TTT in the market I would like to work in, or faraway T1?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mattviphky

TTT in the market I would like to work in, or faraway T1?

Postby mattviphky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I am not set on working in St. Louis...although I would like to. It is cheap, close to family, and i honestly like the town. Based on an lsn search, someone with my numbers can reasonably expect a large scholarship to SLU. But I could also get a competitive scholarship from some T1 schools. This early, i obviously have no offers yet, so I'm just basing this all on lsn. But my question is, which would be the way to go? I like SLU, it's in a market I would enjoy...but I would like to work in St. Louis because i want to, not because I have to. Maybe its just the vanity of a T1, but I would prefer to go to one of these schools and come back and look for a job. But what would partners think about this? Would they look at my school and ask why i went to school X when I knew I wanted St. Louis all along? I searched Bryan Cave profiles, and it looks like a lot of SLU associates have been hired over the past 5 years...well not A LOT, but a solid amount. Before anyone asks, WUSTL is out with a 164 lsat. Anyone experiencing this same situation?

zanda

Re: TTT in the market I would like to work in, or faraway T1?

Postby zanda » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm

A T1 that is lower than WUSTL (which you say is unrealistic) will not give you an advantage in a far-away market relative to a TTT in that market.

Is retake out of the question?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks, I thought so, and St. Louis seems especially insular. But unfortunately, I cannot retake. I really do like SLU...i was just curious.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:12 pm

What do you want to do, and would you give up St. Louis to be able to do it?

It's great to be in the city you want to be in. It's not great to be unemployed in the city you want to be in.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm

St. Louis is on my short list of great places to live. So enjoy it in law school as well as after you graduate. I agree with the above. Do SLU.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 pm

i answered my own question, i think

Return to “Choosing a Law School”