Does anybody actually attend their safety school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hookem12

Bronze

Re: Does anybody actually attend their safety school?

Post by hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

If you're not going to be happy with your safety school, I'd say don't even bother applying (unless you want to use it as leverage for possible scholarship money). I have 3 safeties that are still good schools and I'd be happy to live and work in any of the areas they're located in. If you do well at your safety, you might end up doing the same thing you'd be doing if you got a degree from your reach.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I started at my safety school, but definitely wouldn't have gone if it wasn't a regionally dominant school in a place I would have happily practiced. If your safety school is something like NYLS, just don't go.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 am

mrloblaw wrote:I started at my safety school, but definitely wouldn't have gone if it wasn't a regionally dominant school in a place I would have happily practiced. If your safety school is something like NYLS, just don't go.
+1 to this whole post.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 am

Well, my safety school is a T20 in a market I would love to work in and I'm from that city originally, so yeah, I'd be happy there.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 am

American_in_China wrote:Well, my safety school is a T20 in a market I would love to work in and I'm from that city originally, so yeah, I'd be happy there.
You should have no qualms about applying to this school then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 am

I went to my safety because I loved the school and they gave me a nice scholarship. Spent a year there, enjoyed it, then I transferred to a T6. There is something to be said for going to a school where you're far beyond the 75th percentile LSAT.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

Again, I really think it depends what caliber your safeties are. My safeties are in the t14 and I wouldn't mind attending the lower t14, but if my "safeties" were really low ranking then I might think twice. If you get a full ride to a safety that is decently ranked, it might not be a bad idea.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:26 am

freestallion wrote:Again, I really think it depends what caliber your safeties are. My safeties are in the t14 and I wouldn't mind attending the lower t14, but if my "safeties" were really low ranking then I might think twice. If you get a full ride to a safety that is decently ranked, it might not be a bad idea.
This is true. You have to look at the situation. My safety is a TTT, but it places as well as or better than any other school in my town. I own a house here already and my wife and kids are here. Plus, if I get their top scholarship it is a full ride plus a $10k stipend and a couple of annual networking events including brunch with Dwight Opperman (the man responsible for WestLaw).

This is a good option for me, but it might not be for everyone.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 pm

freestallion wrote:Again, I really think it depends what caliber your safeties are. My safeties are in the t14 and I wouldn't mind attending the lower t14, but if my "safeties" were really low ranking then I might think twice. If you get a full ride to a safety that is decently ranked, it might not be a bad idea.
this is how I felt. I decided that if I didn't get T14 that it would be better to wait another year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 pm

To the people that expressed enthusiasm for W&M--what about W&M makes the school your top choice? Does the school have reach along the east coast or is the reach more limited to the DC/VA area?

I was accepted at W&M w/ $$, but really want to leave VA...

The Richmond Marshall Scholars program is actually pretty sweet. The program includes a seminar that meets once a week, taught by a VA Supreme Court justice (Justice Lacey) w/ a different guest speaker every week (read: networking). I still don't recommend Richmond if you can go someplace substantially better, but if you want to stay in VA and get into the Marshall Scholars program, you will have a great shot at a clerkship/other local opportunities.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Is Dozo w/ a scholly>W&M with a scholly for NYC?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Im at my safety.
Me too. I am enjoying it.
Ditto.

Aha0005

New

Post by Aha0005 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Also, for current law students, what do you recommend? Sitting at the top of your class at your safety (which may be a 3rd or 4th tier school) or sweating at a more competitive school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Aha0005 wrote:Also, for current law students, what do you recommend? Sitting at the top of your class at your safety (which may be a 3rd or 4th tier school) or sweating at a more competitive school?
This is a horrible assumption. Just because you attend your safety, this does NOT mean you will be at the top of your class.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:54 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Aha0005 wrote:Also, for current law students, what do you recommend? Sitting at the top of your class at your safety (which may be a 3rd or 4th tier school) or sweating at a more competitive school?
This is a horrible assumption. Just because you attend your safety, this does NOT mean you will be at the top of your class.
+1

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

chimp wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
+1
Seriously. Pretty sure I finished higher in my t-14 class than I would have at a TTT.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 am

Geneva wrote:Is Dozo w/ a scholly>W&M with a scholly for NYC?
If you're NYC or bust. Otherwise, no

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
If you're NYC or bust. Otherwise, no
Either way, no no no.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I applied to URichmond as a safety (3.22/166) and recently received admission with an invitation to apply for their top scholarship which would cover all but $5k/year in tuition. I hadn't been thinking about it super seriously, but the idea of that kind of money is intriguing and I was just wondering if anybody had been happy about going to a lower-ranked safety school because of money.

I love Virginia and my SO and I would probably be happy in Richmond, but I can't help thinking that I might get a better education elsewhere and that I might regret it when/if I can't find a job (I want to do PI, if it matters).

Any stories about safety school success? Or any reason to stay away?

It's all hypothetical, I guess -- Richmond is the only school I've heard back from thus far -- but I'm trying to figure out my thought process earlier rather than later.
Richmond kills it in Richmond. If working in Richmond is your goal then you'd be foolish to pay for a JD, even at UVA. (Full disclosure-I'm at UVA now). Why? UVA grads have a presumption they must overcome, namely that they'd rather be somewhere else. W&M might not have such a large problem with this, so someone who is going there could speak better to that issue. On the other hand, if you have decent Richmond ties, you should be able to nail every Richmond interview at UVA OCI since such a large %age of your class would want to go elsewhere, and thereby profit.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Im at my safety.
Me too. I am enjoying it.
Me too. Really happy with my decision.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:04 pm

ilovesf wrote:
This is underrated advice. Im at my safety and prolly have a top 98 percentile LSAT at my school. I dont feel confident AT ALL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm

bport hopeful wrote: This is underrated advice. Im at my safety and prolly have a top 98 percentile LSAT at my school. I dont feel confident AT ALL.
Pretty much exact same boat. I feel great about one class, and would honestly not be too broken up over median in the other two.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Kabuo wrote:
bport hopeful wrote: This is underrated advice. Im at my safety and prolly have a top 98 percentile LSAT at my school. I dont feel confident AT ALL.
Pretty much exact same boat. I feel great about one class, and would honestly not be too broken up over median in the other two.
Ill have a deep feel of relief if I come out above median overall.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:37 pm

There should be no such concept as safety school for law school admissions. If you have a shitty cycle, you apply again. Unlike undergrad, you really don't have to do law school right now. It's just fine to wait a year or more.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:48 pm

If you're set on NYC, find a way to get into Fordham, at the least.

Edit: And I wouldn't even consider Fordham without a nice scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”