164, 3.02

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mattviphky

164, 3.02

Postby mattviphky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

I kinda know what I need to do, but I just wanted to get some opinions. I was really hoping for a 168+, in fact I was fairly confident that this is what I got, especially after I heard about the curve. With this score, I was hoping for WUSTL, UIUC, ND, and IUB as a safety. But as you can see from the title of this thread, I ended up with a 164. This was kinda deflating because it completely changes my outlook on schools. I still ED'd ND, it's a very outside shot, I know. But I was hoping to get some thoughts on other schools. I have been liking Tulane throughout this process, but I really don't know much about it, I plan on visiting NO in November when I'm down visiting family in Louisiana. Wustl is out, IUB probably is too, as I wouldn't go there without those huge schollys they were handing out, and I have no idea how UIUC will handle this cycle, but I imagine a 164 won't be enough to compensate for my GPA. Sooooo, what do you guys think? I am pretty mobile for schools and career, although I really like St. Louis. Whenever I imagined myself going to some far off law school, I always saw myself going back to St. Louis eventually...I just love the town and it is close to my family. So SLU looks like a good option, even though it is regional, it is in region that I would like to live in. But I got into SLU last year, I guess my grievance is that even though I studied for a long time, it feels like I got no where at all. Well, based on lsn and tls, my numbers got pretty hefty schollys, which is cool. I don't know, I guess I'm just rambling. I'm also very interested in a clerkship....but that is looking bleak now as well. But what do you think of my schools, or do you have a school you would like to mention?

mattviphky

Re: 164, 3.02

Postby mattviphky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 am

fwi, i have decent softs, military and fire fighter

jaydee2013

Postby jaydee2013 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Who knows what will happen with UIUC, so that is worth a shot just for the comparative unpredictability. WUSTL and ND are surely out of reach, even with an ED app. If you were applying only 2-3 years ago to Indiana, you may have just squeaked in, but the school has lately been making a concerted effort to boost their numbers... I predict you'll be a deny, or if you are an admit, certainly an admit without a scholarship. I'd predict you probably get into Tulane, with chances at a decent scholarship.

Iowa/Ohio/Wisconsin are almost in the out-of-reach category, but it isn't out of the realm of all possibility to get into one of those schools. Definitely apply as early as possible to maximize your chances at these schools. I only mention these schools because you said you are pretty mobile and seem to have ties in the midwest already... and it isn't impossible for you to get a job in St Louis by going to any one of those three schools with your apparent ties. Still, going to SLU specifically (and with large scholarship) would probably be better in the long-run if you want to end up in St Louis, than going to an Iowa/Ohio/Wisconsin and possibly being in the 75% of the class that isn't in the top 25% and trying to get to St Louis.

While your chances at biglaw are higher by going to these more "elite" schools than if you went to SLU, it's not like these schools are placing more than half their class in six-figure jobs... Indiana, ND, WUSTL, and UIUC included. Do you want to go into biglaw, or not? If you don't, then even more reason to go where the $$ is... especially if that school happens to be in a city where would like to practice.

FWIW, your "sweet spot" is probably in schools ranked 40-60. If you blanket that tier, you'll probably have quite a few options across the country from which to choose. Apply to schools ranked lower than that knowing that you would get substantial $$, if particularly like the city (as in SLU's case), or have an attachment to a particular program at a given school (i.e., healthcare law at SLU?). Still, keep in mind that your chances at biglaw at any school ranked lower than 40 isn't particularly strong (minus Cardozo and SMU, which do outperform the other schools in their peer group), so again I would be balancing your $$ offers and location more than any other criteria including rank.

Wart

Postby Wart » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 pm

You're definitely on the right track with SLU. You'll basically have to figure out what areas you want to end up working in and focus on the secondary schools in those locations. Not sure if you like Dallas but I've heard good things about SMU and apparently their grads do really well placement-wise there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”