Columbia ED or RD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:29 pm

3.98/170, which puts me well above their 75th GPA but below their median LSAT. Should I ED to Columbia and forego other schools where I have a semi-shot (Stanford, Harvard), or should I risk the ding and bank on a peer school (Chicago, NYU)? New York would work really well for my fiancee and I, and let's be honest, Columbia>NYU. So, thoughts?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm

anewaphorist wrote:3.98/170, which puts me well above their 75th GPA but below their median LSAT. Should I ED to Columbia and forego other schools where I have a semi-shot (Stanford, Harvard), or should I risk the ding and bank on a peer school (Chicago, NYU)? New York would work really well for my fiancee and I, and let's be honest, Columbia>NYU. So, thoughts?

More importantly, are you ok with paying sticker at Columbia when you could get a good scholly at one or more of MVPDN?

And let's be honest, the Columbia/NYU difference is way overstated here. Don't pay appreciably more for Columbia if NYU happens to throw some $$ your way.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Columbia at sticker is a burden, but one that's well worth it IMHO. As for schollys to MVP, I'm assuming they wouldn't be enough (100k or more) to sway me.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:59 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Columbia at sticker is a burden, but one that's well worth it IMHO. As for schollys to MVP, I'm assuming they wouldn't be enough (100k or more) to sway me.

Between scholly $ and COL differences, you'd probably end up paying ~75k less at the next mini-tier down. If you think Columbia's worth the extra money, then go ahead and press the ED button.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 pm

I think it's worth the money, but that doesn't mean that I don't want a chance at Stanford or a surprise scholarship from Chicago, Penn, or UMich. I am a somewhat unique applicant, but maybe I'm just buying into the adcoms' rote disclaimer that they look beyond the numbers.

CodyRuegger
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby CodyRuegger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:20 am

You seem to have a respectable shot at Stanford. If you'd rather go there than Columbia, then I'd RD.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks! Things have changed somewhat, since I got a Columbia fee waiver today. I know that's no guarantee of admission, but my LSAT is, honestly, weaker than my GPA (and the email stated that the waiver was based solely off LSAT performance). Does anyone apply ED with a fee waiver? Is that an oxymoron?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:21 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Thanks! Things have changed somewhat, since I got a Columbia fee waiver today. I know that's no guarantee of admission, but my LSAT is, honestly, weaker than my GPA (and the email stated that the waiver was based solely off LSAT performance). Does anyone apply ED with a fee waiver? Is that an oxymoron?


Fee waiver doesn't mean anything. People with far worse numbers have gotten Columbia fee waivers.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes, but I guess the real question is, did they get in RD?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby ahduth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Yes, but I guess the real question is, did they get in RD?


Fee waivers are completely irrelevant. CLS didn't give me one, but accepted me RD. I would ignore them entirely for any sort of analysis you're attempting to do here.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia ED or RD

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Fee waivers are completely irrelevant. CLS didn't give me one, but accepted me RD. I would ignore them entirely for any sort of analysis you're attempting to do here


Ha, analysis? I was soliciting it, not providing any. Notice the question marks above? Good to hear your anecdotes, though, as well as Tiago's...

I know that's no guarantee of admission


I guess, more than anything, I was trying to ascertain whether the fee waiver (based solely off what I consider a nondescript score) combined with my 90+% GPA would render ED unnecessary. It's a tough nut to crack, trying to pick one school to ED to...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests