Choosing a school for corprorate law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gbalfo13
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:10 am

Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Gbalfo13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

I'm currently in pre law classes at the University of Cincinnati and plan on going into corporate law after completing pre law classes and getting a business degree here.

My question is this: what are some good law schools that specialize in corporate law,(preferably in the Midwest or west coast) but also in general. There is a law school fair I am unable to make because of classes and my advisor has said she will pick up some info on schools while she is down there and would love to know some.

Side question: what are good classe that get you ready for corporate law? I have read that math and economics classes are ideal but I'm curious as to what other classes may be useful.

Thank you in advance.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby kahechsof » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 am

Yale!

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am

Don't pick a school based on any kind of specialty ranking. The best schools to prepare you for a career in corporate law are the schools that give you the best chance of actually getting a career in corporate law, so just go to the best school you can get into. And if it's not at least a T1 (and that's being generous), don't go at all.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby kahechsof » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31 am

Kilpatrick wrote:And if it's not at least a T1 (and that's being generous), don't go at all.


I would say not only the Top 1 school. Many people think it is worth going to any of the Top 14 and also Georgetown.

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby PurplePirate » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am

kahechsof wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:And if it's not at least a T1 (and that's being generous), don't go at all.


I would say not only the Top 1 school. Many people think it is worth going to any of the Top 14 and also Georgetown.


Subtle Georgetown trolling.

Gbalfo13
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Gbalfo13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 am

Hmm so when choosing a law school, I should be looking at more things like there job placement and prestige in a sense?

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby PurplePirate » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:46 am

Gbalfo13 wrote:Hmm so when choosing a law school, I should be looking at more things like there job placement and prestige in a sense?


Some will argue that those are the ONLY characteristics for choosing a law school.

Gbalfo13
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Gbalfo13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 am

Alright, good to know. How bout some top school names in southern California or Midwest

Ones that pop into my head are Ohio state? Chicago in Midwest... And university of California? Lol

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby top30man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

Ones that pop into my head are Ohio state? Chicago in Midwest... And university of California? Lol

Ohio State=placement into one of the most overcrowded markets. For the Midwest: Chicago, Northwestern, WUSTL, ND etc.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Gbalfo13 wrote:Alright, good to know. How bout some top school names in southern California or Midwest

Ones that pop into my head are Ohio state? Chicago in Midwest... And university of California? Lol

Holy shit someone who hasn't seen the USNWR rankings.

Gbalfo13
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Gbalfo13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Grizz wrote:
Gbalfo13 wrote:Alright, good to know. How bout some top school names in southern California or Midwest

Ones that pop into my head are Ohio state? Chicago in Midwest... And university of California? Lol

Holy shit someone who hasn't seen the USNWR rankings.



Lol nope haven't seen em (probably will after this). I'm looking to get my mind shaped! Haha and thanks above for those names!

User avatar
hookem7
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby hookem7 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 pm

^ Bro, you've got a lot of work to do

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Since this part hasn't been addressed, take some Econ because it's a useful class, but other than that just pad your GPA because law schools don't care what you took.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby Bronte » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Grizz wrote:
Gbalfo13 wrote:Alright, good to know. How bout some top school names in southern California or Midwest

Ones that pop into my head are Ohio state? Chicago in Midwest... And university of California? Lol

Holy shit someone who hasn't seen the USNWR rankings.


That's a first for me.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Since they're hidden on the front page of TLS, I'll save you the trouble. ;)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Choosing a school for corprorate law

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 am

TylerM wrote:Since they're hidden on the front page of TLS, I'll save you the trouble. ;)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Ah yes. I remember my first time looking at the rankings, and the crushing realization of my prospects as I kept going further and further down the list...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Exabot [Bot], Specter1389, SweetTort and 6 guests