Is Michigan State worth it with a scholly?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
llachans

Is Michigan State worth it with a scholly?

Postby llachans » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I've heard a lot of poor things about michigan state. However, they've sent multiple e-mails and called me, saying if I would apply, I'd be a strong candidate for a $25,000 scholarship. I'm torn about applying.

If I did obtain this kind of money, would MSU be worth it?

I want to become a prosecutor and have no ambition at big law. Furthermore, I'd be okay staying in MI after graduation.

bigeast03

Re: Is Michigan State worth it with a scholly?

Postby bigeast03 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 pm

What are your stats? Regardless, if you aspirations are for Michigan prosecution, there are much worse choices you could make than taking a large scholarship from Michigan State. The total cost of admissions after this 25k a year scholarship is still going to leave you with about 75k in debt plus whatever you had from undergrad, so keep that in mind as well. That would work out to $863 a month on a standard ten year repayment plan, unless you choose to use IBR. There are certainly risks associated with this school, but so long as you are comfortable with staying in Michigan and working prosecution it could be worthwhile for you.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I think it's a good choice if you want to stay in MI. Be aware that it doesn't have much of a reputation elsewhere.

Sheendream

Postby Sheendream » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 pm

edited
Last edited by Sheendream on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:19 pm

bigeast03 wrote:What are your stats?

160/3.50

Thanks all, it's been helpful. I guess I'll shoot an app their way (the fee's been waived so I might as well) and see what they offer me money-wise.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm

llachans wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:What are your stats?

160/3.50

Thanks all, it's been helpful. I guess I'll shoot an app their way (the fee's been waived so I might as well) and see what they offer me money-wise.

I think this is very reasonable. You stand a good chance and are being very realistic with your career goals. I would also make sure to be careful about stipulations on the scholarships.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:50 pm

top30man wrote:
I think this is very reasonable. You stand a good chance and are being very realistic with your career goals. I would also make sure to be careful about stipulations on the scholarships.

I'm trying to be as realistic as possible! TLS has definitely been a huge help with remaining realistic and considering the limitations of regional schools.

And yes, I will definitely be careful about scholarship stipulations!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:09 am

FWIW, I got what sounds like the exact same email. I'm a 164/3.57. It sounds like just their standard fee waiver email to me. I do think it would be a good fit for you though if you want to be in Michigan and do prosecution though.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:39 am

I think MSU is trying hard to move up in the rankings, offering big money to applicants at or above their medians. It will be interesting to see where they are in a few years.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:50 am

Got the phone calls and emails last cycle.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 am

if you are okay with staying in michigan afterwords, then its a decent option. Especially since you should be offered a decent scholarship ( 75%). watch the stipulations on it though!

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 pm

I have heard on several occasions, and I don't know how reputable this is, that MSU section stacks pretty hard. I was offered $17.5k/year but I'm really shaky about losing it because of potentially shady practices on their part. Michigan State would be an excellent school to attend for next to nothing, but definitely not worth $33k/year plus living expenses. If I was in your shoes, I would wait out the rest of your cycle. Work out the costs under the assumption that you will lose any scholarships offered to you and see how much debt you'll be in at each school. If any of the numbers are over your comfort zone, then don't attend those schools. If your level of expected investment is not surpassed, then pick the best school and go for it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:11 pm

MSU scholarships are easily maintained. Large law school that is getting larger. Great for those seeking an alternative entrance into the University of Ottawa & wishing to practice in Canada (the four year program awards participants both US & Canadian law degrees).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:12 pm

OP: The answer to your question: It depends upon your goals.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:13 pm

and where you want to practice.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Opie wrote:FWIW, I got what sounds like the exact same email. I'm a 164/3.57. It sounds like just their standard fee waiver email to me. I do think it would be a good fit for you though if you want to be in Michigan and do prosecution though.

I got it too. Michigan State just sends a ton of mail. You probably are fairly competitive for money. JUST BE CAREFUL of accepting it if the scholly has stpulations

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:35 pm

if you are seriously being considerded for a scholarship, and you didnt allready write a why msu essay, the comittee will ask you to write one. If i recall correctly, they do this via email.

patrickj11288

Postby patrickj11288 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Friend's sister went to michigan state and is a 3L this year. She was top 5% her first year and they gave her full tuition for the remaining 2 years at MSU. She's going to be working for a firm in Cincinatti after this year. That said she absolutely studied her ass off and aside from the rare cases I dont think MSU will take you very far ourside of Michigan, but if you want to work in prosecution in Michigan, which im considering in Indiana, MSU would be a good choice, but only with money since its technically a private school.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. I plan on applying to a good amount of schools and will most likely go to whichever has the least debt, since I could see myself practicing in all of the areas which I am applying to. I will definitely work on a why MSU essay though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”