Pepperdine - LGBT friendly?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
llachans

Pepperdine - LGBT friendly?

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm

I know Pepperdine has a conservative reputation. Any thoughts on the feelings towards LGBT individuals on campus?

caputlupinum

Re: Pepperdine - LGBT friendly?

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

llachans wrote:I know Pepperdine has a conservative reputation. Any thoughts on the feelings towards LGBT individuals on campus?

go to loyola and live in weho

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 pm

llachans wrote:I know Pepperdine has a conservative reputation. Any thoughts on the feelings towards LGBT individuals on campus?

It is strongly connected with the Church of Christ so I am sure it is not very lgbt friendly.

sfamor

Postby sfamor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:02 am

My friend who's a lesbian went there basically because she didn't get in anywhere else and was adamant about going to law school that year. Unfortunately, she really regretted the decision as it did turn out to be as conservative as she had heard it was and hardly found anyone that she connected with, gay or straight.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 am

sfamor wrote:My friend who's a lesbian went there basically because she didn't get in anywhere else and was adamant about going to law school that year. Unfortunately, she really regretted the decision as it did turn out to be as conservative as she had heard it was and hardly found anyone that she connected with, gay or straight.

This is really helpful. Thank you!

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 am

NO / thread. F**** evangelicalism.. srry.. used to be three but no more

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am

Do they even tolerate moderate Republicans ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdvanhorn1

Postby bdvanhorn1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:36 am

I actually went to Pepperdine for undergrad and spent some time in the law school (best food on campus). The people are more normal than the reputation would have you think. There were PLENTY of openly gay students in undergrad, and they weren't ostracized as such. Law schools in general tend to be more conservative than undergraduate campuses, so it is difficult to tell how understanding people will be.

It's also in Cali so that helps....

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 am

Most of my friends at pepperdine lean Libertarian if anything, and most young people don't give a fuck about being gay these days. That said there are a bunch of religious types there that might not be chill/accepting.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:57 am

I think that OP is primarily concerned with the law school atmosphere. The only attorneys I know who graduated Pepperdine Law were heavily involved in the Chritian Coalition & other very conservative causes, although they were not as extreme to the right as are Libertarians (who tend to be viewed as socially liberal due to their no-government philosophy) on most issues.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”