToTransferOrNot

Re: Law for judges/profs

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Loyalty wrote:Hello, I am a prospect law applicant and I am interested in becoming a judge or a law professor (probably after a few years of practicing law especially). What areas/focus of laws are especially good for preparing for the desired route? And, what law schools (top 100) should I look into?

thanks,

Loyalty

What is this I don't even

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Loyalty wrote:Hello, I am a prospect law applicant and I am interested in becoming a judge or a law professor (probably after a few years of practicing law especially). What areas/focus of laws are especially good for preparing for the desired route? And, what law schools (top 100) should I look into?

thanks,

Loyalty

I would look at Yale, Harvard, and Stanford as prospective schools to attend.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:10 pm

I imagine becoming a judge without more than "a few years" of practicing law is pretty much impossible.

For becoming a professor, Yale. If Yale is impossible, Harvard, Stanford or (maybe) Chicago, with strong grades and a publication. If you can't make those, go to a lesser school and publish like crazy during and after LS.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Yale

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Yale, Harvard, Stanford

To a lesser extent, Chicago, Columbia. Otherwise, forget about becoming a prof.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Yale, Harvard, Stanford

for academia, Chicago is greater than or equal to Stanford

Loyalty

Postby Loyalty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:29 pm

My apologies for not making it clear, I will not be practicing in the U.S. I will be going back to my home country (which does not have any law schools but most of the legal stuff are based on U.S constitution and law). I guess I was not also clear enough to mention that I was especially looking for a specialty/concentration (constitutional, administrative, ???) that is relevant to the job and what schools (doesn't have to THE BEST but within tier 1 &2 range) that are especially good in those areas. I hope that helps....

Loyalty

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Go to the best law school to which you are admitted. Otherwise, ask judges in your home country for recommendations.

P.S. It will be difficult to become a law professor in a country with no law schools.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm

The good news is that becoming a judge (especially a state judge) has little to do merit. Just befriend the right people from the right political party in your desired region.

thedive

Postby thedive » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:23 am

Go to a school that has one of the largest law libraries. Judges and profs. are very smart because they read about 16 hours of the day. Make sure to also keep up with local gossip reading such as the National Enquirer, Star Magazine, etc. Judges hate to be out of the loop on anything.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150721&p=4188514&hilit=academia#p4188514

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm

it's not all about practice. My step-dad was telling my about a guy in chicago with a big family name that ran for judge fresh out of law school. Judges in Illinois are elected...not exactly merit-based.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:51 am

Lol at this imbecile thinking he'll be a judge just lol

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:40 am

WSJ_Law wrote:Lol at this imbecile thinking he'll be a judge just lol

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:13 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150721&p=4188514&hilit=academia#p4188514

I stand corrected. I had just heard that Chi is more academia focused than S. Guess not.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Loyalty wrote:My apologies for not making it clear, I will not be practicing in the U.S. I will be going back to my home country (which does not have any law schools but most of the legal stuff are based on U.S constitution and law). I guess I was not also clear enough to mention that I was especially looking for a specialty/concentration (constitutional, administrative, ???) that is relevant to the job and what schools (doesn't have to THE BEST but within tier 1 &2 range) that are especially good in those areas. I hope that helps....

Loyalty

...how are you going to be a law professor in your country if there are no law schools?

Like...you want to teach at the undergraduate level?

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 pm

From what i understand, Columbia actually turns out more profs than virtually any other school.

Obviously, if you go into the top 3 then you'll still be in a good position for academia (if you finish really well in your class).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

TMC116 wrote:From what i understand, Columbia actually turns out more profs than virtually any other school.

Obviously, if you go into the top 3 then you'll still be in a good position for academia (if you finish really well in your class).

If you mean by "virtually every school" you mean raw as opposed to per capita, and all but a few, then yes.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 am

Yukos wrote:I imagine becoming a judge without more than "a few years" of practicing law is pretty much impossible.

You'd be wrong. You just have to be a Senator's son.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/feb/15/news/mn-28198

paul34

Postby paul34 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:58 am

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Go to the best law school to which you are admitted. Otherwise, ask judges in your home country for recommendations.

P.S. It will be difficult to become a law professor in a country with no law schools.

This is the only good advice ITT so far.

No one here even knows what your home country is, and probably even if you told us, we couldn't meaningfully help you figure this out. You need a good mentor back home (and I would ask multiple people for advice to try to find some consensus).

If you've already done that and they've just said to get some American JD, the curriculum at most schools is pretty equivalent so I would be bargain-shopping. If money were no object, I'd probably be aiming for DC-area schools.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm

TMC116 wrote:From what i understand, Columbia actually turns out more profs than virtually any other school.

anstone1988

Postby anstone1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Loyalty wrote:My apologies for not making it clear, I will not be practicing in the U.S. I will be going back to my home country (which does not have any law schools but most of the legal stuff are based on U.S constitution and law). I guess I was not also clear enough to mention that I was especially looking for a specialty/concentration (constitutional, administrative, ???) that is relevant to the job and what schools (doesn't have to THE BEST but within tier 1 &2 range) that are especially good in those areas. I hope that helps....

Loyalty

If abroad, then Harvard. If in the US, then Yale.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 pm

IAFG0 wrote:If you've already done that and they've just said to get some American JD, the curriculum at most schools is pretty equivalent so I would be bargain-shopping. If money were no object, I'd probably be aiming for DC-area schools.

Just curious, why DC over other areas?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”