BC vs BU ED

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kerrigaa

BC vs BU ED

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm

I posted this in What are my chances forum also, but I'm deciding between EDing to BU or Applying regular decision to both BC and BU and some other schools. Going back to the Boston area and money are my two main concerns, but I also think I'm leaning towards BC. I don't think I'd get a full tuition scholarship at BC whereas I may have a shot at BU's ED. Numbers are 4.0/168, any help is appreciated. Thanks

Blindmelon

Re: BC vs BU ED

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:02 pm

kerrigaa wrote:I posted this in What are my chances forum also, but I'm deciding between EDing to BU or Applying regular decision to both BC and BU and some other schools. Going back to the Boston area and money are my two main concerns, but I also think I'm leaning towards BC. I don't think I'd get a full tuition scholarship at BC whereas I may have a shot at BU's ED. Numbers are 4.0/168, any help is appreciated. Thanks

Free BU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BC w/ the 20k or so they may give you. Between the two, the #1 consideration is cost. With your numbers, its a possibility.

You may also want to look at UVA - you have a good/decent shot at getting in and it places well in Boston... depends on how risk adverse you are.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:42 pm

I would apply regular to both schools and see what they come back with. You should get a good amount of money from both schools. If you want Boston, BC places better than BU, but not by enough to justify a significant scholarship. Until you know the financial aid packages, just apply to both regular decision and see what they come back with financially.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:13 pm

That's exactly my problem. I think I want to go to BC more, but I don't know if it justifies giving up a shot at full tuition at BU (supposing I get accepted ED). If I were to regular decision to both, I feel that I wouldn't get near full tuition from either or do you think that's a possibility?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 pm

I'd throw in the ED application at BU. I think this is a no brainer. If they accept you, you have a free ride to a peer school of BC, which is objectively a better decision. If they don't accept you ED, you are in no worse shape than before and are free to field any offer BC will give you.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I'd throw in the ED application at BU. I think this is a no brainer. If they accept you, you have a free ride to a peer school of BC, which is objectively a better decision. If they don't accept you ED, you are in no worse shape than before and are free to field any offer BC will give you.

Yea, this is a duh. If you want to be at BU or BC, throw an ED app to BU.... if you don't get the full-ride, then try to leverage whatever you get between them and go to the cheaper.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 pm

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm just indecisive 'cause I'm hearing I could have a good chance at some t14, which I will apply to also. I don't know what factors would sway my decision towards certain schools outside of money and being in Boston though. What other schools would you suggest I apply to in addition to BU/BC.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I'd throw in the ED application at BU. I think this is a no brainer. If they accept you, you have a free ride to a peer school of BC, which is objectively a better decision. If they don't accept you ED, you are in no worse shape than before and are free to field any offer BC will give you.

Yea, this is a duh. If you want to be at BU or BC, throw an ED app to BU.... if you don't get the full-ride, then try to leverage whatever you get between them and go to the cheaper.

+1, from someone who goes to BC. With those numbers though I'd probably be looking at T14. It all depends on how big of a factor money is.

edit: to answer your last question, I'd say MVP down is worth the app fee.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04 am

Well I'm honestly not sure how much of an issue money will be until I graduate and can't find a job to pay off my loans. :lol: I'd like debt to be minimal, as I'm sure everyone does. I can reduce my COL significantly if I go to school in Boston and that's where I'd like to practice law. Also, from what I've heard BU/BC have great networks in Boston. I'm not sure if a t14 school that I could get into would place better in the Boston area than BU/BC?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 am

If you're absolutely set on BU then go ahead and ED.

But, most of the T14 is in play for you. A 4.0/168 got into Uchi last cycle, so you have to ask yourself if BU is what you really want.

Also, if you do get into a school like Chi, NYU, or Columbia, you may very well be able to leverage a full scholly (or close to it) out of BU anyways.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:16 am

minnbills wrote:If you're absolutely set on BU then go ahead and ED.

But, most of the T14 is in play for you. A 4.0/168 got into Uchi last cycle, so you have to ask yourself if BU is what you really want.

Also, if you do get into a school like Chi, NYU, or Columbia, you may very well be able to leverage a full scholly (or close to it) out of BU anyways.

+1. You should seriously contemplate applying to some T14 schools. Applying broadly it isn't crazy that you might get around 20k a year from a school in the MVP range. Think about ED'ing to your favorite of CCN instead of BU. If you apply to BU and BC regular decision you should be able to leerae a substantial scholarship out of at least one of them. Granted you may not get a full ride at either, but looking at your options is in your case well worth it, IMO.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 am

That's why this is a tough decision for me. I'm not necessarily set on BC/BU as much as I am on moving back to Boston and practicing in Boston. I've been in South Carolina for the last 4 years and love it here. But as of right now Boston is where I'd like to be. Yet at the same time I don't know if I'd want to blow an opportunity at a better school that could potentially place me in a better job.
I've been looking on LSP and putting a list together of places I might apply. (mainly by the locations I think I wouldn't mind living)

BU (ED),BC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UT Austin (possibly), Michigan, Georgetown(wasn't considering before, but I just started researching it), Chicago(?). Again, I'm not sure if ED to BU would be reasonable with applying to all other schools (except BC) that are ranked better than BU. I guess I need to weigh all the options/possibilities and try to make a decision before the ED deadline. I'll take into consideration any pros/cons y'all can inform me of on these schools or anything else you can share.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Did you end up applying ED to BU?

I am looking for people who got the full scholarship to start gathering numbers.

I want to see what they look for.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 pm

kerrigaa wrote:That's why this is a tough decision for me. I'm not necessarily set on BC/BU as much as I am on moving back to Boston and practicing in Boston. I've been in South Carolina for the last 4 years and love it here. But as of right now Boston is where I'd like to be. Yet at the same time I don't know if I'd want to blow an opportunity at a better school that could potentially place me in a better job.
I've been looking on LSP and putting a list together of places I might apply. (mainly by the locations I think I wouldn't mind living)

BU (ED),BC, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UT Austin (possibly), Michigan, Georgetown(wasn't considering before, but I just started researching it), Chicago(?). Again, I'm not sure if ED to BU would be reasonable with applying to all other schools (except BC) that are ranked better than BU. I guess I need to weigh all the options/possibilities and try to make a decision before the ED deadline. I'll take into consideration any pros/cons y'all can inform me of on these schools or anything else you can share.

Last edited by bobbyh1919 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Yeah I decided on applying BU ED. Haven't received a response yet and as stated earlier, no one knows what they're looking for. If I get in I'll be more than happy to go back home with a full scholarship. I also applied to UVA, Michigan, Cornell, BC, and Georgetown. So, if I don't get BU hopefully one of those schools will bite. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”