Philadelphia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Gold

Re: Philadelphia

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:39 pm

So... what law schools are people thinking about in the Philly area :lol:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:So... what law schools are people thinking about in the Philly area :lol:
From what I am reading, we are all supposed to apply to transfer to Drexel.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:So... what law schools are people thinking about in the Philly area :lol:
This way, all 200 students can start solo practices in Philadelphia.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
But then we would all get out-lawyered by tarp!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
But then we would all get out-lawyered by tarp!
We could all go work at his firm. It would end up being biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 am

If the level of respect some of you folks give others on this forum is representative of your level of respect to clients as practicing attorneys, I am sure many of you will be hailed before the ethics board in due time. FYI, I am leaving Philly. My wife can't stand the area, and I can't justify raising children here. It's a fun city for single people though, as long as you avoid the criminal element. So don't worry, you guys won't be "competing" against my solo practice, which actually isn't a solo. I am starting a two person firm with a very sharp, motivated colleague. Even though you guys seem quite mean-spirited and seem to be invested in my failure, I'll come back in a year or so and let you guys know how it goes. Starting a firm is not for everybody, but someone with prior business experience who has the mentality for juggling multiple tasks, being a salesperson, etc. can make it work. Of course, anyone with massive student loan debt should probably try to find a job so they won't default on their student loans. I have ZERO debt since Drexel gave me a full ride. Sure, I could have paid full tuition at American, half-tuition at Wake Forest, full tuition at Villanova, or taken a 30k scholly to St. John's (with a higher cost of living than Philly) but then I'd be saddled with debt which would be a huge impediment to starting my own firm. As it stands I got almost a full ride to Drexel, will graduate with zero debt, will graduate cum laude (and this is with raising two kids at the same time as law school, managing a side real estate business and married to a spouse who is also a full time student). I can practice in the area I desire, which is criminal defense and immigration (which BigLaw does not do). Even if I only break even the first year, I'll be ahead of those with 150k+ in debt. So if anyone thinks I'm an idiot for going to Drexel and deciding to pursue my desired practice area, after reading my above reasons, (and also realizing that I am a bit older than most of you guys and also worked in a field where I made six figures previously, but chose to pursue a legal education) please look in the mirror first. I'm not a 23 year old unmarried childless dude who can kiss the asses of partners and work 70 hours a week.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:37 am

tarp wrote:If the level of respect some of you folks give others on this forum is representative of your level of respect to clients as practicing attorneys, I am sure many of you will be hailed before the ethics board in due time. FYI, I am leaving Philly. My wife can't stand the area, and I can't justify raising children here. It's a fun city for single people though, as long as you avoid the criminal element. So don't worry, you guys won't be "competing" against my solo practice, which actually isn't a solo. I am starting a two person firm with a very sharp, motivated colleague. Even though you guys seem quite mean-spirited and seem to be invested in my failure, I'll come back in a year or so and let you guys know how it goes. Starting a firm is not for everybody, but someone with prior business experience who has the mentality for juggling multiple tasks, being a salesperson, etc. can make it work. Of course, anyone with massive student loan debt should probably try to find a job so they won't default on their student loans. I have ZERO debt since Drexel gave me a full ride. Sure, I could have paid full tuition at American, half-tuition at Wake Forest, full tuition at Villanova, or taken a 30k scholly to St. John's (with a higher cost of living than Philly) but then I'd be saddled with debt which would be a huge impediment to starting my own firm. As it stands I got almost a full ride to Drexel, will graduate with zero debt, will graduate cum laude (and this is with raising two kids at the same time as law school, managing a side real estate business and married to a spouse who is also a full time student). I can practice in the area I desire, which is criminal defense and immigration (which BigLaw does not do). Even if I only break even the first year, I'll be ahead of those with 150k+ in debt. So if anyone thinks I'm an idiot for going to Drexel and deciding to pursue my desired practice area, after reading my above reasons, (and also realizing that I am a bit older than most of you guys and also worked in a field where I made six figures previously, but chose to pursue a legal education) please look in the mirror first. I'm not a 23 year old unmarried childless dude who can kiss the asses of partners and work 70 hours a week.
tl;dr

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 am

Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:26 pm

I've never seen so much dick measuring in my life..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm

tarp wrote:If the level of respect some of you folks give others on this forum is representative of your level of respect to clients as practicing attorneys, I am sure many of you will be hailed before the ethics board in due time. FYI, I am leaving Philly. My wife can't stand the area, and I can't justify raising children here. It's a fun city for single people though, as long as you avoid the criminal element. So don't worry, you guys won't be "competing" against my solo practice, which actually isn't a solo. I am starting a two person firm with a very sharp, motivated colleague. Even though you guys seem quite mean-spirited and seem to be invested in my failure, I'll come back in a year or so and let you guys know how it goes. Starting a firm is not for everybody, but someone with prior business experience who has the mentality for juggling multiple tasks, being a salesperson, etc. can make it work. Of course, anyone with massive student loan debt should probably try to find a job so they won't default on their student loans. I have ZERO debt since Drexel gave me a full ride. Sure, I could have paid full tuition at American, half-tuition at Wake Forest, full tuition at Villanova, or taken a 30k scholly to St. John's (with a higher cost of living than Philly) but then I'd be saddled with debt which would be a huge impediment to starting my own firm. As it stands I got almost a full ride to Drexel, will graduate with zero debt, will graduate cum laude (and this is with raising two kids at the same time as law school, managing a side real estate business and married to a spouse who is also a full time student). I can practice in the area I desire, which is criminal defense and immigration (which BigLaw does not do). Even if I only break even the first year, I'll be ahead of those with 150k+ in debt. So if anyone thinks I'm an idiot for going to Drexel and deciding to pursue my desired practice area, after reading my above reasons, (and also realizing that I am a bit older than most of you guys and also worked in a field where I made six figures previously, but chose to pursue a legal education) please look in the mirror first. I'm not a 23 year old unmarried childless dude who can kiss the asses of partners and work 70 hours a week.
lol who's invested in your failure? No one wishes you any ill-will (at least I don't). You've just given some pretty terrible advice re: Philly schools. I actually agree that a full ride at Drexel beats sticker at Villanova, but TCR is to retake and reapply if at all possible--not settle for a barely-established school in a saturated market. Starting your own firm straight out of law school takes a lot of guts--kudos to you for taking the plunge--but without a substantive legal network, it's a gigantic risk, and most people aren't (justifiably) willing to take that chance.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:18 pm

HeavenWood, I wasn't really referring to you as having ill will - it's more beach_terror who is obviously the nastiest little man I've ever had the displeasure of seeing in an online forum. I find it incredibly telling that beach_terror thinks it's "sad" that I won't be graduating magna cum laude since I took one semester of law school (not an entire year) at GMU before re-starting at Drexel. Dude, once you learn Torts, Property, and Contracts, and study hard for them, it's not like you learn them any better the second time around. I got the same grades in those respective classes at GMU and Drexel. It just shows that he is devoid of any meaningful life experience. FYI, I have a wife, two kids, rental properties to manage, a single family home to maintain along with the associated problems (furnace breaking, basement flooding due to heavy rains, etc.), an aging father to take care of, and you think it's sad that I am probably only going to graduate cum laude. FYI, I'm borderline between cum laude and magna cum laude, a lot depends on this year's grades. Let me guess - you probably live in a rented apartment or student housing of some type, do not have any responsibilities other than law school, and probably don't even have a girlfriend. Given the vast difference between your non-school responsibilities and mine, damn, you should be graduating summa cum laude!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Your ego knows no bounds.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:what about penn state?
Penn State is only good if you want to do PI attorney work with little boys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 pm

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 pm

tarp wrote:Starting a firm is not for everybody, but someone with prior business experience who has the mentality for juggling multiple tasks, being a salesperson, etc. can make it work. Of course, anyone with massive student loan debt should probably try to find a job so they won't default on their student loans. I have ZERO debt since Drexel gave me a full ride. Sure, I could have paid full tuition at American, half-tuition at Wake Forest, full tuition at Villanova, or taken a 30k scholly to St. John's (with a higher cost of living than Philly) but then I'd be saddled with debt which would be a huge impediment to starting my own firm. As it stands I got almost a full ride to Drexel, will graduate with zero debt, will graduate cum laude (and this is with raising two kids at the same time as law school, managing a side real estate business and married to a spouse who is also a full time student).
No one thinks going to Drexel for free is necessarily a bad idea, especially if your plan is to start your own firm no matter what. What irritates us is that you seem to be pushing Drexel as a good option for students generally. Only a tiny proportion of prospective students will graduate with no debt and plan to start their own practice. Most prospective students have a general hope for some kind of employment, either with an already existing public interest organization, or with a law firm. For those students, getting a job from Drexel will be significantly harder than it is for students from schools with stronger local reputations and larger local alumni networks. It seems like you're trying to brush past this fact, and that does a disservice to students who have reason to be concerned about their postgraduation job prospects. We're all very happy that you're going to go on and be a blazing success, and most of us don't even care that you come across like a real tool sometimes, but if we feel like you're misrepresenting the utility of a Drexel degree to prospective students, we're absolutely going to fucking call you on it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tarp wrote:Starting a firm is not for everybody, but someone with prior business experience who has the mentality for juggling multiple tasks, being a salesperson, etc. can make it work. Of course, anyone with massive student loan debt should probably try to find a job so they won't default on their student loans. I have ZERO debt since Drexel gave me a full ride. Sure, I could have paid full tuition at American, half-tuition at Wake Forest, full tuition at Villanova, or taken a 30k scholly to St. John's (with a higher cost of living than Philly) but then I'd be saddled with debt which would be a huge impediment to starting my own firm. As it stands I got almost a full ride to Drexel, will graduate with zero debt, will graduate cum laude (and this is with raising two kids at the same time as law school, managing a side real estate business and married to a spouse who is also a full time student).
No one thinks going to Drexel for free is necessarily a bad idea, especially if your plan is to start your own firm no matter what. What irritates us is that you seem to be pushing Drexel as a good option for students generally. Only a tiny proportion of prospective students will graduate with no debt and plan to start their own practice. Most prospective students have a general hope for some kind of employment, either with an already existing public interest organization, or with a law firm. For those students, getting a job from Drexel will be significantly harder than it is for students from schools with stronger local reputations and larger local alumni networks. It seems like you're trying to brush past this fact, and that does a disservice to students who have reason to be concerned about their postgraduation job prospects. We're all very happy that you're going to go on and be a blazing success, and most of us don't even care that you come across like a real tool sometimes, but if we feel like you're misrepresenting the utility of a Drexel degree to prospective students, we're absolutely going to fucking call you on it.
Let's forget about tarp and go back to hating on Havertown.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:55 pm

HeavenWood wrote: Let's forget about tarp and go back to hating on Havertown.
NO DAMNIT, CLIFTON HEIGHTS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Fie on you and your tiny pink DelCo borough.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Fie on you and your tiny pink DelCo borough.
--ImageRemoved--

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 pm

You guys should check out places like Bensalem, Levittown, Hi-Nella, or Somerdale if you're hating on Havertown...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

tarp wrote:You guys should check out places like Bensalem, Levittown, Hi-Nella, or Somerdale if you're hating on Havertown...
The only one who's actually hating on Havertown is x (and I'm impressed you know Hi-Nella and Somerdale even exist). My Mommy grew up in Havertown. Granted, it was a bit of a different place then (eg, Jews actually lived there), but other than that, it hasn't really changed for the worse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Let me guess, x is from Lower Merion and feels he needs to look down on any town nearby that isn't filled with snooty pretentious fucks.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm

tarp wrote:Let me guess, x is from Lower Merion and feels he needs to look down on any town nearby that isn't filled with snooty pretentious fucks.
I'm actually from Lower Merion, so watch it with your blanket stereotypes.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:46 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
tarp wrote:Let me guess, x is from Lower Merion and feels he needs to look down on any town nearby that isn't filled with snooty pretentious fucks.
LM kids are normal from what I've encountered. Grounded in reality a bit more than other main liners. GA kids and Haverford kids are the ones that give the ML a bad rep.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm

beach_terror wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
LM kids are normal from what I've encountered. Grounded in reality a bit more than other main liners. GA kids and Haverford kids are the ones that give the ML a bad rep.
It's all relative. There are "haves" and "have-nots" most places you go. It all depends on where you fall on the local socioeconomic totem pole (eg, many of the "poor" kids from Narberth and Ardmore would be among the upper crust in places like Cherry Hill), and if you're at least a halfway decent parent, you make sure your children don't characterize themselves based on Mommy and Daddy's marginal tax bracket.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”