BU full ride or t14 sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: BU full ride or t14 sticker?

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 pm

col.faith wrote: I will stop trading numbers with you -- that's unfair, I did it for 4 years in my undergrad =)
So you admit you have no practical knowledge on the issue then? :wink:

FWIW, it's unfair to talk about how to take risks and plan a career because I am 3 for 3 =)

All joking aside, it's a personal decision, and there is not fast rule. Just be more informed with the totality of the decision and don't get scared off by 150k debt. The average 3BR single family home cost 500k-1M in a major market.

Cornellanister

New

Post by Cornellanister » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
col.faith wrote: I will stop trading numbers with you -- that's unfair, I did it for 4 years in my undergrad =)
So you admit you have no practical knowledge on the issue then? :wink:

FWIW, it's unfair to talk about how to take risks and plan a career because I am 3 for 3 =)

All joking aside, it's a personal decision, and there is not fast rule. Just be more informed with the totality of the decision and don't get scared off by 150k debt. The average 3BR single family home cost 500k-1M in a major market.
:shock:

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 pm

col.faith wrote:
r6_philly wrote:But the following would reduce the difference.

1L Summer: %*31000 (sa) + 1L summer in-house*10000 (assuming about 30/hr) + %*funded PI (almost everyone gets funded here for 4-5000)

2L summer: %*31000 (sa) + %*10000 (in house) + %*funded PI

If you work in biglaw for more than 5 years. Or if you lateral out to midlaw/smalllaw that pay 60-100.

My point is the difference is not the scholarship amount. FWIW I probably wouldn't pick GULC over BU full, but there are other T14s out there.
I will stop trading numbers with you -- that's unfair, I did it for 4 years in my undergrad =)

The truth is, I would go to Harvard sticker over BU full, because I personally would put so much more value on the name, and the people I would get to know. But OP said T14, which included anywhere from Yale to GULC(or maybe Cornell should be used as the new lower boundary now after the new ranking lol?) And I wouldn't recommend him doing anything like an NPV analysis or IRR analysis because that's what you use when you want to purchase a company, not a law degree. But a full scholarship does reduce your risk to an almost absolute minimum, and for most of us, those who are not willing to take great risks, this would be very desirable.

Other T14s does shrink the difference, and make the situation more difficult to gauge by naked eye, but if OP has certain fetish for the "T14", then just go. If you can get a full-ride at BU, chances are, you can probably get some money at some of the lower T14s, and it would make your decision easier in that respect.
did i make it up, or did op say lower t14? that's what i've been assuming this whole time.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm

BU.

d00d

New

Post by d00d » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 am

spleenworship wrote:BU.
Yeah no question. The legal market is a mess right now, and BU will still put you in a good spot for working in Boston with significantly less debt than Cornell. All of the regional employers interview there, and everyone except the very bottom of the class seems to do alright. It will take a bit of hustling if you are outside the top third though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”