School with best Wisconsin job prospects?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ljbreck

School with best Wisconsin job prospects?

Postby ljbreck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a 3.9 GPA and 166 LSAT from a top public school with strong recs. I ultimately want to work in either Madison or Milwaukee. I'm leaning towards UWisconsin as my top choice but want to know if another school would be better for finding work in those cities. Thanks!

tennisking88

Re: School with best Wisconsin job prospects?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Other than Chicago/Northwestern (which you should probably throw in apps for, just in case), UW would be the place for you. UMN would be next choice. Try to get a scholly from UW.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm

+1. Barring Chi/NU/Mich admission Wisconsin will be your best choice. A nice perk is that Wisco grads don't have to take the bar if they stay in Wisconsin.

Also, have you considered retaking the LSAT? A few more points and you could be fairly secure at Michigan.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 pm

do you have ties to wisconsin? if so, any t14 will do....
You can consider Ed to UVA.

ljbreck

Postby ljbreck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Original poster here. Thanks for responding! My main concern about going too far beyond the Midwest is just that statistically speaking few students from most of the non-Midwest schools, including non-Midwestern T-14 schools, end up breaking into the Wisconsin market.

Do you think my prospects at getting a good job in Wisconsin would be better by going to the flagship state school or by trying for a higher ranked private school (that I would have less of a chance of getting money from)?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Yale.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:49 pm

ljbreck wrote:Original poster here. Thanks for responding! My main concern about going too far beyond the Midwest is just that statistically speaking few students from most of the non-Midwest schools, including non-Midwestern T-14 schools, end up breaking into the Wisconsin market.

I'd bet this is more due to self-selection (most people attending a T14 are not from Wisconsin, and thus not looking for a job in Wisconsin) than difficulty in returning to the market.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

If you want to work in Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin, then the University of Wisconsin should be your top choice since you get low in-state tuition & don't have to sit for the Wisconsin state bar exam.

P.S. You should get a scholarship from Wisconsin based on your numbers. Tuition free & no bar exam required should alleviate a lot of stress during your law school years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”