Philadelphia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beach_terror

Re: Philadelphia

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am

r6_philly wrote:
x7227 wrote:I mean unless you're living in Upper Darby proper or other parts of Delco (say...oh...Chester (which is really just Camden-West)), you're not worse off than if you were in Havertown.

I said this to Heavenwood, but it bears repeating. The people from Havertown are simple folk...their teenagers follow the ancient Havertown tradition of hanging out in the wawa parking lot and the slightly more modern tradition of hanging out in the newer wawa parking lot. They're a hardscrabble folk and should be admired for their dedication to their customs...sorta like the Amish. But much like the Amish, we just don't want to live amongst them nor they amongst us.

You should stop.

And I live in Delco.

I used to hang out in wawa parking lots when I was younger. Skateboarding and wawa go hand in hand. Havertown park was an ideal location for rif-raffery and wawa consumption/loitering.
Last edited by beach_terror on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am

HeavenWood wrote:I think he's being facetious, although I'm not quite sure I get the joke.

Being facetious does not automatically place the person making the statement in a better light.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:36 am

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:I think he's being facetious, although I'm not quite sure I get the joke.

Being facetious does not automatically place the person making the statement in a better light.

...dour seriousness...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:36 am

beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
x7227 wrote:I mean unless you're living in Upper Darby proper or other parts of Delco (say...oh...Chester (which is really just Camden-West)), you're not worse off than if you were in Havertown.

I said this to Heavenwood, but it bears repeating. The people from Havertown are simple folk...their teenagers follow the ancient Havertown tradition of hanging out in the wawa parking lot and the slightly more modern tradition of hanging out in the newer wawa parking lot. They're a hardscrabble folk and should be admired for their dedication to their customs...sorta like the Amish. But much like the Amish, we just don't want to live amongst them nor they amongst us.

You should stop.

And I live in Delco.

I used to hang out in wawa parking lots when I was younger. Skateboarding and wawa go hand in hand. Havertown park was an ideal location for rif-raffery and wawa consumption/loitering.

I don't really have a problem with the characterization of Havertown youth since I also hung out in Havertown when I was young. I am more concerned about the Amish and the statement that people don't want to live amongst others or others amongst them purely on ethnicity/culture grouping. Hint - substitute "Amish" with anything else.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 am

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am

x7227 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

...dour seriousness...

Wasn't funny.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am

beach_terror wrote:Image

Also wasn't funny. :lol:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You should stop.

And I live in Delco.

I don't really have a problem with the characterization of Havertown youth since I also hung out in Havertown when I was young. I am more concerned about the Amish and the statement that people don't want to live amongst others or others amongst them purely on ethnicity/culture grouping. Hint - substitute "Amish" with anything else.

Ok, really? That's what concerns you? I'm not sure if you're upset that I'm characterizing Amish people as cultural isolationists or that I'm comparing others to Amish cultural isolation. If its the former, I can't help you. Many of the Amish communities (Pennsylvania Dutch) are a culturally isolated society with their own language, customs and traditions. Many could care less that they are living in Pennsylvania (or Ohio, Nebraska ect.), that is a construct of a society in which they are not a part. While some Mennonites and Amish will associate with outsiders, others will not talk to you at all if you are not one of them. But, you know, I only lived in Lancaster County for four years and studied historical Amish culture for a year. I have no clue what their society is really like... I've only had Amish folks refuse to talk to me without the proper introductions.

If its the latter, I think you've missed the point of satire and, again, I can't help you there...

Keep playing PC police on TLS though, this is all I'll think about:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:18 pm

x7227 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You should stop.

And I live in Delco.

I think he's being facetious, although I'm not quite sure I get the joke.

I'm being extremely facetious, if that didn't come across I apologize. There is absolutely nothing about TLS that I take seriously. I try to be the funny one in a sea of dour seriousness.

I worked in Delco, most of it is extremely lovely, but parts of it are...not. As for Havertown, it just has a certain reputation, earned or not. Its the butt of many jokes. Its like jokes about New Jersey or Poland. They're clearly meant as a humorous stereotypical caricature. We emphasize the worst characteristics to enhance the parody...

I never heard a single Havertown joke growing up. Not a one. I don't see what separates it from other inner-ring, middle- to upper-middle class Philly suburbs, but maybe I've just been missing something all these years. :wink:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
x7227 wrote:

I'm being extremely facetious, if that didn't come across I apologize. There is absolutely nothing about TLS that I take seriously. I try to be the funny one in a sea of dour seriousness.

I worked in Delco, most of it is extremely lovely, but parts of it are...not. As for Havertown, it just has a certain reputation, earned or not. Its the butt of many jokes. Its like jokes about New Jersey or Poland. They're clearly meant as a humorous stereotypical caricature. We emphasize the worst characteristics to enhance the parody...

I never heard a single Havertown joke growing up. Not a one. I don't see what separates it from other inner-ring, middle- to upper-middle class Philly suburbs, but maybe I've just been missing something all these years. :wink:

Watch out Heavenwood... r6 might not understand irony either. You could be looking at a TLS thrashing the likes of which you've never had before!

Oh wait, is the winky-face what lets everyone know that a comment is not to be taken hyper-literally by the PC police? Who knew?! :WINK:

CRAP I MESSED THAT UP! NOW HOW WILL EVERYONE KNOW TO NOT TAKE ME SUPER SERIOUS?! :wink:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:40 pm

This is unbelievably retarded. x, I know you're joking, but your joke is neither funny nor rooted in reality. r6 is pissed because by making Havertown out to be some bastion of white trash, you're shitting on where he lives by proxy. I myself am just rolling my eyes at all this, but I do feel the need to set the record straight, especially for non-traditional prospective Philadelphia area law students with families.

I wasn't joking when I suggested Havertown as a place to live. It's safe, suburban, and affordable, with fairly good public schools. It also offers a fairly easy commute to Penn and Villanova.

I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean anything by this. That being said, I recommend you stop. Now.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 pm

HeavenWood wrote:This is unbelievably retarded. x, I know you're joking, but your joke is neither funny nor rooted in reality. r6 is pissed because by making Havertown out to be some bastion of white trash, you're shitting on where he lives by proxy. I myself am just rolling my eyes at all this, but I do feel the need to set the record straight, especially for non-traditional prospective Philadelphia area law students with families.

I wasn't joking when I suggested Havertown as a place to live. It's safe, suburban, and affordable, with fairly good public schools. It also offers a fairly easy commute to Penn and Villanova.

I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean anything by this. That being said, I recommend you stop. Now.

I didn't shit on where he lived and I find his righteous indignation hilarious. I also think you should look back at the conversation...I never once used the words "white trash". Worst I said was they were a simple folk who have teenagers that hang out in wawa parking lots. You're bringing your conceptions of Havertown stereotypes (upon which the jokes are based) to interpret my statements...which just further confirms that you understood the joke (as would anyone who has heard the jokes/stereotypes before). Its a joke. You understood it. Beach understood it. I'm assuming r6 even understood it, but chose to get all up in arms about it.

That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Havertown. Its fine. However, anyone who has lived in the area for an extended period of time and has a working knowledge of philly suburbs (this includes you) would easily agree that there are far more amenable, safer, cheaper, and convenient suburban locales for a law student (or anyone else for that matter) to live in these days.

If you wanna ignore my opinion on the subject, which I made through a humorous pastiche (not parody) of Havertown...feel free to hit the ignore button or just move along to the next thread. If someone feels the need to offer a differing opinion on Havertown, go right ahead. However, if you wanna feign righteous indignation and play PC police on TLS (especially when its clear you understand the joke and are subconsciously applying the very same humorous stereotypes I hinted at) that's just dumb. Everyone should just keep it up though, TLS arguments are quite useful to the wider community (see picture below for visual representation).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

This thread sums up the reasons I hate being from the Philadelphia area.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:53 pm

x7227 wrote:I didn't shit on where he lived and I find his righteous indignation hilarious. I also think you should look back at the conversation...I never once used the words "white trash".

No, you just implied it.
x7227 wrote:hey were a simple folk who have teenagers that hang out in wawa parking lots

x7227 wrote:You're bringing your conceptions of Havertown stereotypes (upon which the jokes are based) to interpret my statements...which just further confirms that you understood the joke (as would anyone who has heard the jokes/stereotypes before). Its a joke. You understood it. Beach understood it. I'm assuming r6 even understood it, but chose to get all up in arms about it.

Yes, I know it was a joke.

x7227 wrote:That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Havertown. Its fine. However, anyone who has lived in the area for an extended period of time and has a working knowledge of philly suburbs (this includes you) would easily agree that there are far more amenable, safer, cheaper, and convenient suburban locales for a law student (or anyone else for that matter) to live in these days.

I agree there are better nearby suburbs, but I disagree that there's a cheaper nearby suburb that fits that description. Marple and Springfield are of a similar cost and quality. The only suburbs significantly cheaper than Havertown that are convenient to Penn/Villanova are in worse shape.

x7227 wrote:If you wanna ignore my opinion on the subject, which I made through a humorous pastiche (not parody) of Havertown...feel free to hit the ignore button or just move along to the next thread. If someone feels the need to offer a differing opinion on Havertown, go right ahead. However, if you wanna feign righteous indignation and play PC police on TLS (especially when its clear you understand the joke and are subconsciously applying the very same humorous stereotypes I hinted at) that's just dumb. Everyone should just keep it up though, TLS arguments are quite useful to the wider community (see picture below for visual representation).

I'm not mad... at all. I was actually trying to help you. I will honestly say that at my elite public high school, which had its fair share of snobbery, people did not make Havertown jokes. They mostly shitted on Narberth and Ardmore. Occasionally Upper Darby. For me, the Havertown thing came out of complete left field.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Heavenwood wrote:
No, you just implied it.

Admitted insomuch as it referenced a stereotype known to the residents of the area. That you knew of the stereotype is what makes it a joke. Someone who didn't understand the reference might necessarily have a completely different understanding. (I can't believe I'm dissecting a joke on the internet...)

Heavenwood wrote:They mostly shitted on Narberth and Ardmore. Occasionally Upper Darby. For me, the Havertown thing came out of complete left field.

Shit rolls downhill... People from Ardmore and Narberth (see: LM) shit on havertown and upper darby. I just happened to grow up in close proximity to those folks...hence why the stereotypes are pretty second nature and are commonplace jokes. People from Havertown have stereotypes of LM people too and make plenty of jokes about them, so don't feel too bad for them. If you made a joke about Narberth or Ardmore with people who knew of the stereotype...it would be funny! Jokes are funny...I get jokes...
beach_terror wrote:This thread sums up the reasons I hate being from the Philadelphia area.

We try. People from New York will tell us that its because we live in their shadow. The rest of the country will tell us that its because we're all santa-pelting cheesesteak-eating loudmouths by nature. I prefer to think that its because of those stereotypes that we feel the need to either defend ourselves in the most obnoxious way possible, even against one of our own...thus helping to perpetuate the cycle.

See I can acknowledge stereotypes that apply to me, accept them, and use them in a humorous fashion without getting all up in arms about everything.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:11 pm

x7227 wrote:
Heavenwood wrote:
No, you just implied it.

Admitted insomuch as it referenced a stereotype known to the residents of the area. That you knew of the stereotype is what makes it a joke. Someone who didn't understand the reference might necessarily have a completely different understanding. (I can't believe I'm dissecting a joke on the internet...)

Yes, and I wanted to clear up that meaning for outsiders, who would have no way of knowing the extent of your joke. That's all.

tarp

Postby tarp » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 pm

To any of the trash talkers on here, would you care to meet for coffee next time you're in Center City? I'd love to talk face to face and see if you are capable of trash talk in person. If not, I'll see you in a couple years when you're working behind the counter at Wawa, when I stop in for some coffee after court.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm

tarp wrote:To any of the trash talkers on here, would you care to meet for coffee next time you're in Center City? I'd love to talk face to face and see if you are capable of trash talk in person. If not, I'll see you in a couple years when you're working behind the counter at Wawa, when I stop in for some coffee after court.

lewl

and I think I'm gonna be just fine. :wink:

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Wonder why Philly gets such a bad rep...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
x7227 wrote:
Heavenwood wrote:
No, you just implied it.

Yes, and I wanted to clear up that meaning for outsiders, who would have no way of knowing the extent of your joke. That's all.

And just because it's a joke doesn't make it tasteful, or funny. Yes I get the implication of a stereotype. I live here. But it doesn't make it any better.

And it isn't about PC at all. I am just expressing my opinion. x7227 decided to characterize the people in the area a certain way, and I decided to characterize x7227 as an ass.

If you don't like it, just pretend that it's a joke.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:
tarp wrote:To any of the trash talkers on here, would you care to meet for coffee next time you're in Center City? I'd love to talk face to face and see if you are capable of trash talk in person. If not, I'll see you in a couple years when you're working behind the counter at Wawa, when I stop in for some coffee after court.

Dude I'm 6'4 215. You aren't tough. Don't get outside your realm of knowledge, which is advocating for the worst school in the Philadelphia market.

You guys remind me of this

http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-16/n ... narmed-man

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
x7227 wrote:
Heavenwood wrote:
No, you just implied it.

And just because it's a joke doesn't make it tasteful, or funny. Yes I get the implication of a stereotype. I live here. But it doesn't make it any better.

And it isn't about PC at all. I am just expressing my opinion. x7227 decided to characterize the people in the area a certain way, and I decided to characterize x7227 as an ass.

If you don't like it, just pretend that it's a joke.

Ad hominem attacks, the last refuge of a lost argument...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 pm

x7227 wrote:Ad hominem attacks, the last refuge of a lost argument...

You lack the capacity to differentiate a statement from an argument? I'd love to hear you do some stereotype to yourself buddy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 pm

x7227 wrote:
I didn't shit on where he lived and I find his righteous indignation hilarious. I also think you should look back at the conversation...I never once used the words "white trash". Worst I said was they were a simple folk who have teenagers that hang out in wawa parking lots. You're bringing your conceptions of Havertown stereotypes (upon which the jokes are based) to interpret my statements...which just further confirms that you understood the joke (as would anyone who has heard the jokes/stereotypes before). Its a joke. You understood it. Beach understood it. I'm assuming r6 even understood it, but chose to get all up in arms about it.

That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Havertown. Its fine. However, anyone who has lived in the area for an extended period of time and has a working knowledge of philly suburbs (this includes you) would easily agree that there are far more amenable, safer, cheaper, and convenient suburban locales for a law student (or anyone else for that matter) to live in these days.

If you wanna ignore my opinion on the subject, which I made through a humorous pastiche (not parody) of Havertown...feel free to hit the ignore button or just move along to the next thread. If someone feels the need to offer a differing opinion on Havertown, go right ahead. However, if you wanna feign righteous indignation and play PC police on TLS (especially when its clear you understand the joke and are subconsciously applying the very same humorous stereotypes I hinted at) that's just dumb. Everyone should just keep it up though, TLS arguments are quite useful to the wider community (see picture below for visual representation).

BTW you type (argue) a lot for someone who purports to view internet arguments as stupid.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”