Establishing Student Residency in Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justonemoregame

Silver

Establishing Student Residency in Texas

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Has anyone done this? On UT's website, they list 2 requirements: 1) live there for 12 consecutive months and 2) establish/maintain domicile for 12 months (ownership of real residential property).

Does this generally work or are there other significant obstacles for gaining in-state tuition for 2L/3L?

I couldn't access a particular form on their site w/o a UT eid account. tfyh

SA1928

Bronze

Re: Establishing Student Residency in Texas

Post by SA1928 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 pm

I think typically you have to establish residency prior to starting school. So you would have to move down there, live/work for a year, and then start school. I could be mistaken, but a few people I know who attend UT did it this way, and it worked. I know in some other states, in order to get in-state tuition, you're original purpose for moving to the state cannot be to attend school. Texas might be different though.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah I don't think you will ever get instate tuition unless you get it for 1L.

fsuitw

New

Post by fsuitw » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:44 pm

It looks like UT actually has pretty favorable residency laws. Most states require 12 months of residence for purposes other than education. Texas requires the 12 months, but doesn't mention anything about education. So it's living int he state for 12months and establishing domicile which is defined under these requirements...

"To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
Own and operate a business in Texas
Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas"

It looks promising fro that information.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm a Texas undergrad and from what I hear (I'm an in-stater, hopefully it will help my application) we're pretty lenient on establishing Texas residency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”