South Carolina v. Georgia v. Other Southern Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scarolinalaw

South Carolina v. Georgia v. Other Southern Schools

Postby scarolinalaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 pm

I've been a lurker on this site for a while, and have received some good information, but had a question about any input on where to attend. Having just received my LSAT scores, I have to make a difficult decision about what would be a good choice for school. I am from South Carolina, and go to a respected private school in South Carolina. Additionally, I most likely want to practice in South Carolina, as that is where I have most of my connections, but I also have some aspiration to go to a legal market such as Charlotte or Atlanta.

With all that said, I have a 164 LSAT and a 3.47 GPA. Therefore, I know I most likely can get into South Carolina Law, possibly with some money. However, I am wondering whether or not it would be beneficial to go to a higher ranked school such as Georgia or Wake Forest or Alabama. I'm planning to retake the LSAT again in December, as I didn't put in near enough studying the first time.

So, that's a lot of words, but basically I'm just looking for any insight or thoughts about this. Thanks for any help.

annyong

Re: South Carolina v. Georgia v. Other Southern Schools

Postby annyong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

scarolinalaw wrote:I've been a lurker on this site for a while, and have received some good information, but had a question about any input on where to attend. Having just received my LSAT scores, I have to make a difficult decision about what would be a good choice for school. I am from South Carolina, and go to a respected private school in South Carolina. Additionally, I most likely want to practice in South Carolina, as that is where I have most of my connections, but I also have some aspiration to go to a legal market such as Charlotte or Atlanta.

With all that said, I have a 164 LSAT and a 3.47 GPA. Therefore, I know I most likely can get into South Carolina Law, possibly with some money. However, I am wondering whether or not it would be beneficial to go to a higher ranked school such as Georgia or Wake Forest or Alabama. I'm planning to retake the LSAT again in December, as I didn't put in near enough studying the first time.

So, that's a lot of words, but basically I'm just looking for any insight or thoughts about this. Thanks for any help.

Sent you a PM :)

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Going to a higher ranked school probably won't give you a better chance of getting a job in SC. However, they will give you a better chance of getting a job at all. The legal market, especially in small markets like SC where USC is a TTT but the best school in the state, is shit right now. From USC law, all 10 open jobs at respectable firms will be open to you, but if you're 12th (or lower) in your class then you're in pretty bad shape.

From a more reputable school like Bama or UGA, you could still come back and nag these jobs if you have the grades (although your chances might be slightly diminished), but you also have much more opportunity open up in other markets.

For an idea of how grads from these schools are doing, check our law school transparency.

--LinkRemoved--

Compare this to --LinkRemoved--
and --LinkRemoved--

These schools aren't spectacular, but they're better than SC.

If you really want to break into SC, then a better option would be to retake the LSAT and try to nab Vandy (or, even better, UVA / Duke).

jbaugh

Postby jbaugh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

UNC. IF you do well there, can get into BigLaw in Charlotte.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”