Northwestern ED Application Pool

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Samara

Re: Northwestern ED Application Pool

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:45 pm

More info from Johann via G+

Q) How binding is the early decision program? Can I apply to multiple schools via binding early decision? What happens if I'm denied or placed on hold/waitlisted?

A) The whole premise behind a binding early decision program is that if admitted you are 100% committed to attend- period! Under that premise, how can a person bind themselves to multiple schools? Can you be 100% committed and attend two schools simultaneously? Yes, there are ways to game the system. However, a few of us schools do share our ED lists and if a duplicate appears, bad things may happen (LSAC misconduct investigation, revocation of offers, etc). Not a great start to your legal career, right? Some schools may not give a hoot-- I'm more of a purist on these things. I have revoked offers in the past for this situation. I truly believe it is best to be honest with the process and do ED to the ONE school that you really want to go to above all others (sorry, HYS do not have ED programs). If you are denied or placed on hold/waitlist, you are released from the ED contract (meaning-- you can pursue other offers. If we do admit, you can also turn down our offer).

Still inconclusive, but implies that it's okay to pursue other ED programs, right?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Samara wrote:More info from Johann via G+

Q) How binding is the early decision program? Can I apply to multiple schools via binding early decision? What happens if I'm denied or placed on hold/waitlisted?

A) The whole premise behind a binding early decision program is that if admitted you are 100% committed to attend- period! Under that premise, how can a person bind themselves to multiple schools? Can you be 100% committed and attend two schools simultaneously? Yes, there are ways to game the system. However, a few of us schools do share our ED lists and if a duplicate appears, bad things may happen (LSAC misconduct investigation, revocation of offers, etc). Not a great start to your legal career, right? Some schools may not give a hoot-- I'm more of a purist on these things. I have revoked offers in the past for this situation. I truly believe it is best to be honest with the process and do ED to the ONE school that you really want to go to above all others (sorry, HYS do not have ED programs). If you are denied or placed on hold/waitlist, you are released from the ED contract (meaning-- you can pursue other offers. If we do admit, you can also turn down our offer).

Still inconclusive, but implies that it's okay to pursue other ED programs, right?

Yup, after getting denied/held/etc. You wouldn't be able to do, say, UVa --> NU --> GULC though.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:More info from Johann via G+

Yup, after getting denied/held/etc. You wouldn't be able to do, say, UVa --> NU --> GULC though.

Right.

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't want to make a new thread. If the goal is biglaw then is a full ride at NU worth the decreased biglaw prospects relative to ccn? I am starting to realize how debt averse I am, but I'm also nervous about ED and not "testing the market" so to speak. I don't want to sound presumptuous though since I'm a splitter I don't know how competitive I am

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 am

I would take a full ride unless I got significant money from CCN or got into HYS.

It's pretty damn nice to go for so damn cheap to one of the best schools in the country.

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:56 am

thelawyler wrote:I would take a full ride unless I got significant money from CCN or got into HYS.

It's pretty damn nice to go for so damn cheap to one of the best schools in the country.

Trick is trying to figure out the biglaw difference.

I don't think I'll get significant money from CCN.

What do you think? Is there a 10-20% better chance at CCN for biglaw? Bigger, smaller? It's hard to tell from the stats, if I knew that I could better decide if 150k is worth it.

Again I don't want to sound presumptuous or dismissive of a full-ride I LOVED NU when I visited last week, I am just super worried about the economy upon graduation.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 am

Strange wrote:
thelawyler wrote:I would take a full ride unless I got significant money from CCN or got into HYS.

What do you think? Is there a 10-20% better chance at CCN for biglaw? Bigger, smaller? It's hard to tell from the stats, if I knew that I could better decide if 150k is worth it.

Again I don't want to sound presumptuous or dismissive of a full-ride I LOVED NU when I visited last week, I am just super worried about the economy upon graduation.

I guess it depends on your financial situation. If the debt upon the chance of not finding employment in the T14 (like 25% or so?) is not a problem, sure go maximize your Big Law chances. But I guess I'd say the risk of striking out in this economy is very real even at the top and thus a full ride at a great school is probably an amazing choice. In fact, the bad economy should be a bigger reason to pick the money, unless the money isn't that big of an issue.

In terms of chances, I'd say 10% or so boost at CCN looks about right from previous year stats. Of course, there is also a boost based into firms higher up the V100, but I wouldn't say it's worth a 150,000 difference. But that's just me.

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 am

Do you think there is any chance that a 3.2/174 with no Full-time WE could get accepted to NU ED now? That would be my dream scenario but I realize that the no WE could hold it back along with maybe higher standards now.....

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

splitster1221 wrote:Do you think there is any chance that a 3.2/174 with no Full-time WE could get accepted to NU ED now? That would be my dream scenario but I realize that the no WE could hold it back along with maybe higher standards now.....

Probably not, but applying ED should still give you a boost if you get held for RD.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am

Strange wrote:

Are you looking to stay in Chicago after graduation? This is sort of what made the decision for me. If I had wanted to live in NYC or Cali, I probably wouldn't have ED'ed but NU's job prospects in Chi are pretty darn good.

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:48 am

thelawyler wrote:
Strange wrote:

I guess it depends on your financial situation. If the debt upon the chance of not finding employment in the T14 (like 25% or so?) is not a problem, sure go maximize your Big Law chances. But I guess I'd say the risk of striking out in this economy is very real even at the top and thus a full ride at a great school is probably an amazing choice. In fact, the bad economy should be a bigger reason to pick the money, unless the money isn't that big of an issue.

In terms of chances, I'd say 10% or so boost at CCN looks about right from previous year stats. Of course, there is also a boost based into firms higher up the V100, but I wouldn't say it's worth a 150,000 difference. But that's just me.

I have no undergrad debt but I have very little in savings. My current piece of paper from my undergrad institution isn't worth a whole lot in this economy :lol: So debt would be as much of a problem for me as anyone else.

Thanks for the response though, this helps. What does it mean in terms of tangible benefits though, as far as working further up in the V100?

Are you looking to stay in Chicago after graduation? This is sort of what made the decision for me. If I had wanted to live in NYC or Cali, I probably wouldn't have ED'ed but NU's job prospects in Chi are pretty darn good.

My only goal after grad is to stay in a big city... I'd probably be 100% happy with staying in Chicago, but I can't say for sure because I've only been there a couple times and never lived there.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:41 pm

splitster1221 wrote:Do you think there is any chance that a 3.2/174 with no Full-time WE could get accepted to NU ED now? That would be my dream scenario but I realize that the no WE could hold it back along with maybe higher standards now.....

The problem, and the reason people are pulling their hair out over this, is that we have no clue

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:The problem, and the reason people are pulling their hair out over this, is that we have no clue

+1

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:51 pm

elibrarian wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:The problem, and the reason people are pulling their hair out over this, is that we have no clue

+1

I think you are about as close to ED secure as they come though

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

+1

You think I am or elibrarian is?

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:02 pm

splitster1221 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

+1

Librarian is above both medians

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

+1

Gee, thanks. <3

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Strange wrote:
splitster1221 wrote:

Librarian is above both medians

us, OTOH....

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Is anyone else above both medians considering this ED, or would you rather take a shot at T10??

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Strange wrote:Is anyone else above both medians considering this ED, or would you rather take a shot at T10??

One other guy in the NW applicants thread is above both medians and applying ED.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:23 pm

I think I'm out of this pool. Pretty sure I'm doing UChi ED

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Strange wrote:Is anyone else above both medians considering this ED, or would you rather take a shot at T10??

One other guy in the NW applicants thread is above both medians and applying ED.

I don't know if you mean me but yes, I am.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 pm

basilseal wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I don't know if you mean me but yes, I am.

yeah, he was referring to you

cj03

Postby cj03 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Where do you get the ED form which needs to be signed?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:20 pm

cj03 wrote:Where do you get the ED form which needs to be signed?

It's part of the app, under forms.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”