Philadelphia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Philadelphia

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:43 pm

JK910 wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Temple or Rutgers-Camden seem to be the viable options here. If you're a PA resident, Temple will be dirt cheap. If you're not, PA is a bitch and a half to get residency in and RU-C may be the better alternative to keep costs down. I believe they hand out in-state tuition from day one provided you show them a 12 month lease.
The problem with this is that you would have to actually live in NJ. I work in Camden and it's obviously a crap-hole of a city. The most convenient thing would be to live in Philly and commute over to Camden each day via mass transit, but that won't get you NJ residency. It's possible to live outside of Camden (in NJ) and commute in, but I'm not sure you would enjoy the mass transit on the NJ side of the river and driving your car down 130 or 38 would get real old, real fast.

I left RU-C off my list of schools. I'm still hoping to get some $$ from Temple.
You can easily commute into Camden from Collingswood or Cherry Hill West. Not a big deal, really. But all things being equal, Temple/Villanova are definitely better choices.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:56 pm

tarp wrote:Realistically I don't think the prospects are significantly better at any of the other area law schools... if Drexel offers you the best scholarship, go for it.
There is no way this can possibly be true. Come one, dude.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tarp wrote:Realistically I don't think the prospects are significantly better at any of the other area law schools... if Drexel offers you the best scholarship, go for it.
It's tarp. What do you expect? I asked a Drexel 3L how OCI went and he literally didn't know what "OCI" was.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:14 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
It's tarp. What do you expect? I asked a Drexel 3L how OCI went and he literally didn't know what "OCI" was.
Odds that tarp is a Drexel Ad Com?

JK910

New

Post by JK910 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Driving, yes.... I wouldn't take mass transit from the suburbs into Camden city (except the Riverline... forgot about that).
HeavenWood wrote:
JK910 wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Temple or Rutgers-Camden seem to be the viable options here. If you're a PA resident, Temple will be dirt cheap. If you're not, PA is a bitch and a half to get residency in and RU-C may be the better alternative to keep costs down. I believe they hand out in-state tuition from day one provided you show them a 12 month lease.
The problem with this is that you would have to actually live in NJ. I work in Camden and it's obviously a crap-hole of a city. The most convenient thing would be to live in Philly and commute over to Camden each day via mass transit, but that won't get you NJ residency. It's possible to live outside of Camden (in NJ) and commute in, but I'm not sure you would enjoy the mass transit on the NJ side of the river and driving your car down 130 or 38 would get real old, real fast.

I left RU-C off my list of schools. I'm still hoping to get some $$ from Temple.
You can easily commute into Camden from Collingswood or Cherry Hill West. Not a big deal, really. But all things being equal, Temple/Villanova are definitely better choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 pm

JK910 wrote:Driving, yes.... I wouldn't take mass transit from the suburbs into Camden city (except the Riverline... forgot about that).
How come? Slow?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

JK910 wrote:

I went to Rutgers-Camden last year. People live in the following places in NJ:
1) The Victor Lofts/the Dorms - both are in Camden, but it's not terrible; the school is also building fancy new dorms; easy commute on the PATCO to Philadelphia; the new dorms will be less than a block from PATCO, so it will be a very short walk at night and max safety for students. PATCO runs 24/7.
2) Haddonfield/Collingswood/Haddon Township - on or an easy commute to the PATCO which will get you to school or to Philadelphia without hassle. You don't need to drive or take Riverline (River Line = :lol: :lol: :lol:)

tl;dr: living in NJ isn't so bad as to totally forgo a school that will give you a scholarship and similar access to the Philadelphia market (+ access to NJ, including North NJ) without having to worry about the strict PA residency requirement. Go to the cheapest of the three schools if you want Philly because the chances of getting BigLaw and being able to pay back a huge amount of loans is very small.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 am

keg411 wrote:
JK910 wrote:

I went to Rutgers-Camden last year. People live in the following places in NJ:
1) The Victor Lofts/the Dorms - both are in Camden, but it's not terrible; the school is also building fancy new dorms; easy commute on the PATCO to Philadelphia; the new dorms will be less than a block from PATCO, so it will be a very short walk at night and max safety for students. PATCO runs 24/7.
2) Haddonfield/Collingswood/Haddon Township - on or an easy commute to the PATCO which will get you to school or to Philadelphia without hassle. You don't need to drive or take Riverline (River Line = :lol: :lol: :lol:)

tl;dr: living in NJ isn't so bad as to totally forgo a school that will give you a scholarship and similar access to the Philadelphia market (+ access to NJ, including North NJ) without having to worry about the strict PA residency requirement. Go to the cheapest of the three schools if you want Philly because the chances of getting BigLaw and being able to pay back a huge amount of loans is very small.
How the hell does one afford to live in Haddonfield as a law student... by living with one's parents?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 am

HeavenWood wrote:How the hell does one afford to live in Haddonfield as a law student... by living with one's parents?
There are rental houses/apartments all over that three-town area (plus Cherry Hill and Westmont; Westmont also has a PATCO station) on craigslist. I know because I was looking at them at one point. (I think the Haddonfield ones were close to/in the downtown area of Haddonfield and not where the super-nice houses are).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:25 am

keg411 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:How the hell does one afford to live in Haddonfield as a law student... by living with one's parents?
There are rental houses/apartments all over that three-town area (plus Cherry Hill and Westmont; Westmont also has a PATCO station) on craigslist. I know because I was looking at them at one point. (I think the Haddonfield ones were close to/in the downtown area of Haddonfield and not where the super-nice houses are).
I understand the other areas... Haddonfield is just very expensive by comparison.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:30 am

HeavenWood wrote:
keg411 wrote:
I understand the other areas... Haddonfield is just very expensive by comparison.
Like I said, I'm just going by the little that I looked off Craigslist before I transferred. The homes in all of those towns are generally very expensive, but for some reason, there are apartments and rentals mixed in as well and there are deals to be had.

Anyway, my main point was that there are places to live in NJ that make for an easy commute (with no-little driving) to both Rutgers and Philadelphia and the other poster was wrong to leave off Rutgers solely for the reason that "Camden sucks". He/she should take the best $$ deal he can get out of Rutgers/Temple/Villanova since he/she will probably not get biglaw or be able to pay off six-figure debt from any of these schools.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 am

What is all this garbage NJ talk doing in a thread about the wonderful city of Philadelphia.

Haddonfield is pretty cool though. I'm still bitter that I nailed my Archer interview and didn't get called back.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:What is all this garbage NJ talk doing in a thread about the wonderful city of Philadelphia.

Haddonfield is pretty cool though. I'm still bitter that I nailed my Archer interview and didn't get called back.
Don't worry,they were only hiring 3 goddamn SA's but calling back upwards of 25. GREAT ODDS (for me to poop on).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sherwood2014

New

Post by Sherwood2014 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tarp wrote:Of course Penn, being ivy league and highly ranked, would have the best opportunities in the city.
Outside of Big Law this is arguable.
Can you elaborate? Thanks.

BTW: On the part of this thread regarding travel. From Cherry Hill (by auto) to Philadelphia, on an average, the drive time is 40 minutes. There is also a $5 toll charge from NJ to PA. Does add up rather quickly.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
tarp wrote:Of course Penn, being ivy league and highly ranked, would have the best opportunities in the city.

BTW: On the part of this thread regarding travel. From Cherry Hill (by auto) to Philadelphia, on an average, the drive time is 40 minutes. There is also a $5 toll charge from NJ to PA. Does add up rather quickly.
That's why you don't drive, except to PATCO. And PATCO is pretty cheap.

Sherwood2014

New

Post by Sherwood2014 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 pm

keg411 wrote:
Sherwood2014 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

That's why you don't drive, except to PATCO. And PATCO is pretty cheap.
Thanks. How far from Penn does PATCO drop you off (either in terms of distance or time)? Any safety concerns at dusk?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:11 am

Sherwood2014 wrote: Thanks. How far from Penn does PATCO drop you off (either in terms of distance or time)? Any safety concerns at dusk?
Getting to Penn on PATCO is a pain. If you don't want to have to walk at all, you have to transfer first to the orange line, then the green or blue lines. But no, there are no safety concerns.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Sherwood2014 wrote: Thanks. How far from Penn does PATCO drop you off (either in terms of distance or time)? Any safety concerns at dusk?
Getting to Penn on PATCO is a pain. If you don't want to have to walk at all, you have to transfer first to the orange line, then the green or blue lines. But no, there are no safety concerns.
You actually only have to transfer once from PATCO, at 8th and Market to the MFL (Blue Line). It would be about 20 minutes total from Camden, at least during peak hours when you don't have to wait long.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 am

Wholigan wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
You actually only have to transfer once from PATCO, at 8th and Market to the MFL (Blue Line). It would be about 20 minutes total from Camden, at least during peak hours when you don't have to wait long.
You can get on PATCO at 8th and Market?

This is my mind being blown.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:10 pm

johnnyutah wrote:You can get on PATCO at 8th and Market?

You didn't know that? That's the first stop in Philadelphia.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Cherry Hill to Philadelphia is not 40 minutes. Even during rush hour, you can avoid most of the traffic by taking Route 70 after crossing the bridge. I could generally get from my house on the Main Line to Voorhees (which is just East of Cherry Hill) in about that time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:13 pm

keg411 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:You can get on PATCO at 8th and Market?

You didn't know that? That's the first stop in Philadelphia.
I've never actually taken the PATCO. The only times I've gone to Camden I've either ridden my bike or been driven by someone else.

Sherwood2014

New

Post by Sherwood2014 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks guys. SEPTA at 8th and Market is two blocks from the PATCO stop. SEPTA says it stops at UPenn ($2). Probably a great way to go on a snowy day (unless those two blocks are never-ending).
HeavenWood wrote:Cherry Hill to Philadelphia is not 40 minutes. Even during rush hour, you can avoid most of the traffic by taking Route 70 after crossing the bridge. I could generally get from my house on the Main Line to Voorhees (which is just East of Cherry Hill) in about that time.
I’ll give it a shot if I can find Route 70. At the moment I believe this is the route I take after the bridge. And yes, from Cherry Hill the map program claims it is a 20 minute trip. . . for me, not so much.

--ImageRemoved--

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:Thanks guys. SEPTA at 8th and Market is two blocks from the PATCO stop. SEPTA says it stops at UPenn ($2). Probably a great way to go on a snowy day (unless those two blocks are never-ending).
Where in Cherry Hill are you coming from? West? East?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:Thanks guys. SEPTA at 8th and Market is two blocks from the PATCO stop. SEPTA says it stops at UPenn ($2). Probably a great way to go on a snowy day (unless those two blocks are never-ending).
I'm sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but what is your situation? Are you considering living at home in Cherry Hill with parents and commuting to Penn? It's doable, but I wouldn't reccomend it if you can avoid it. If you're doing it just to save living costs, you might not save too much if you are willing to live with a roommate, and can get rid of your car completely and avoid gas/insurance/commute costs.

Also, the PATCO line stops at 8th & Market, not two blocks away. I believe that has been discussed already in this thread, but just want to be sure you know. The most logical way to get from PATCO to Penn is to take the MFL (underground subway line) from 8th & Market to 34th & Market, and then walk one block over to the law school. (MFL costs $1.55 per ride if you buy tokens). If it's a nice day and you have spare time, you can also take PATCO to the end of the line at 16th & Locust and walk to Penn, but that's about a 20 minute walk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”