Notre Dame at sticker or Michigan State full-ride? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeerMaker

Bronze

Notre Dame at sticker or Michigan State full-ride?

Post by BeerMaker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:16 pm

What would you do? Midwest resident.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Notre Dame at sticker or Michigan State full-ride?

Post by buckilaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Make a poll. Also, what are your goals / plans?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm

ND. Too big a difference.

afitouri

New

Post by afitouri » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Go to Notre Dame if you want to work in law.

Go to Michigan State if you'd prefer to be unemployed.

I have a few friends who went to Lewis & Clark, which is ranked 50 spots ahead of Mich st, and they're still unemployed.

The debt from Notre Dame will be a burden, true. But so will life without a job.

And I'm serious. I don't believe you will find employment with your degree if you attend school at Michigan State. Not for a couple years at least, especially with the legal industry how it is.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:58 pm

What are your scholarship restrictions at MSU? Probably not worth it at all. ND.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm

buckilaw wrote:Make a poll. Also, what are your goals / plans? Notre Dame
On further reflection the above posters are correct. Your job prospects out of Michigan State will be so dismal that there is not much need for discussion.

BUT

If the best thing you are looking at is ND at sticker, retake.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Notre Dame at sticker is a REALLY bad idea. So is Michigan State for free.

I hope you have a rich uncle that's going to pay off your loan debts at Notre Dame.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Neither; retake.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Grizz wrote:Neither; retake.
+1

OP, ND at sticker means you have to get biglaw to pay back your debt. Your chances of getting one of those jobs is low, so I would not go.

Michigan State could be an option if you had a job lined up, otherwise it's still probably not worth it in this economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:31 pm

minnbills wrote: Michigan State could be an option if you had a job lined up, otherwise it's still probably not worth it in this economy.
You're better off moving to California and studying/passing the bar on your own than going to Michigan State. I mentioned it before, but I have a friend that went there and finished top 15%, and all he could get after one year of job searching was a clerkship interview for some random judge in rural Minnesota. He's now doing document review part-time in Milwaukee making slightly more than he made during his part-time college job as a cashier. He got a 75% scholarship there, and even still, he'll never be able to pay off the debt he incurred from cost-of-living plus 25% tuition.

Also, if you read posts about Notre Dame (or any other school in its range) here, you'll realize that you need to finish at least in the top quarter of your class to have any options at all, much less have something guaranteed. Paying sticker there is like playing Russian Roulette with your future, except four of the six chambers of the gun are loaded.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 pm

If youre able to get into ND then you should probably be able to get some decent $ from IUB, assuming you want to stay in the midwest. Just avoid schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Maybe look to some of the more southern midwest schools like those in Kentucky and Missouri. Just don't pay anything close to sticker for them.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 pm

pacers3177 wrote:If youre able to get into ND then you should probably be able to get some decent $ from IUB, assuming you want to stay in the midwest. Just avoid schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Maybe look to some of the more southern midwest schools like those in Kentucky and Missouri. Just don't pay anything close to sticker for them.
Why is that?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:38 pm

pacers3177 wrote:If youre able to get into ND then you should probably be able to get some decent $ from IUB, assuming you want to stay in the midwest. Just avoid schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Maybe look to some of the more southern midwest schools like those in Kentucky and Missouri. Just don't pay anything close to sticker for them.
Lawl IUB places like fucking Marquette.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Truth. Placement is one of the farthest off rank in the t30.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Grizz wrote:
They also give out schollys like their students are trick-or-treaters. Its not a great option, but if youre trying to stay in the midwest and can get some serious money from them then its not that bad of an option. I think they give full rides to any in-state student who gets over a 165. Not sure how tough they are on stips though.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:58 pm

pacers3177 wrote:If youre able to get into ND then you should probably be able to get some decent $ from IUB, assuming you want to stay in the midwest Indiana. Just avoid schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Maybe look to some of the more southern midwest schools like those in Kentucky and Missouri. Just don't pay anything close to sticker for them.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 pm

pacers3177 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
They also give out schollys like their students are trick-or-treaters. Its not a great option, but if youre trying to stay in the midwest Indiana and can get some serious money from them then its not that bad of an option. I think they give full rides to any in-state student who gets over a 165. Not sure how tough they are on stips though.

JRD

New

Post by JRD » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm

MSU OCI was brutal this year from my anecdotal findings (I went there last year and transferred out). Some people have been able to find offers at Michigan firms, but most people haven't found jobs through OCI and a vast majority of people haven't found jobs at all. Their scholarships are generous, but if you can't find a job it's not really worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”