Missing any schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
llachans

Missing any schools?

Postby llachans » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:05 pm

3.50/160.
Average or so softs (intern at a jail and lots of volunteer positions at LGBT organizations)

Schools:
DePaul
Loyola Chicago
Chicago Kent
Iowa (reach)
Seattle U.
U of Oregon
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
Lewis and Clark

Will I be sure to get into one or two of these? Am I missing any obvious choices?

Grizz

Re: Missing any schools?

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

llachans wrote:Am I missing any obvious choices?

Retake LSAT?

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:10 pm

I'd like to stay in the Chicago area (if possible) due to my SO. Even if I retook, the possibility of me getting into Chicago/Northwestern is unlikely. Furthermore, I'd like to work for the DA. I plan on trying to keep tuition hopefully as low as possible.

Do I have a good shot at getting into at least one of those Chicago schools?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Retaking could boost you into U of I or get you scholarship money at one of the three Chicago TT schools, both of which would definitely change your circumstances. However, if you choose to move forward regardless, the only schools that will place (at least reliably) in Chicago are Loyola, Kent, DePaul, and John Marshall in that order. John Marshall used to be a major feeder into the State Attorney's and Public Defender's offices, but the tough times have increased competition. I would put an application in nonetheless, as you may be able to attend for next to nothing. And, realistically, its not placing much worse than the other three.

As for your chances, you're probably in at all of them. No scholarship money except for JMLS. That means ~$40,000 in tuition per year, plus another ~$15,000 (conservatively) in living/misc expenses. $55,000 x 3 years = $165,000. Add in interest over the course of the loan and you're near $225,000 for an education from a TT school. Totally unjustifiable.

My advice: Look for another market. With your numbers, you simply can't compete. There are plenty of cities where you can attend a good, low cost TT law school for less than half the price of those listed above. Look at state schools with low tuition prices, strong LRAP programs, and solid regional placement. If going out of state, choose a state that will let you qualify for in-state rates immediately or within 12 months.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am

mrtoren wrote:
My advice: Look for another market. With your numbers, you simply can't compete. There are plenty of cities where you can attend a good, low cost TT law school for less than half the price of those listed above. Look at state schools with low tuition prices, strong LRAP programs, and solid regional placement. If going out of state, choose a state that will let you qualify for in-state rates immediately or within 12 months.

Would Virginia/North Carolina or Washington/Oregon be more practical in your opinion?

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 am

WVU could be a good choice. Decent TT in an area with no other schools. Pitt wouldnt be a bad choice either (neither one of these at sticker obviously).

For Virginia, try Richmond. Im an east coast guy so I know very little about the Washington market.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 am

Alright. I'll look more into all of those. Thank you!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:39 am

llachans wrote:
mrtoren wrote:

Would Virginia/North Carolina or Washington/Oregon be more practical in your opinion?

Are you from any of those places or do you have ties there?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”