Part-time evening programs in NYC - when do classes meet? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tanzie

New

Part-time evening programs in NYC - when do classes meet?

Post by tanzie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

My question is for all the brave part-time evening TLS students who attend law school in NYC. What time do your classes begin, and, most importantly, what time do they get out?

My background: I live and work an hour away in the suburbs, and I don't have the option to change jobs or move any closer to the city or to attend school full time. Because my commute would be so long, I am very concerned about what time I would be getting home. I am particularly interested in the PT evening schedules of Fordham, Brooklyn and NYLS. I've heard discrepant stories from adcomms, students and alumni. Any input from current students would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

jrock12

Bronze

Re: Part-time evening programs in NYC - when do classes meet?

Post by jrock12 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 am

Fordham:
First year classes typically start at 6 or 6:30 p.m. and end at anywhere from 7:50 to 8:50p.m. Upper level classes start around the same time, but you will have the opportunity to take some classes that will go until 9:45 p.m. You could likely avoid some of these later classes with some strategy in scheduling, but you'd also likely be missing out on some interest classes by doing this.

tanzie

New

Post by tanzie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:52 am

Awesome, that's very comforting! I could handle a late night class once a week, especially if it's an interesting elective, but I was just worried about getting home at midnight, four nights a week, for four straight years. Phew!

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm currently at 1LE (the E denotes evening) at Fordham my schedule is as follows:

M: 6-7:30
T: 6-8:20; 8:30-9:20
W: 6:30-8:40
Th: 6-7:30; 7:55-9:45

Looks like next semester will be pretty much 6-9 most days, with one day that goes closer to 10 and one that ends around 8:30.

The late nights can be rough, to be honest, but it's manageable overall. Evening students who are working just can't be as insane about studying as a lot of the people you see on this board, but you figure out what works for you.

I know a few people who are commuting from the 'burbs, though I can't so for sure that any are coming from an hour away. That would have to be a call that you make. If you're good at time management and you're super-disciplined, I do think you can make the work/commute/study situation work and still do well in your courses.

tanzie

New

Post by tanzie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 am

Thank you both so much for the info, Fordham 1LEs!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”