CLS v NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

CLS v NYU

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I'd just like to clarify that the only people who consider NYU and CLS peer schools are those that go to NYU. US News is irrelevant. Bring on the onslaught.

Also, I'm bored and this one always seems to get people going.

kaiser

Gold

Re: CLS v NYU

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Dude, stop wasting our time. We know you go to CLS and like to debate this nonsense. This isn't going to get anyone going.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

It's true

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 pm

2 posts in under 5 minutes...looks promising.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

I definitely think CLS is in a different class than NYU. Probably like HYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CC>>N>>>>>>>Rest of T14 in order.

Especially since NYU is so big, which leads to more job competition. I've heard that 1/3 of NYU completely struck this year at OCI so many times here...is this true or not?

CLS on the other hand is much smaller, so less job competition, and at least has a physical campus (which is important to me). Not sure about OCI stats there this year. Anyone have experience/struck out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Curious1 wrote:I definitely think CLS is in a different class than NYU. Probably like HYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CC>>N>>>>>>>Rest of T14 in order.

Especially since NYU is so big, which leads to more job competition. I've heard that 1/3 of NYU completely struck this year at OCI so many times here...is this true or not?

CLS on the other hand is much smaller, so less job competition, and at least has a physical campus (which is important to me). Not sure about OCI stats there this year. Anyone have experience/struck out?
Not sure on NYU OCI, but I don't know a single person at CLS without a job unless they are clerking (but I bet there are, they just keep it quiet), with the majority being V100s.

I would think though that a 1/3rd sounds high, but I wouldn't know.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Curious1 wrote:Especially since NYU is so big, which leads to more job competition. I've heard that 1/3 of NYU completely struck this year at OCI so many times here...is this true or not?

Aren't CLS and NYU pretty much the same size?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:30 pm

quiver wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Especially since NYU is so big, which leads to more job competition. I've heard that 1/3 of NYU completely struck this year at OCI so many times here...is this true or not?

Yes, they are both big. NYU is a bit bigger though. Something like 1300 to 1500. Not sure where "much smaller" comes from

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Curious1 wrote:I definitely think CLS is in a different class than NYU. Probably like HYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CC>>N>>>>>>>Rest of T14 in order.

There is a gap, but not nearly enough of one to justify paying substantially more for one over the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm

kaiser wrote:
quiver wrote:

Yes, they are both big. NYU is a bit bigger though. Something like 1300 to 1500. Not sure where "much smaller" comes from
Oh really? Sorry for some reason I thought NYU and H were the only two with more than 300 per class. Thought CLS was like 200...OOPS!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:33 pm

There is a gap, but not nearly enough of one to justify paying substantially more for one over the other.
I really think the lack of a physical campus and reputation of the students are dealbreakers for me. If it came down to choosing between the two, even with substantial money from NYU, I'd have to take CLS. If NYU gave me a full ride and CLS gave me nothing...rest assured the thread will be made if it comes to that.
Last edited by Curious1 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Curious1 wrote:
I really think the lack of a physical campus and reputation of the students are dealbreakers for me. If it came down to choosing between the two, I'd have to take CLS, barring something outrageous like a full ride to NYU. Rest assured that thread will be made if it comes to that.
What reputation? The super liberal, hipster thing? Thats more of an undergrad phenomenon than a law school one (though the super liberal thing is certainly true, and a bit off-putting to people like me who aren't quite as liberal as those around me)
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:39 pm

I want to do public interest and for my interests, NYU seems better to me. Also, the reputation of students seems better at NYU than CLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 pm

What reputation? The super liberal, hipster thing?
Yes, also just the general vibe I get from them from campus visits and brochures and people I know who go there (for UG and LS and BS)

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

freestallion wrote:I want to do public interest and for my interests, NYU seems better to me. Also, the reputation of students seems better at NYU than CLS.
Well...that's probably because we like different kinds of people. I hope we can still be friends though :?:

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in public interest or government. If I strike out at biglaw I probably WILL commit suicide or at least go into deep depression. Not trolling at all.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Last I heard the NYU Law students were at the Occupy Wall Street movement complaining that CLS students took their jobs.

They seemed especially upset about Cleary, since OWS is right next to Cleary's office.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Curious1 wrote:
freestallion wrote:I want to do public interest and for my interests, NYU seems better to me. Also, the reputation of students seems better at NYU than CLS.
Well...that's probably because we like different kinds of people. I hope we can still be friends though :?:
Yeah, its def different kinds of people. I dated a girl who went to Columbia (graduated last year), so I was there a lot and the student culture is a bit different. NYU is more international, eclectic, hipster-ish, seemingly public-interest focused (though the actual number of people who go into it can't be as high as the number of people who sound like they are going into it). From the experiences I had visiting CLS, the people were a bit more preppy, business-focused, a bit more homogeneous (though still quite diverse), But to be entirely honest, having spent so much time at both places (though never actually attending class at Columbia), the students and the culture are more similar than not, and there wasn't really much of a perceivable difference. People like to play up differences for purposes of making school choices, but in reality, its splitting hairs more than anything else.
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Curious1 wrote:

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in public interest or government. If I strike out at biglaw I probably WILL commit suicide or at least go into deep depression. Not trolling at all.
Only if you want to be friends with a super liberal public interest-y type who probably fits in better at Berkeley :P

I guess I see a big difference b/w NYU and CLS in terms of "fit" since the student bodies seem quite different. And if you're ONLY talking about corporate law then I can see why CLS is the clear winner. But NYU seems to do great in other areas, like PI, govt, etc. I say the personal fit aspect is important, too. You're going to be at a school for 3 years, so why not choose someplace where you'll be happiest?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Only if you want to be friends with a super liberal public interest-y type who probably fits in better at Berkeley
I love liberals (not the super in-your-face kind that annoys everyone) and wish I could do public interest...but I like/am addicted to money too much...I think I'll assuage my guilt by donating some of the money I (hope to) make.

If I had to choose between in-your-face liberal PI ppl and uptight douchebags...that's a tough choice. So it has to come down to the moderate students that make up most of the student body.

Again...if it comes down to that. I will make multiple threads.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Curious1 wrote:
I really think the lack of a physical campus and reputation of the students are dealbreakers for me. If it came down to choosing between the two, even with substantial money from NYU, I'd have to take CLS. If NYU gave me a full ride and CLS gave me nothing...rest assured the thread will be made if it comes to that.
It's your money. If you want to spend it based on aesthetics, that's your business. That being said, passing up a full ride at NYU for sticker at Columbia is beyond stupid.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
It's your money. If you want to spend it based on aesthetics, that's your business. That being said, passing up a full ride at NYU for sticker at Columbia is beyond stupid.
The Ivy League is way over rated anyways. Better to play it safe - go to a state school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Probably, but I don't see that scenario happening...I would think if you had the numbers to get a full ride at NYU then you'd get at least something at CLS, and of course vice versa. I'd probably say I'm willing to pay up to...an extra 50K to be at CLS. That's how much the gap is worth to me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Probably, but I don't see that scenario happening...I would think if you had the numbers to get a full ride at NYU then you'd get at least something at CLS, and of course vice versa. I'd probably say I'm willing to pay up to...an extra 50K to be at CLS. That's how much the gap is worth to me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
50k over three years? That isn't crazy at all. The difference in employment prospects can definitely justify the extra $.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Number of enrolled law students from a USNews 2010 publication:

Georgetown 1,982
Harvard 1,771
GWU 1,632
Fordham 1,469
NYU 1,427
Columbia 1,310
Texas 1,182
Virginia 1,122
Michigan 1,117
UCLA 1,011

SMU 903
UC-Berkeley 892
WashUStL 856
BU 830
BC 814
Northwestern 814
Penn 790
Minnesota 766
UNC 765
Emory 715
Georgia 694

Ohio State 669
Duke 661
Wm. & Mary 626
Cornell 622
Indiana 620
USC 618
Illinois 617
Yale 613
Vanderbilt 594
Chicago 590

Iowa 590
ASU 576
Stanford 557
Oklahoma 550
Notre Dame 548
Alabama 547
Colorado 547
Univ. Wash. 530
Wake Forest 476
Arizona 475

Baylor 465
BYU 447
West Virginia 418
Utah 400
Cincinnati 391
Wash. & Lee 390
New Mexico 351
Hawaii 326
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Number of enrolled law students from a USNews 2010 publication:

Georgetown 1,982
Harvard 1,771
GWU 1,632
Fordham 1,469
NYU 1,427
Columbia 1,310
Texas 1,182
Virginia 1,122
Michigan 1,117
UCLA 1,011
SMU 903
UC-Berkeley 892
WashUStL 856
BU 830
BC 814
Northwestern 814
Penn 790
Minnesota 766
UNC 765
Emory 715
Georgia 694
Ohio State 669
Duke 661
Wm. & Mary 626
Cornell 622
Indiana 620
USC 618
Illinois 617
Yale 613
Vanderbilt 594
Chicago 590
Iowa 590
ASU 576
Stanford 557
Oklahoma 550
Notre Dame 548
Alabama 547
Colorado 547
Univ. Wash. 530
Wake Forest 476
Arizona 475
Baylor 465
BYU 447
West Virginia 418
Utah 400
Cincinnati 391
Wash. & Lee 390
New Mexico 351
Hawaii 326
does this include LLMs or is it just JDs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”