Does it matter? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gatorlaw

Bronze

Does it matter?

Post by gatorlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 pm

If all you want is to go solo as soon as it is a viable option, does it matter where your degree is from? I understand experience is needed prior to going solo, so taking all of these factors into account...does the name on your degree matter? And if so, just how much?

PinkCow

Silver

Re: Does it matter?

Post by PinkCow » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm

It depends? Say you want to start a firm in North Dakota. It won't be very difficult to attract clients if you've got a degree from UND, considering that's the only LS there. Now, say you want to do the same thing, but are looking at setting up shop in California with a degree from McGeorge, I predict trouble.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

What about in Miami with a degree from UMiami? Or UF or FSU, for that matter? I'm not considering attending the TTTT that are in South Florida.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 pm

It really depends on the sort of law you intend to practice or rather, who your intended client base is. It will matter (I gather) if your idea is to create a boutique doing, say, international business tax opinions. You need gobs of credibility with the major firms that might send you work. Standard Main Street fare, though, no client is likely to care much.

Around here, getting routine insurance defense work doesn't depend on your school but fights between insurance companies (and the like) usually mean hiring more prominent firms and those firms do care. Naturally, the money is in the latter type of case.

I don't know if it's still true but a few years ago, the most valuable credential a small commercial firm could have was a Martindale A/V rating. That rating was worth its weight in commerical referrals by major out-of-town firms. It seems to me that the value of the ratings system declined once Martindale began charging to display one's rating, making it like any other advertising gimmick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”