$$ at UT Austin or sticker at Penn? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: $$ at UT Austin or sticker at Penn?

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
crit_racer wrote:Big 12>>>>>Big 10

HTH
wtf is this?
I believe that's known as a whoosh.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm

blink wrote:Penn = Ivy League

Penn St. = Big 10

HTH
It's a joke.

HTH

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 am

Penn for all three markets you mentioned.

Some people (mostly from the North East) think Texas places as well as a T10 in Arizona because of where it is located but it really doesn't.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:14 am

flcath wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I would never live in Texas, so Penn
I don't have any opinion on the overall thread (how can anyone? OP hasn't said how much $$$, right?), but saying that Penn > UT on the location factor is ludicrous.
lol I agree; let's just slam states based on our own personal preference. I hate Pennsylvania (never been there) and would never live in the northeast (am living there). omg my comment is so helpful!

The people who are actually helpful in this thread have given the OP great information already imo. Lower COL, cheaper tuition, $$$ scholarship, OP's own personal preference to location (which doesn't seem to be a huge factor from what he's said in his posts) vs. more career mobility, etc. on Penn's side.

Also from the feeling I got from OP's posts...Penn sounds like the way to go for him.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
flcath wrote:
I don't have any opinion on the overall thread (how can anyone? OP hasn't said how much $$$, right?), but saying that Penn > UT on the location factor is ludicrous.
lol I agree; let's just slam states based on our own personal preference. I hate Pennsylvania (never been there) and would never live in the northeast (am living there). omg my comment is so helpful!

The people who are actually helpful in this thread have given the OP great information already imo. Lower COL, cheaper tuition, $$$ scholarship, OP's own personal preference to location (which doesn't seem to be a huge factor from what he's said in his posts) vs. more career mobility, etc. on Penn's side.

Also from the feeling I got from OP's posts...Penn sounds like the way to go for him.
y u mad? I'm just pointing out that if you're not comfortable with the very strong likelihood of ending up in Texas, it's not the right school to pick. Besides, he asked for opinions

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 am

OP has said how much $$$ is- 10k/yr for three years. Without residency, that would be about 12k less in tuition a year than Penn.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:25 am

JamMasterJ wrote: y u mad? I'm just pointing out that if you're not comfortable with the very strong likelihood of ending up in Texas, it's not the right school to pick. Besides, he asked for opinions
You're right, I shouldn't be mad at you for the dumb things you say, but alas I am human. That being said, please don't pretend
is
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm just pointing out that if you're not comfortable with the very strong likelihood of ending up in Texas, it's not the right school to pick.
The latter is good advice, the former is just a dumb thing to say.

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: y u mad? I'm just pointing out that if you're not comfortable with the very strong likelihood of ending up in Texas, it's not the right school to pick. Besides, he asked for opinions
You're right, I shouldn't be mad at you for the dumb things you say, but alas I am human. That being said, please don't pretend
is
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm just pointing out that if you're not comfortable with the very strong likelihood of ending up in Texas, it's not the right school to pick.
OP explicitly asked which would YOU pick. I hardly consider answering a question properly dumb.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 am

bigeast03 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
is
OP explicitly asked which would YOU pick. I hardly consider answering a question properly dumb.
There is clearly a difference between the specific question in the OP and what OP is actually seeking. Don't pretend people are unaware of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am

bigeast03 wrote: OP explicitly asked which would YOU pick. I hardly consider answering a question properly dumb.
While that is technically true, I don't think my assumption that OP wanted advice for his decision is an unfair/inaccurate one (and not him actually caring about your own personal reasons, i.e. "I would choose Penn because my grandmother is old and lives in the city"). But hey, I could be wrong -- as I even mentioned in another thread, I have been on a rage fit on TLS the last few days and just been quite ornery. Sorry Jam if I came across as brusque, but your comment obviously rubbed me the wrong way, and I think we all know what you actually meant by it. Shoot, bigeast said essentially the same thing, but in a way that was a lot less abrasive.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

im not from Texas or PA so its out-of-state tuition either way...

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 pm

boosk wrote:im not from Texas or PA so its out-of-state tuition either way...
pretty sure Texas gives you in-state in addition to the scholarship. you should call and check. besides tuition, you'll also have a lower COL being in Austin.

that said, do you even want to work in Texas? if not, then Penn all the way.

(not sure if your out-of-state reference to Penn is a subtle jab)

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

haha no jab intended, I understand they only offer one tuition rate...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:18 pm

f0bolous wrote:
boosk wrote:im not from Texas or PA so its out-of-state tuition either way...
pretty sure Texas gives you in-state in addition to the scholarship. you should call and check. besides tuition, you'll also have a lower COL being in Austin.

that said, do you even want to work in Texas? if not, then Penn all the way.

(not sure if your out-of-state reference to Penn is a subtle jab)
+1, well done if so

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”