Need some advice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sspinner

Need some advice

Postby Sspinner » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:50 pm

So I am getting ready to send off my applications later this week and I need to start realistically thinking about my options. I have a 160 (October) and a 3.3 coming out of undergrad. I'm a Florida resident and would be quite content to work here after graduating.

I probably won't get into UF so my decision is really based on what happens with my application at FSU. I will probably get into Miami but I really can't afford to go there and there is no point to stay in state and pay out of state tuition rates.

Assuming that I don't get into FSU, I would need to make a really tough decision. Instead of going to a sub-par school or racking up more debt than I can handle, I am considering taking a year off and getting my score up.

Basically my question is whether taking a year off to work and study to get a higher score will have any detrimental effect on my chances to get accepted to FSU or UF in the next cycle (assuming I get around 165 or higher).

Given my situation, would taking the time off to study be a better option than going to either Miami or an out of state school?

rinkrat19

Re: Need some advice

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Most people are going to tell you that taking a year off and retaking is the ONLY wise option here.

But to actually answer your question: No, taking a year off would not hurt your chances at FSU next year at all, especially if you're doing something besides studying for the LSAT in that time (working or volunteering) that you can put on your resume.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I am going to say yes to year off and retake and I guarantee everybody else who posts says the same thing.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:03 pm

I took this year off and it was hands down the best choice I could've made. I retook a 159 and just got a 169, which makes a huge change in the range of schools I'm looking at. Plus, having a year of work experience never hurts. My recommendation, like most others, is to go with the year off and start studying!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I am going to say yes to year off and retake and I guarantee everybody else who posts says the same thing.

+1.

OP, you would be well served to take time off. Look at the bright side, you're giving the economy another year to improve.

Sspinner

Postby Sspinner » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Alright, thanks guys. It looks like I'll be praying that I get into FSU and if not I'll take some time off and try and get over 165.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Sspinner wrote:Alright, thanks guys. It looks like I'll be praying that I get into FSU and if not I'll take some time off and try and get over 165.

Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”