Initial list- what should I cut or add?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jediknight2424

Initial list- what should I cut or add?

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:27 am

I have a 3.04 and a 173 LSAT. My academic record is kind of ugly with 7 F's and 7 W's, but strong upward trend. No post-undergrad work experience and decent softs.

I'm paranoid about not getting in to a great law school with my record so I'll likely be applying to 20+ schools. I want to attend the highest ranking school I can and don't mind paying sticker. I don't being the mid-west but if I prefer to be in the DC/Philadelphia/NYC area.

I starred the schools that gave me fee-waivers (or are free)--- let me know which schools to add/cut. I'd like to save a little time and money on apps. Thanks!

Top 14 - Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan, Virginia* (early decision), Northwestern*

Tier 1 - UCLA*, GW, Vanderbilt*, Washington- St Louis*, BU, Boston College, Minnesota*, Notre Dame, Indiana- Bloomington, Iowa*, Illinois*, William & Mary*, Emory, North Carolina, Fordham, Washington and Lee*, Alabama*, Georgia*, Wake Forest*, George Mason, American, Maryland, Cardozo – Yeshiva*

Tier 2- Seton Hall*, Northeastern*, Rutgers- Camden, Rutgers- Newark, Brooklyn*, Temple*, Pittsburgh*, Richmond*

omninode

Re: Initial list- what should I cut or add?

Postby omninode » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:48 am

With a 173 you probably don't need to worry about Tier 2.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:49 am

Don't even bother with second tier. You will definately be accepted to most of T1, and you just gotta hope for T14

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:11 am

Is the 3.04 GPA from LSAC or as calculated by your undergraduate school ? If you have seven (7) "Fs" in college, then it would be quite difficult on the semester system to raise your cumulative GPA to 3.04 unless you were allowed to retake the failed classes for an averaged grade. If so, LSAC will recalculate your GPA with all seven "Fs" included.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 am

Michigan is unlikely as is Northwestern (but NU issued a fee waiver to you). Same for UCLA.

With 7 "Fs" & 7 "Ws", you will need to apply to a wide range of law schools even with a 173, in my opinion. It is hard to assess any further because the reason for your poor academic record is not clear & because it is not clear whether your LSAC GPA is 3.04 or will be recalulated to a lower number.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:41 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Michigan is unlikely as is Northwestern (but NU issued a fee waiver to you). Same for UCLA.

With 7 "Fs" & 7 "Ws", you will need to apply to a wide range of law schools even with a 173, in my opinion. It is hard to assess any further because the reason for your poor academic record is not clear & because it is not clear whether your LSAC GPA is 3.04 or will be recalulated to a lower number.

I don't know about this. I think if your addendum is a compelling explanation for all those Fs/Ws, then you can safely blanket 10-25 or 30. Someone will let you in with a 173 trust me. No need to go below 35 IMO, unless you want $.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:43 am

tennisking88: You have misread my post. Essentially we agree. But the addendum explanation is quite important. Plus, you may be assuming that the 3.04 is OP's LSAC GPA, which is not clear.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:47 am

CanadianWolf wrote:tennisking88: You have misread my post. Essentially we agree. But the addendum explanation is quite important. Plus, you may be assuming that the 3.04 is OP's LSAC GPA, which is not clear.

3.04 is already below most of T1 25%. Even if it dropped to 2.7 it wouldn't matter, he'd have to write a kickass addendum regardless. He's in at IUB at the very least. Maybe even Washu.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:53 am

According to lawschoolnumbers.com OP has a shot at Georgetown & Cornell with a 3.04 GPA. The addendum explanation, however, will be important.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:02 am

3.04 is my lsac. My institution gpa is 3.4 now. I took max credits the past two semesters and got nearly all A's (1 B+).

Part of the reason for my poor academic record is that I worked a lot of hours as a tutor and/or law clerk to pay for school. I was also heavily involved in Model UN (running two high school conferences attended each by 500+ students). Needless to say, I took on too much and I didn't make academics a priority. I lost my scholarship and dug myself into a deeper hole because I had to work more hours. Truthfully, my parents helped me through this. They took out more loans and eased my financial burden. I was able to focus on my school work.

I'm not sure what the best way to frame this is but I can definitely say that I'm a different person now. I have a strong academic work ethic and I can better prioritize.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 am

With a 173 shouldn't you be cutting the T2 out entirely and adding everything from CCN down? I don't know how splitters work really, but that's a top 1% LSAT score. You're going to beat everyone's 75% outside of the T6 I think?

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:54 am

You may find this helpful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Should I not bother with Michigan?

Samara-- Thanks for the thread-- I actually looked at it earlier. If you didn't list a "gpa floor" as soft, should I assume its hard and consider not applying there?

Also, I'd like apply to a few Tier-Twos to ease my mind. I'm a New Jersey resident... I wish Rutgers would give me waivers. I'd like to spend that money on T1's instead.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:48 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Should I not bother with Michigan?

Samara-- Thanks for the thread-- I actually looked at it earlier. If you didn't list a "gpa floor" as soft, should I assume its hard and consider not applying there?

Also, I'd like apply to a few Tier-Twos to ease my mind. I'm a New Jersey resident... I wish Rutgers would give me waivers. I'd like to spend that money on T1's instead.

You should definitely apply to Michigan, I've never heard anything but good of it? Dean Z waitlists HYSCCN-obvious people, but I have no idea how you'd be handled. Don't treat any of these lists of previous results as gospel, let alone the splitter ones (which have a smaller sample size). Michigan's a great school, if you want to go, you should apply.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:08 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Should I not bother with Michigan?

Okay, I didn't catch this before, so I'm going to tell you now: don't bother applying to any other schools until you hear back from UVa. Your chances of getting UVa via ED are very high (assuming you are accurately assessing your softs) and you will get a decision in < 15 days. It's a waste to spend lots of money on apps when you're probably just going to be withdrawing them soon. (and write the GPA addendum) To answer the other questions...

I have very similar numbers and I'm throwing an app to Michigan. I didn't write soft GPA floor there because it was already green and had other comments. Your chances there are not great, but they aren't zero either. That said, if you don't get UVa ED, you aren't getting Michigan so it may be a waste.

Do not bother with T2 schools. You'll get in with money at WUSTL, W&M, GWU, W&L and others. I wouldn't bother with BU/BC/UNC on down. If you're really paranoid, I guess you could send an app to George Mason, American and Cardozo.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks Samara. I'll definitely hold off on apps until I get a response from Virginia (I was actually just thinking about how to approach this). I might still throw applications to some T2's and BU/BC but I'll prioritize getting the others done. Ahduth, I'll also give Michigan a shot even if it is a longshot.

If anyone else has anyone else has any thoughts, it would be much appreciated.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”