Southeastern Tier 1's

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
murray18

Southeastern Tier 1's

Postby murray18 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey folks,

Thus far I've only gotten into FSU, but I'm trying to get a head start on my decision strategy. My top 3 schools at this point are UGA, Alabama, and FSU. Obviously I want to stay in the southeast, and I'm very debt adverse, so scholarship money will be VERY important...

BUT, assuming they all somehow cost the same, how would you compare these schools? UGA is near a big legal market, Bama is the best school in its state, and FSU is in it's state capital... How can one differentiate these schools, since they are close enough in ranking to where (I would think) that shouldn't play much of a role?

What are some other factors you guys would weigh in a decision like this? Employment statistics (which I have a hard enough time deciphering in the first place), special programs, section size, library, attrition rate, faculty, climate, quality of the football program, etc etc?

Thanks in advance.

NYC Law

Re: Southeastern Tier 1's

Postby NYC Law » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

All that really matters is which state you want to work in (and cost).

These are all pretty insulated states, so just go to the school for the state you prefer.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm

you should also consider ties. the school you go to is a weak tie to its market at best.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Yeah, what matters the most is in what state you want to work in. I'd say out of those three that the "best" school is Alabama.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Yeah, what matters the most is in what state you want to work in. I'd say out of those three that the "best" school is Alabama.

Why

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 pm

f0bolous wrote:you should also consider ties. the school you go to is a weak tie to its market at best.

Not sure about this. I was at UGA as a 1L and was able to get a 1L SA in Atlanta just by talking up the city and being at UGA.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
f0bolous wrote:you should also consider ties. the school you go to is a weak tie to its market at best.

Not sure about this. I was at UGA as a 1L and was able to get a 1L SA in Atlanta just by talking up the city and being at UGA.

Dawg u had stratospheric grades. Also ATL is not that parochial.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:

you also kick-assed grade-wise as a 1L. it's definitely a lot more of an uphill battle when you don't have legit ties to the area, even if your school is in that market. i was grilled relentlessly by every firm for ties—luckily, some firms took a chance on me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”