Goal = Zero Debt...suggestions?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Goal = Zero Debt...suggestions?

Postby 1898 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

Relevant Info: 3.97/166/non-URM/strong softs and WE

As a poor standardized test taker, I was thrilled to see that I scored a 166 on the Oct. LSAT after getting a 160 in June. However, with this new score I'm overwhelmed by my options. My goal is minimal debt, not necessarily prestige. With my previous score, I was going to apply to the following schools:

Pepperdine
USD
Penn State
U Pittsburgh
U Denver
U Oregon
Seattle U
Michigan State

Now I'm thinking about adding:

William and Mary
U Washington
U Colorado

Other suggestions?

Bildungsroman

Re: Goal = Zero Debt...suggestions?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 am

Keep in mind a couple things:

1. Very few schools offer stipends beyond tuition, so you'll have to cover living expenses through a source other than scholarships (e.g. loans, savings).
2. Many lower-ranked schools have stipulations on their scholarships that make them very hard to keep. Make sure to check those stipulations and factor into your consideration that you have a high chance of losing a scholarship with oppressive stipulations.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Keep in mind a couple things:

1. Very few schools offer stipends beyond tuition, so you'll have to cover living expenses through a source other than scholarships (e.g. loans, savings).
2. Many lower-ranked schools have stipulations on their scholarships that make them very hard to keep. Make sure to check those stipulations and factor into your consideration that you have a high chance of losing a scholarship with oppressive stipulations.

This.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am

Indiana, Iowa & Illinois.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Grizz wrote:

This.

Sticker at UVA will still probably serve you far better than a full ride at Indiana.

Or if you're that concerned about debt, just retake.

Also, some of these schools (Penn State and Pitt in particular) don't offer full-tuition scholarships anyway.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Where do you want to work?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:41 pm

If you want to graduate debt-free, I strongly recommend working for a few years. You can save money like crazy, and build your resume for OCI, etc.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Nobody's going to suggest ED to WUSTL?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm

You need to ask yourself why you want to minimize debt. Is it because you dont want biglaw?

Frankly, the legal market is terrible for all jbos, including PI. If you are really risk adverse, I wouldn't enter the legal market at all.

There is a huge difference in job placement between lower t14 schools ( something your numbers should be able to get you into) vs the schools you listed T1/T2 schools.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:05 pm

William and Mary is a public school, So I doubt you'll get anything close to a full ride, if debt is your #1 concern.

Yeshia90 wrote:Nobody's going to suggest ED to WUSTL?

Thread title: Goal = Zero Debt

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 pm

This. If you're that opposed to debt, don't go to LS. Taking on too much debt is stupid but not taking on $20K when you would to buy a car, etc is equally stupid.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:William and Mary is a public school, So I doubt you'll get anything close to a full ride, if debt is your #1 concern.

I'm an idiot, meant to say GWU.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:38 pm

As dumb as this sounds, Pitt will only give you 14k a year.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:William and Mary is a public school, So I doubt you'll get anything close to a full ride, if debt is your #1 concern.

I don't think the OP can land GW ED with those numbers.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

Might be a bit of a reach, but if the other schools are safeties aiming for money, what's the harm?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

Might be a bit of a reach, but if the other schools are safeties aiming for money, what's the harm?[/quote]
Mostly because OP will have wasted his ED. He'll probably get in RD... just at sticker.

goop92

Postby goop92 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

If little to no debt is your only or main concern, apply to BYU.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 pm

1898 wrote:Relevant Info: 3.97/166/non-URM/strong softs and WE

As a poor standardized test taker, I was thrilled to see that I scored a 166 on the Oct. LSAT after getting a 160 in June. However, with this new score I'm overwhelmed by my options. My goal is minimal debt, not necessarily prestige. With my previous score, I was going to apply to the following schools:

Pepperdine
USD
Penn State
U Pittsburgh
U Denver
U Oregon
Seattle U
Michigan State

Now I'm thinking about adding:

William and Mary
U Washington
U Colorado

Other suggestions?

ED to BU or NW.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:57 pm

William and Mary doesn't give full rides (according to the admissions officers at last year's ASW).
So debt-free from there isn't an option.

Your best bet is going to be IU-B.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Might be a bit of a reach, but if the other schools are safeties aiming for money, what's the harm?

Mostly because OP will have wasted his ED. He'll probably get in RD... just at sticker.

But are there any other schools for which applying ED provides such a definitive scholarship boost?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Might be a bit of a reach, but if the other schools are safeties aiming for money, what's the harm?

But are there any other schools for which applying ED provides such a definitive scholarship boost?

BU. It's their first year offering such an option (much less ED in the first place), but it could be worthwhile.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:12 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

BU. It's their first year offering such an option (much less ED in the first place), but it could be worthwhile.

Moreso than GWU¿

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Mostly because OP will have wasted his ED. He'll probably get in RD... just at sticker.

Moreso than GWU¿

Better biglaw placement, plus since it's the first year, just who will and who won't be accepted will be a bit unpredictable.

Postby 1898 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. In response to your various questions: Yes, I'm debt averse; however, I'm willing to take on $50K of debt or so if it means significantly better job prospects. Also, I have enough savings to cover COL (even in an expensive area), so that's not a big concern to me.

Although a full-ride would be nice, I recognize that this is unrealistic. I just want to graduate with as little debt as possible and am unsure which schools would allow me to do that with my numbers.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

1898 wrote:Thanks for your suggestions. In response to your various questions: Yes, I'm debt averse; however, I'm willing to take on $50K of debt or so if it means significantly better job prospects. Also, I have enough savings to cover COL (even in an expensive area), so that's not a big concern to me.

Although a full-ride would be nice, I recognize that this is unrealistic. I just want to graduate with as little debt as possible and am unsure which schools would allow me to do that with my numbers.

Even if you don't get the full ride, you should be able to pull a fairly significant scholarship at BU, and it's one of the best schools outside of the T14, so I'd highly recommend that.

Best shots for little debts and decent prospects for you:
WUSTL
Emory
BC
BU
IU-B
Minnesota
UIUC
W&M

Though I acknowledge this list has a heave east coast bias, I don't know much about west coast schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”