Does anybody actually attend their safety school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JamMasterJ

Re: Does anybody actually attend their safety school?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There should be no such concept as safety school for law school admissions. If you have a shitty cycle, you apply again. Unlike undergrad, you really don't have to do law school right now. It's just fine to wait a year or more.

my point, but put better.

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:I'm at my safety now and I love it. I did get into the other schools I wanted to attend but chose this one for financial reasons.

Ditto the situation and reasoning. Except that I'm miserable here.

tuckerp

Postby tuckerp » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I think a lot of people in the South attend their "safety/you know this is the responsible choice" school just because it places well where the applicant may want to work and it's often half the debt

The big state schools in the South tend to be the higher ranked schools down there and an applicant with a 163-66ish LSAT may try to stretch for a pedigree school but come to realize that UNC, UGA, Bama, UF is the more favorable option because of state residency and the bearing it has on their debt.

Don't know that you can really say they go to their "safety" but I do think it's fair to say that many choose their in-state T-50 school over their top choice T-25 school in order to save $$ and maximize their investment.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 am

I'm actually in the same boat at you..I'm from richmond and got accepted there but I didn't say it was my safety..I applied to 3 third tier schools as safeties..but anyway..got into richmond was super excited then I got into w&l and that pretty much meant no richmond for me..til I was offered pretty much the same scholarship as you..so since I haven't heard from w&l scholarship info yet I'm not sure..but I live in the w&l forum and im loving the school

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

anjmissy wrote:I'm actually in the same boat at you..I'm from richmond and got accepted there but I didn't say it was my safety..I applied to 3 third tier schools as safeties..but anyway..got into richmond was super excited then I got into w&l and that pretty much meant no richmond for me..til I was offered pretty much the same scholarship as you..so since I haven't heard from w&l scholarship info yet I'm not sure..but I live in the w&l forum and im loving the school

Yeah, that sounds like how I'm feeling. I really love the way W&L has handled their admissions process (god bless Brett Twitty), and I think I'd be really happy there. But there are basically no job opportunities in Lex for my partner, and it'd be hard to turn down big money from Richmond, especially if I think that I'd be happy living and working there.

Can you tell me anything about the city, since you're from there? Did you like it?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:37 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:I'm actually in the same boat at you..I'm from richmond and got accepted there but I didn't say it was my safety..I applied to 3 third tier schools as safeties..but anyway..got into richmond was super excited then I got into w&l and that pretty much meant no richmond for me..til I was offered pretty much the same scholarship as you..so since I haven't heard from w&l scholarship info yet I'm not sure..but I live in the w&l forum and im loving the school

Yeah, that sounds like how I'm feeling. I really love the way W&L has handled their admissions process (god bless Brett Twitty), and I think I'd be really happy there. But there are basically no job opportunities in Lex for my partner, and it'd be hard to turn down big money from Richmond, especially if I think that I'd be happy living and working there.

Can you tell me anything about the city, since you're from there? Did you like it?

actually spending 18 years of my life in Richmond was ok for a while, but of course it got old over time and I could'nt wait to leave...there was plenty to do in Richmond tho, but the night scene is kind of boring..you may like it though..if you're big on the night scene though I don't think you will..there are only 3 clubs/hang outs for lgbt, ive been to all of them and they are all wack...but i guess if i attend W&L there wouldn't be anything better there..lol..but finding a place to live/employment in richmond is pretty easy. I lived in the lakeside/henrico area, which was about 5 mins from UR's campus..there will definitely be more to do in richmond than lexington. But since the gap in rank is so huge between the two schools, that made me easily decide on W&L over richmond..hope that helps

Return to “Choosing a Law School”