What is the best law school in the Midwest?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
splitster1221

What is the best law school in the Midwest?

Postby splitster1221 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 am

Outside of the T14, what is the best midwestern law school? I know this is a vague question, but I guess I mean this to pertain to which is the best for job prospects in general. I have heard good, and not so good things, about places like WUSTL, Illinois, ND, etc., so if one were to have to decide on a midwest school outside of the T14, what would your choice be?

TLS-troll

Re: What is the best law school in the Midwest?

Postby TLS-troll » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:48 am

in terms of "pure rankings" it would be WUSTL. but for jobs Illinois, Minnesota, WUSTL, Indiana-bloomington are pretty close. personally I would be happy at any of those schools. If your grades are good at any of those schools, your job outlook should be fairly decent

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 am

Well we can be sure that it's one of WUSTL, IU-B, UIUC, Minnesota and ND. IU-B apparently has incredibly awful placement stats despite its ranking because it doesn't have a primary market. UIUC made up its medians so its gonna be in trouble. A Minnesota student on these forums said that the school has no portability outside of Minnesota, and that that means that top 5%/LR people who should be going to biglaw NY are instead competing with median students for the small amount of MN jobs, but that's just one anonymous guy so no way to know how true that is. That leaves WUSTL (which people on the forum have also said is having trouble placing) and ND (which I know nothing about)... and maybe Minnesota if you're skeptical of that guy. Not the prettiest situation but that's what happens when you have a lack of major markets and not much prestige (being out of T14).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:59 am

Outside of the T14, this depends entirely on where in the Midwest you want to practice. The answer will be different if you want to be in Chicago than if you want to be in, say, St. Louis or Minneapolis. First, decide which market you want. Then look at which schools feed into that market.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:24 am

WUSTL

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:43 am

WUSTL/ND

Return to “Choosing a Law School”